Are Lilliput in dash PC's any good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Lilliput in dash PC's any good?

I cannot find any real specs on these things but if sound quality is good, would not mind using this instead of head unit. Anyone with any experience or knowledge regarding this piece?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lilli...QQcmdZViewItem

It's based on an M10000 motherboard.
    If the performance of a 1Ghz Via C3 processor is acceptable to you, then yeah.
    Be aware that it's also S3 unichrome video (I call it Unicrap ) and Realtek AC97 audio.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      It's based on an M10000 motherboard.
      If the performance of a 1Ghz Via C3 processor is acceptable to you, then yeah.
      Be aware that it's also S3 unichrome video (I call it Unicrap ) and Realtek AC97 audio.
      so in other words it is an overpriced piece of junk the description mentioned a sound card but I guess there is none then, just on board audio?

Comment

I wouldn't call it a piece of junk....
        It is what it is: A low-powered PC. That's exactly what it's designed to be.

Is it a performance monster? Not at all. Will it play MP3s in your car and handle GPS navigation? Sure.

Realistically... Unless you're getting into Sound quality compoetition or you're any sort of an audiophile, the onboard Realtek audio chipset is just fine.
        How about the Wiki?

Comment

I have one and while it's not yet in the car, I do have it hooked up in the house. It's far from P4 performance but it's plenty powerful enough for what I will be using it for in the car. Software installation is noticeably slow when compared to faster pc's but other than that I thus far have no complaints. The drivers that come with it for the onboard video and sound are from 2004... S3's website has updated driver for both from 2006 that do a substantial amount of improvement IMHO. I have it connected to a Xenarc 700TSV monitor is the video quality is more than fine for all applications I've tested so far.

The built-in Bluetooth module is complete garbage. That's the only thing I've replaced so far, and I'm happy with it.
          My Grandma & Her Friends on Their Spring Vacation

Comment

I received two of these from Lilliput as demo units. They are great single din sized carpcs (but a little deeper than oem headunits). They are meant to be used in the dash along with or replacing the headunit even though they work well in the home with the PlayNow Bios. The front controls and remote are a bonus and they can be easily mapped as hotkeys in many front ends. The first one we put in a Toyota 4runner 4x4 and it took all the abuse of offroad racing, the second we are installing in a new FJ Cruiser. A tad bit overpriced if you ask me though.

Comment

Originally posted by ncervantez View Post
              A tad bit overpriced if you ask me though.
              well, they seem to be the only game in town as far as in dash PCs go. Are any of the internal parts replacable like in maybe upgrading the CPU or use an actual sound card? How is the sound quality using that supplied mini-RCA adapter?

Comment

I wouldn't call it a piece of junk....
                It is what it is: A low-powered PC. That's exactly what it's designed to be.

Is it a performance monster? Not at all. Will it play MP3s in your car and handle GPS navigation? Sure.

Realistically... Unless you're getting into Sound quality compoetition or you're any sort of an audiophile, the onboard Realtek audio chipset is just fine.
                well, I try to live up to my screen name and definitively lack any kind of computer expertise LOL My main objective for running car pc would be being able to store and play uncompressed music, bluetooth to work my phone while in car would be second (I can never hear my phone ring in the car). If there was a way to play some videos and run GPS, I would not say no to it either. Also, my phone runs on Windows, I am sure it would be compatible with Windows XP to run some minor tasks as well.

I originally tried to run a regular head unit with USB port and bluetooth and use an external HD but unortunately HUs can only process MP3 and WMV and my experience with MP3 in car has been horrible so far (I have Omnifi connected to my head unit through aux input and this thing sounds so aweful that I have never used it). So I am venturing out to in car PC to gain a source of uncompressed music...

Comment

Originally posted by totallyclueless View Post
                  well, they seem to be the only game in town as far as in dash PCs go. Are any of the internal parts replacable like in maybe upgrading the CPU or use an actual sound card? How is the sound quality using that supplied mini-RCA adapter?
                  Build your own using a miniITX motherboard as a foundation.
                  You wouldn't be the first.
                  The major work would be fabricating an enclosure...
                  How about the Wiki?

Comment

The processor is not replaceable in this unit unfortunately. If you have any question about whether it will be able to handle everything, go the route suggested by Darque... maybe even use the the Lilliput as the case (you'd just likely lose the functionality of the front panel buttons if you didn't think you could handle that kind of modding to a new board, but it seems like you're more concerned with getting it in dash). For what it's worth, I've tested it so far (again, not in the car) for music files, bluetooth cellphone and internet, GPS, XM, and DVD, and it works fine. Two caveats: one, I mentioned above, the bluetooth module and software that come with it both are trash. I replaced them with a Belkin dongle and Belking BT software, and it works great. The 2nd thing: I tried a USB audio solution (granted only one), and the pc operated significantly slower with that. I got rid of it and went back to onboard audio and back to good. Since I have not yet fully installed it, I don't know how the onboard audio will sound in my car, so I can't speak to that yet.
                    My Grandma & Her Friends on Their Spring Vacation

Comment

Build your own using a miniITX motherboard as a foundation.
                      You wouldn't be the first.
                      The major work would be fabricating an enclosure...
                      Couldn't you hack up the enclosure in the store (http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetai...Code=ENC%2D004)?

I know it says M10k only and low profile ram and all that, but if you opened it up and snipped out the CD drive, or something, you might be able to get a faster board in there... I have not seen the guts of the unit, and at $140, it would be a pricey gamble...\\

EDIT: Fixed the link, but DP already posted it, so no biggie. But meh...
                      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Fix your link, Toaster!
                        I think you mean this: http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetai...Code=ENC%2D004

The issue with that case is depth... It's far deeper than any dash I've ever seen, barring a Hummer H1.
                        How about the Wiki?

Comment

Fix your link, Toaster!
                          I think you mean this: http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetai...Code=ENC%2D004

The issue with that case is depth... It's far deeper than any dash I've ever seen, barring a Hummer H1.
                          LOL, my dash is pretty shallow, I am pretty handy with fiberglass work and have no problem with modding out the console to accommodate that Ebay thing. I am pretty much discouraged though by hearing how obsolete its components are. Real bummer. I am trying to avoid a remotely mounted puter because of all the extra wiring, need for external CD drive plus more opportunities to pick up noise along the way. If this is not a good idea, I will abandon it. Too bad though this thing seems to be the only one of a kind...

This is my plan B but I honestly would rather take the puter route...

http://www.midwestelectronics.com/bl...95c51d48954c1b

Comment

The reason why I thought in dash pc would be good was to minimize wire and hardware clutter, eliminating external disc drive, reducing wires and hopefully possibility of picking up any engine noise. I am getting this feeling that this PC is not a good idea due to its non upgradable design and pretty much obsolete components it uses.

Too bad this is the only game in town, I am surprised nobody else has something like this out?

Nevertheless, this is my plan b:

http://www.midwestelectronics.com/bl...95c51d48954c1b

the downside is I am stuck with MP3 format only so hopefully the sound quality would be better than Omnifi. BTW, are there any places out there that could build me a decent PC that would fit in DIN opening? I am pretty handy with fiberglass to accommodate a decent screen mount in my console.

Comment

Originally posted by Nola111 View Post
                              maybe even use the the Lilliput as the case (you'd just likely lose the functionality of the front panel buttons if you didn't think you could handle that kind of modding to a new board
                              The front controlls use usb headers which can be used with any usb header. I have tried it and it works fine. The front controls simulate a usb keyboard with the buttons mapped to certain keys.

Comment

Working...
                              X