Aux Input connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aux Input connection

Hey, I have a portable MP3 CD player, and am wanting to run a line through the head unit. The head unit is a high end, slightly older model Pioneer. On the aux cables in the back, the tag says, "front aux input/output" or "rear aux input/output" depending on which one. I hooked the cd player to the "front input/output" and activated the aux mode. when playing and in the aux mode, there is no sound coming out, Is there something I am missing as far as setup goes or what.

Can you post a pic of the rear of the Head Unit?
    or give us a url for the model number you have??
    It all looks a bit complicated to me

1st attempt went OK, but was too slow. Next version is all onboard, will use push buttons on the com ports, got a 200MHz 6x86, 128MB RAM, Winamp. Sproggy 2.6 kit in progress. 12GB Laptop HDD. No case yet!

Comment

i think it is DEH-P685, but I will have to check tonight and make sure.

Comment

Does it have an IP-BUS for the connection of a CD Autochanger.
        If it does, there is a guy selling an adaptor in the FOR SALE topic.

I have got a Pioneer Head Unit, I use an adaptor for the IP-BUS.
        it is Pioneer part number CDRB20 it cost me 50.

It might be a bit steep just to listen to a portable player, but it does allow the throughput of a CD Autochanger.

I don't know what sort of connection the AUX input is on your model. That's why I asked for a picture.

That's all I can think of.
        Appart form - Did you check the volume on both units. have you tried outputting from the portable player to, say, your home stereo?

1st attempt went OK, but was too slow. Next version is all onboard, will use push buttons on the com ports, got a 200MHz 6x86, 128MB RAM, Winamp. Sproggy 2.6 kit in progress. 12GB Laptop HDD. No case yet!

Comment

I am sorry, it is a DEH-P835R. It does have the ip bus for the changer, but it also has the two sets of RCA aux inputs, that is what I want to use, instead of buying the throughput thing.

Comment

I have got no idea then, sorry.

All I can suggest is that you try to identify the problem item.

Try playing your Portable player through your home stereo.
            Check the cable you are usinf for shorts. Try a different cable altogrther.
            Try using a different source. ie portable MiniDisk or tape player.

are you using the 'Line Out' on the portable player, or the 'Headphones Out'?

A quick search on the net found this:-
            http://www.carreview.com/PRD_3872_1804crx.aspx

You could try and email one of those guys, they may be able to offer better advice.

One of them says
            If you use the front and rear outputs as inputs the built in amp turns OFF! (I was trying to add my minidisc)
            I don't understand what effect this would have, but you could always email him to find out.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnB1182

A quick search on the net found this:-
              http://www.carreview.com/PRD_3872_1804crx.aspx

You could try and email one of those guys, they may be able to offer better advice.

One of them says

I don't understand what effect this would have, but you could always email him to find out.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.
              It would have the effect of turning the HU into a Preout only. Would need external amplification. The output would line level only I imagine.
              4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

So, what you are trying to say is, that I am screwed because Pioneer made a headunit with aux inputs that are utterly worthless without amplifing the input. That defeats the entire purpose of the aux inputs. Come on, anyone else, there has to be a way to make this crapper work, it was one of the most expensive headunits they make for goodness sakes. Thanks for the replies though.

Comment

Originally posted by dnorton
                  So, what you are trying to say is, that I am screwed because Pioneer made a headunit with aux inputs that are utterly worthless without amplifing the input. That defeats the entire purpose of the aux inputs. Come on, anyone else, there has to be a way to make this crapper work, it was one of the most expensive headunits they make for goodness sakes. Thanks for the replies though.
                  No imagine that when the Aux input, and only the Aux input is in use, the standard output becomes line level only requireing an amp on the output?

I take it you are using the speaker outs instead of Pre-outs, if it has any?

Don't suppose you have, or could borrow an amp that would take high level speaker output, and mess with the levels and see what it does, or try the preouts through an AMP?
                  4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

I have an Infinity Gold Sound System, so I have an external amplifier, it is not a big one, but it is an amplifier none the less.

Comment

I have an Infinity Gold Sound System, so I have an external amplifier, it is not a big one, but it is an amplifier none the less.

maybe I got it wrong on what that site said then. I shall have a look.
                      4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Looks like you might be right.

Weaknesses:
                        If you use the front and rear outputs as inputs the built in amp turns OFF! (I was trying to add my minidisc)

Very strange situation. have you contacted anyone at Pioneer or a decent Pioneer dealer about this "feature", and if it isn't for adding inputs when used as inputs, what's it for?
                        4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

If you connect the front and rear outputs as inputs the internal amp turns off, so where the hell would any sound come out? You cant add an amp because the front and rear preouts have been turned into inputs, and you can use speaker level to the amp because the internal amp shuts off! Isnt this a bit of a paradox?
                          -------------------------------------------
                          (=========-) 99% complete
                          --------------------------------------------
                          AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
                          All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
                          Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
                          ----------------------------------------------

Comment

I think thats why he needs to talk to a poineer dealer, or to pioneer itself. Very strange situation.
                            4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Well thanks guys, you rock...I will try to get a hold of them, so far unsuccesful.

Comment

Working...
                              X