hacking an earthmate for power?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hacking an earthmate for power?

I tried searching on here and google, and haven't really had much luck... I couldn't power it w/a standard usb->serial converter.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks
    Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
    Mods: Yep
    Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Try this. as for a homemade hack... that might be a bit difficult. Being not too smart with electronics (at least not smart enought to hack with confidence) I couldnt tell ya.

same cable but priced. $50...ouch!
    90% Done
    60W DC-DC & shutdown controller
    Via C3 800, 512mb Ram, HDD 75GB IBM Deskstar, 5.6" In dash Dcustoms LCD w/ 3m USB Touch setup
    Rockfors 400s 400W amp,2x 10" Rockford Subs, Sony CDX M730 Head unit
    All in a shiny White 2000 V6 Mustang
    Click here to visit my NEW PhotoAlbum

Comment

yeah... i saw those, and was trying to find a diy way to do it.

anyways... after having the earthmate for 2 days, i believe it's already broken, so I might just return it for a refund, and get the copilot bundle
      Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Have a look-see at this: http://wes.johnston.net/aprs/tripmate.htm

might help.

I hacked mined ... but for the power I just installed a nice little led-switch for when I want to use it.
        95 Honda Civic DX Coupe - In Progress
        mp3civic site

Comment

I rigged up mine .. I just wired right to the battery connectors and used an adapter.. you could probably use the power off of your mobo no problem.

there's shots of it on my site
          aka Kumaneko
          "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
          Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
          mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
          Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys... but i said screw it and am returning it since it street atlas can't even see the damn unit anymore.... haven't dropped it... i don't know why it suddenly died... even tried 2 different sets of fresh batteries...

so.. yeah... i splurged, and got the travroute usb one...

damn this is getting to be an expensive project!

Comment

I had a problem with street atlas deluxe like that .. sometimes it would take 2 hours to initialize!!!!!

with street atlas 9 it initializes damn near instantly and aquires very quickly
              aka Kumaneko
              "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
              Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
              mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
              Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

well.. i found out that something on my notebook got tweaked (probably when i pulled out the 802.11 card when it was going into suspend), and the settings for the port got stuck on like 4800 baud.
                once i got home, tried it on my other computer, and it worked, checked the notebook, and found the discrepancy in the port setting, so now i have this gps, and the travroute on order...
                crap... what do i do? break it so i can return it? sell it on here? or eat the $100?

Comment

Working...
                X