GPS Receiver behind glass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Receiver behind glass

Sorry if this has already been asked, but how well do GPS receivers (specifically the one in the Mp3Car store for about $55) perform when inside the car? In other words, does it still pick up a signal under the windshield? Thanks!

Mine works pretty well (as well as an often-cooked Rikaline can work) just sitting on the dash.
    JW™
    Powered By Sarcasm

Ranger: Just bought all my replacement goodies
    Expy: Kenwood KDC-X579 from the Ranger; unknown speakers/amp & 10" Earthquake sub, that all came with the truck

Comment

My BU-303 is on my dash and works pretty well.
      Carputer Project Status:
      0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
      Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

Comment

Ok thanks guys.

Comment

My 353 is under the dash and has been good so far
          Aron
          New Ipad
          Zapco DSP-6SL
          Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 right side
          Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 left side
          Zapco Reference 500.1: JL Audio 10W3V3 Stealth box

Comment

I hear some have problems getting a signal if your windshield is coated with a metallic film like the v-kool film.

cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStang View Post
              Sorry if this has already been asked, but how well do GPS receivers (specifically the one in the Mp3Car store for about $55) perform when inside the car? In other words, does it still pick up a signal under the windshield? Thanks!
              Depends on the senstivity of the GPS receiver. I hear the newer, SIRF III units are especially senstive and work well behind glass (and even inside parking garages). Conversely, I've found my older Delorme Earthmate (non SIRF III) does a bit better when on top of my Mustang than on the rear package shelf.

If you have a receiver, just try it both places...many receivers come with software that allows you to see the number and signal strength of the satellites the receiver is tracking...and the more, the better.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

I've recently got GLOBALSAT BU353 SiRF Star III. I'm extremely happy with its sensitivity. Once it's got the fix - it works literally everywhere in the car, even under the seat!
                Manufacturer claims -159 dBm sensitivity with this receiver, which is more than receivers I had experience with previously. And it doesn't seem to be a trick - you can really feel the difference. Before I barely got 3-4 satellites in the car and had to stick out antenna outside for sure signal whereas now I don't care where it is - I got 7 satellites at least in any case.

Also from my observations glass is transparent for GPS signal. (never dealt with metal coated glass though). What I noted to myself - is whenever I want to get GPS fix in the building - I need to get to a window. Be it open or closed one.

Comment

Well some tint is metallic, like mine is, so the GPS receiver cannot be placed by one of those windows. My car is like a big trap of wireless signals. Nothing leaves, and nothing dares to enter. Except from the windshield

Mine works inside by the windshield all by the glass, but not as well as if it were outside. Inside the car in the back, it doesn't work at all. In the middle, doesn't work at all. So by the windshield is best or outside is best-est if you have metallic tint.
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by parksgm View Post
                    Depends on the senstivity of the GPS receiver. I hear the newer, SIRF III units are especially senstive and work well behind glass (and even inside parking garages). Conversely, I've found my older Delorme Earthmate (non SIRF III) does a bit better when on top of my Mustang than on the rear package shelf.

If you have a receiver, just try it both places...many receivers come with software that allows you to see the number and signal strength of the satellites the receiver is tracking...and the more, the better.
                    On my 03 Mustang, the Earthmate did not work properly through the front windshield, but worked great on the rear package shelf until I installed metal Visus louvers. Again I was faced with a non-working GPS until I realized that it would work through the fiberglass trunk-lid, making for a stealth GPS-install.

Like I said, that was the Earthmate.

Since then, I've tested some GPSs with Sirfstar III chipsets in the passenger cabin, and I didn't have any problems with those.
                    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

My bu353 is strange a bit... Sometime under the windshield it take several minutes to get a fix and sometime it never fix. If i put it outside (but realy close to its position under the windshield, ie on the A-pillar) its fix normaly and have a good signal... Any idea?
                      Carputer Athlon X2 4200+
                      800tsv - Audigy 2 ZS - PowerMate - Wifi 802.11n
                      All Audio Tunning done via Software. 7 channels.
                      CDT ES-07 - HD2 - DRT25
                      ED Nine.2x
                      ED Nine.4
                      ED Nine.1
                      ED 110v.2 (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by parksgm View Post

This is true, I have a SiFR III GPS Reciever and it connects to 10/12 Sats parked in my driveway and garage, it sits under my rear parcel shelf, and i've never had a problem with it!
                        Car: BMW e46 PC: Shuttle XP2500+ / 40gig hdd / 1024Mb DDR Ram / Nvidia6600GT / 7" OEM Looking Touch Screen, GPS, WiFi, 1 Amp, 2x10" Subs

Comment

Originally posted by cunni View Post
                          This is true, I have a SiFR III GPS Reciever and it connects to 10/12 Sats parked in my driveway and garage, it sits under my rear parcel shelf, and i've never had a problem with it!
                          Thats really strange, mine is'nt as sensitive...
                          My rear windows are tinted at 95%, but can it hurt my reception on the dash?

Anyone know how i could optimize it?
                          Carputer Athlon X2 4200+
                          800tsv - Audigy 2 ZS - PowerMate - Wifi 802.11n
                          All Audio Tunning done via Software. 7 channels.
                          CDT ES-07 - HD2 - DRT25
                          ED Nine.2x
                          ED Nine.4
                          ED Nine.1
                          ED 110v.2 (x2)

Comment

Working...
                          X