GPS on Video?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS on Video?

Im not sure where this would fall, but I was wondering if anybody has made or knows where you can get a digital video application that would stamp GPS location on a video.

I offroad a lot and I thought it would be nice to start a record and store on my PC and when later reviewing the footage I could note the cordinates and add them to my GPS mapping software so I could find the location later. Sure I could just note locations as I find them, but when your climbing over rocks and trying to watch the road sometimes its often to dangerous depending where you are to play with a computer screen.

Anyways thanks for reading.

Check this thread out. It sounds like it's what you're looking for.

*Edit* Actually I don't think that is it. There was one I saw a little while ago that did exactly what you're looking for, but I can't find it. I'll have another look around.
    I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

Comment

Are you using a camcorder mounted in your vehicle to capture video? If so, you could use a bullet camera and insert your GPS data on it and record that to the camcorder. What kind of GPS info are you wanting to record?

Comment

Is this what you are looking for except having GPS data instead of bike data superimposed on video data?

http://media.putfile.com/DataAcq

Comment

Hi there,

I have a lot of experience in the GIS/Software engineering industry and I think possibly viewing this problem from the wrong angle,

Instead of using video overlay hardware, you should perhaps be recording your journey using the GPS (create a trip log - a shape file with all track points) and then relating that to the video.

Cheers,

Kiwi.

Comment

Hi,
            It is possible to put all the pertinent GPS info on the video data logger screen and at the same time write a SD card log file which could later be viewed in Google Earth. The logger could have a button that when pressed would tag the lat, long, time as "placemark" when displayed in Google Earth.

Here's a Google Earth file attachement from a GPS running at 4 samples per second. You have to change the file extension from ".txt" to ".kml" Then if you have Google Earth installed on your machine, just double click on the file and it should bring it up automatically. The vertical lines indicate the .25 second interval data rate.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NiSlo View Post
              Check this thread out. It sounds like it's what you're looking for.

*Edit* Actually I don't think that is it. There was one I saw a little while ago that did exactly what you're looking for, but I can't find it. I'll have another look around.
              Actually believe it or not, but thats the thread that got me thinking. I do want it to capture digital footage and store on my pc. I was hoping if there was an app like it or a way to work with it to either stamp the location on the video or I suppose if needed it could take a location a write to a separate file, but the times would have to correspond perfectly to make sure the location would be easily identified from the video so the GPS location could be found later.

I thought about using Webtracker one of the apps in the software section, but Im not really looking for google map support, but however it would give me a way to track lat/long every so many seconds or minutes without having to manual hit a track button.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetie View Post
                Hi,
                It is possible to put all the pertinent GPS info on the video data logger screen and at the same time write a SD card log file which could later be viewed in Google Earth. The logger could have a button that when pressed would tag the lat, long, time as "placemark" when displayed in Google Earth.

Here's a Google Earth file attachement from a GPS running at 4 samples per second. You have to change the file extension from ".txt" to ".kml" Then if you have Google Earth installed on your machine, just double click on the file and it should bring it up automatically. The vertical lines indicate the .25 second interval data rate.
                Sweetie. I'm curious to know what you used to record those GPS coordinates like that? Please tell me you used a PC. The only problem I might have is tree coverage or being in an area that Google Earth might not have over head photos of.

Comment

Kizer, I'm not using a PC to capture the GPS data, however, you could write a relatively simple program using Visual Basic to read GPS data from the PCs serial port and write a plain old text file that can be easily imported into Google Earth. If you get a sensitive GPS unit, tree coverage could be mitigated or using a dead reckoning GPS unit will work if you are not bouncing around too much in your car.

What I am building is a datalogger the overlays GPS data at 4 sample per second on video from a small bullet camera. The logger can also write this data to a 2GB SD card in a file format directly importable to Google Earth (the file attached above). It also has the capability to plot the path on the video screen. This will fit in a fanny pack along with a small camcorder (for recording the video) and the bullet camera which is velcroed to my helmet. It's my personal data acquistion unit that can be used on hikes, bike rides or at the race track. I'll try to attach the video from the logger next time.

Comment

GPS Video

Here's couple video clips of GPS overlay
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sweetie,

Thats exactly what I would like to have. I would want just the time and lat/long.

I was hoping to use a webcam and a mouse style GPS so I could save to my CarPC. In this Case JeepPC.

As well I'd really like to caputure GPS cordinates like you did with your Google Earth. I dont have a regular handheld GPS, but he PC mouse style. I've looked for apps that would capture basic lat/long so I could run it through Google Earth. Everything I run across is a fancy blown up app with tons of features, but Im trying really to keep things simple. Im sure video isn't simple, but hey I have to have a goal you know.

Comment

I haven't played around much with a PC webcam but here's what you can do about the GPS mouse. What you need to do (if it is possible with your GPS) is to configure it so it outputs only NMEA $RMC sentences. There should be some kind of program that comes with the unit that allows you to do this. Once this is done, connect to the GPS via your serial port using HyperTerm (after setting the proper baud rate, bits, etc. If working properly, you should see $RMC sentences fill up the screen. When you are ready, choose the option to capture the data to a file in HyperTerm. When you are done wiht your outing, close the file.

Google GPS Visualizer which has a utility to convert your file to a .KMZ file which is what Google Earth likes. Once converted, just double-click on the .KMZ file and you got your path displayed. Good luck!

BTW, what brand of GPS mouse are you using?

Comment

Here's a link directly to the Unit I have. I know for sure it has the SirfIII chip. That's about all I know and it seems to acquire signal fast.

http://store.mo-co-so.com/usb-sirf-i...eiver-p-4.html

Sweetie, I really am greatful for everything your trying to explaing to me.

I'm running XP on my MiniITX.

Comment

Went to the link but could not find a detailed manual on the unit, so not sure if it is configurable.

I use an oem unit (ublox) in my logger so I can change the output message types, data rates, etc on the fly. The internal microcontroller is doing all this as well as putting the data out to video and writing a Google Earth file to the SD card.

Well, time to get back to testing and trying to stuff this whole thing in small box to fit in my fanny pack. Will post some better videos later if time allows.
                            Good luck on your project.

Comment

Working...
                            X