Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what routing software for Europe

Hi ,
    what is a good cheap soft working with USB GPS for Europe ?
    I need voiceoutput and a visual direction indicator and a "point on a card (to show where i am )
    I saw that there are different standards like NMEA and another one. I would prefer nmea because gps receivers are cheaper

So is there a software matching my needs ?

Thanks

Felix
    =>> Carpc Version2 -- Epia M 10K based<<=
    ::Epia M10k,7"VGA/40GB2.5",GPS,Opus90W ::
    ::trying to build second low cost carpc::
    ::Automp3.de :: CAR= Renault Clio2 - 2 seats 1.9D

european navigation software

Hi

On http://www.schorr-aviation-multimedi...-software.html you can find about all software i know about that has voice-output..

if you find any other software than this that has cards for switzerland and surrounding countries, let me know!

i think travelbook makes a real good impression.. but i did not buy any of this software yet..

pascal
    current
    2001 Chevy Tahoe
    Carputer MK 3
    - Mobo out of Shuttle Barebone System
    - AMD Duron 1300
    - 7" Lilliput
    - Opus Powersupply
    - MediaCar
    earlyer installs
    1996 Ford Explorer Carputer MK 2
    1997 Subaru Impreza GT Carputer MK 1

Comment

Hi

Do you know if this software covers the UK and if so is their an English translation?

Kindest Regards

Jon
      Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

Comment

don't know but probably map and guide covers uk with their europe city map ?

Comment

Originally posted by slarty
          Hi

Do you know if this software covers the UK and if so is their an English translation?

Kindest Regards

Jon

GPSS covers the UK, . and has maps for other places
          4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Yes thank you for this.. I tried GPSS I should have mentioned it. I found it way to user intensive to be of any use on the road and also to get the maps working I needed to scour the web for maps that were pretty out of date so I ditched it. I am currently using AutoRoute 2002 or Map Point both much the same.

Are there any others you have tried?

Jon
            Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by slarty
              Yes thank you for this.. I tried GPSS I should have mentioned it. I found it way to user intensive to be of any use on the road and also to get the maps working I needed to scour the web for maps that were pretty out of date so I ditched it. I am currently using AutoRoute 2002 or Map Point both much the same.

Are there any others you have tried?

Jon
              Not yet, I've just ordered a Delou GPS mouse, that I'm going to use with my laptop, till I get my car setup running.

It will be nice to know where I am when I lounging on the couch.

I've installed GPSS, but I haven't tried it with any GPS hardware yet. Thats next.

There are other maps on the site if you dig arround for them, but I have no idea how upto date they are.
              4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

If its anything like my Haicom HE 201E then it may use a serial bridge and give a vertual comm port in which case this can change if you change the usb portthe USN GPS is situated. It changed for me when I added other usb comm devices also. GPSS has a config file in it which requires the comm port to be specified. When it get the same port as the USB GPS it fires up no problem.. Oh yes Register or you may end up with a complex that leads you to trying to shoot any Snoopy you see!

I would like to use CoPilot in the UK this is such a good program from what I can see but I do not know if it has support for UK maps?

I am talking to http://www.travroute.com/ on this but have no info ATM

Any information you get would be much appreciated

Kindest Regards

Jon

Comment

Yeah, I've seen the annoying little snoopy. Lol.

Played the demo of GPSS until I was completly sick of it.
                  4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Yup I wish we could get CoPilot or the likes of! even a hack (Dare I say it) that would read the info disks for the common car GPS systems available in the uk!

We seem to be sadly behind the times in the uk with PC based GPS software for mobile PC's!

I have found other sources but I have not looked at them for a few months.. I'll check again .. but they were of the same or lesser quality than GPSS. The issue is that wedo not have a large enough software house that is involved.

just my tuppence wrth

Cheers

Jon

Comment

Hi , I yesterday installed teh Software MAp & guide on my hoem pc to test - the wanted to install in on laptop - damn 1.5 GB :-( hdd not big enough- so i tried GPSS - I find this softvery interesting because there are even cards for easttern europe , north africa etc- I didn't understand all on zhe page but think i'll use it as second gps solution

Felix

Comment

When my GPS mouse arrives, I'm going to try GPSS first because it is free.

Biggest problem is that the maps are Bitmap, rather than in vector form, so they won't scale very well.

You are right, the website is very messy. They could do with a serious rebuild to improve their image and make it easier to navigate. And yes the links to lots of maps is extemely useful whileyou get used to using GPS.
                        4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

they should build a navi system for their website
                          I currently gave up because i don't get the control+d windows - seems to work only with gps connected and receiving data.

will retry it later know its installing time for my normal routing soft in my car and if it works doing a little testdrive . then i could give you more info about the software map and guide i bought .

felix

Comment

Well I'm looking forward to my Delou GPS mouse arriving.

I ordered Monday, USPS listed it as arriving at the Depot Monday, and leaving the Depot in Miami, and US shores Tuesday.

I paid extra for the US Gold, rather than standard Express, so I should have it in far less than the 8 days Express time.
                            4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Originally posted by felix99
                              they should build a navi system for their website
                              I currently gave up because i don't get the control+d windows - seems to work only with gps connected and receiving data.

will retry it later know its installing time for my normal routing soft in my car and if it works doing a little testdrive . then i could give you more info about the software map and guide i bought .

felix
                              Ok, Yesterday I tried my Laptop in the car with Deluo USB GPS, and GPSS.

Don't have any localmaps detailed enough to set a local destination, but did try the dashboard (speedo/Heading/Slope/Altimeter) setting to see if my Speedo was accurate.

What I need now is to find some decent maps. I've been told that Autoroute can work with GPSS using the ARED driver, or Mappoint has more detailed maps, and better coverage.
                              4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Working...
                              X