Where to place gps puck?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to place gps puck?

I've been looking at various installs and wondered if there are guidelines to follow for puck placement. I experimented in my car (1997 Nissan Maxima) and found the worse reception when the puck's on the passenger floor. The best was when the puck was hanging from the passenger visor against the windshield in the tinted part of glass. I tried on the dashboard and it was just ok.

What concerned me is that my puck is the Microsoft, w/the MS logo, plus it glows blue, which's annoying @ night. If I place it behind the center console, will all the metals etc disrupt the gps? Can I put the GPS in the A-pillar, or headliner?

Jae

Originally posted by ThurzNite View Post
    I've been looking at various installs and wondered if there are guidelines to follow for puck placement. I experimented in my car (1997 Nissan Maxima) and found the worse reception when the puck's on the passenger floor. The best was when the puck was hanging from the passenger visor against the windshield in the tinted part of glass. I tried on the dashboard and it was just ok.

What concerned me is that my puck is the Microsoft, w/the MS logo, plus it glows blue, which's annoying @ night. If I place it behind the center console, will all the metals etc disrupt the gps? Can I put the GPS in the A-pillar, or headliner?

Jae
    Is it the pharos-360 or 500-something? If it came with S&T 2006, then it is the pharos 360. If it is S&T 2007, then it is the newer one.

The reason I ask because the older one is sirfII and not sirfII. If you have metallic tint, then you need to place it on the non-tinted area like the front windshield. My old one got a lock faster than anything else I have tried, but it had to go with a view of the sky. In my dash, it didnt work so well.

The new ones should work anywhere really.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Mine is currently sitting on my dash and works fabulously.
      It will be buried in the dash when all is said & done.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I have had mine sitting on the dash for a while. However, recently, I decided that the blinking blue light (I have a bluetooth dell gps receiver) was annoying. So I simply threw it in the glove box. Works like a charm in there. It will eventually get mounted under the dash when I install my new sound system but for now, I am having no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
          Is it the pharos-360 or 500-something? If it came with S&T 2006, then it is the pharos 360. If it is S&T 2007, then it is the newer one.

The reason I ask because the older one is sirfII and not sirfII. If you have metallic tint, then you need to place it on the non-tinted area like the front windshield. My old one got a lock faster than anything else I have tried, but it had to go with a view of the sky. In my dash, it didnt work so well.

The new ones should work anywhere really.
          I have the 360... and I have metallic film on my windshield. Dang. Time to get the 500. Where can I get a sirfIII for good price? Is the BU-353 the most affordable one?

edit: nevermind, just got one on ebay for $50 shipped.

Jae

Comment

Mine is in the trunk, under the opaque deck behind the back seats (where the rear speakers are mounted). Works perfectly there and is 100% out of sight.

Comment

I have the pharos gps and I stuffed it inside a stuffed ducky to conceal it from potential thieves. I then drilled a suction cup to the back of the duck's head and stuck it to the rear windshield. Looks very inconspicuous...but if you look closely, you can see a wire coming out from the duck's behind.

Comment

I buried mine inside the dashboard and totally invisible from the outside. Signal sucked until I put a 5"x5" aluminum sheet under the device. It boosted sat lock from 3 to ~9.
                BU353 btw.

Comment

Originally posted by nobb View Post
                  I have the pharos gps and I stuffed it inside a stuffed ducky to conceal it from potential thieves. I then drilled a suction cup to the back of the duck's head and stuck it to the rear windshield. Looks very inconspicuous...but if you look closely, you can see a wire coming out from the duck's behind.
                  I have one of these on my back window... maybe I can stuff it in him.

Jae

Comment

Originally posted by mrWRX View Post
                    I buried mine inside the dashboard and totally invisible from the outside. Signal sucked until I put a 5"x5" aluminum sheet under the device. It boosted sat lock from 3 to ~9.
                    BU353 btw.
                    How does the aluminum work? Is it like those colander wifi dishes?

Jae

Comment

I put my BU-353 under the dash clock (the inlet in the middle of the dash above the HVAC vents) and I always have 9 sats or more.

I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

Comment

My Rikaline 6010 is under the scuttle panel between the bonnet and windscreen.
                        Old Systems retired due to new car
                        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Originally posted by ThurzNite View Post
                          How does the aluminum work? Is it like those colander wifi dishes?

Jae
                          I have the same car as NiSlo and installed at the same location right below the clock pod in the center dash. It's a solid aluminum plate of size 5" by 5" and about 1/16" thick. I heard any metal will work, even aluminum foil.

Comment

Working...
                          X