Troubles in Los Angeles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubles in Los Angeles

Does anyone live in the LA area? Driving from Mississippi, I was able to get the Earthmate GPS 3D Fixed within like 30 seconds. Now, it takes a LONG time, if it even works at all. I'm using StreetAtlas 8. All of the settings seem to be correct in initialization. Hmmmm, maybe interference from this big ole city.

ANyone know?? Thanks,

Clayton

Make sure that you time and Timzone are correct. That is how it determines what satellities to look for.
    JohnRam

Comment

correct power?

Make sure the GPS unit is getting enough power fed to it.

Comment

In the settings for the gps there is a place for your current location, usually you select a state or enter approximate coordinates. Once this is entered it shouldn't have much difficulty getting a fix.
        aka Kumaneko
        "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
        Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
        mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
        Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Hmmm..all settings are correct. I drove an hour south, to San Clemente yesterday, and the GPS popper up within 1 minute. Oh well, doesn't look like it wants to work in the big city....

Comment

Holy crap! I thought it was just me. I live and work in and around the Los Angeles metro area. I've been using GPS applications for about 8 years now. When I was in the US Army, I played with all the high speed stuff like the fully encrypted gps systems that could tell you which hand you were holding the antenna in.

I recently bought my father and I an Earthmate GPS and the latest Street Atlas 2003. It's really cool, but they both take for freaking ever here in LA to initialize (at least 10 minutes). And once they are initialized, they can barely hold on to the satellites that they are tracking. I recently took a trip to San Francisco, and had absolutely no problems. Even downtown with all the buildings and whatnot causing reflections and blockages it was still rock solid.

I'm going to pull out my Trimble ScoutMaster this week and experiment a little. If I can remember to, I'll post my results.
            [------------------|--] 90% Completed
            Not installed, yet.
            Developing Completely DirectX shell.
            P4 1.7GHz, 256MB RAM, 40GB-7200RPM HD

Comment

Originally posted by cng1
              Hmmm..all settings are correct. I drove an hour south, to San Clemente yesterday, and the GPS popper up within 1 minute. Oh well, doesn't look like it wants to work in the big city....
              Big City = Big Buildings and Big Interference
              aka Kumaneko
              "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
              Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
              mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
              Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Not necissarily. I don't exacly live in downtown. I can sit in an open field and the damn thing will still take forever. So it's not local interference.
                Not installed, yet.

Comment

maybe it's all the smog

sorry for the northern california crack at the southern california air quality
                  Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
                  Mods: Yep
                  Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Originally posted by 00CericaRuss
                    maybe it's all the smog

sorry for the northern california crack at the southern california air quality
                    Bwa Ha Ha Ha he *hack* *cough* *cough* *wheeze* ha ha.

Sad but true
                    Not installed, yet.

Comment

haha.. looks like i spoke too soon.. i'm going down to pasadena next week for a couple days.. can't wait to breathe!
                      Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

The weather has been quite pleasant down here lately. Hope it keeps up through your trip.

BTW... Back on subject I've tested things out with my handheld (Trimble ScoutMaster), and it works fine. I think it's just the Earthmates. Oh well.
                        Not installed, yet.

Comment

I noticed when i had an earthmate/delorme setup, it would take forever to get signal...
                          I guess I'll test out next week how copilot works down there.

Comment

Working...
                          X