Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS Logger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GPS Logger

    I dont know if anyone wants this but I going to post it for everyone to have if they want. It is a program I created to log you gps location and email it to you. I have it run all the time just in case my car gets stolen. I am also posting the sorce code, it is in vb .net for those of you who want it. I have created a read me file to explain how is works and how to set it up. If anyone has any idea on impovement to better suite your needs let me know. I will gladly add or change things for you.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Nice!
    Laidback


    The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

    Comment


    • #3
      Great idea alienmanfc6, well done

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by alienmanfc6 View Post
        I dont know if anyone wants this but I going to post it for everyone to have if they want. It is a program I created to log you gps location and email it to you. I have it run all the time just in case my car gets stolen. I am also posting the sorce code, it is in vb .net for those of you who want it. I have created a read me file to explain how is works and how to set it up. If anyone has any idea on impovement to better suite your needs let me know. I will gladly add or change things for you.

        Hey alien, thanks for this! I've been looking for something like this...but a little different. Maybe we can work together and refine to work better.

        My goal was to be able to have an application run in the background which will:
        -automatically log current location from gps (like what you're doing) along with speed and timestamp, at user specified intervals.
        -Look for a internet connection available.
        -if connection exists, connect to it and upload the log file to a server and store the data in a database.
        -else continue to log gps data and try connection again at the next user defined interval.


        Can you add this functionality? And i can do the web base stuff to pull the data from the database and plot it on google maps. People can install this web app and database on their own server and view their own tracking...what do you think? I dont know VB...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by [H]Bugster View Post
          Hey alien, thanks for this! I've been looking for something like this...but a little different. Maybe we can work together and refine to work better.

          My goal was to be able to have an application run in the background which will:
          -automatically log current location from gps (like what you're doing) along with speed and timestamp, at user specified intervals.
          -Look for a internet connection available.
          -if connection exists, connect to it and upload the log file to a server and store the data in a database.
          -else continue to log gps data and try connection again at the next user defined interval.


          Can you add this functionality? And i can do the web base stuff to pull the data from the database and plot it on google maps. People can install this web app and database on their own server and view their own tracking...what do you think? I dont know VB...
          I would like to be able to upload to a server insead of email becuase the email is a little messy but it works. Currently I am unsure of how to do this but i have not looked into it much. I did experiment with FTP but had lots of problems with that. As for adding speed and timestamp, well it already does the timestamp and adding speed would be easy. I could also add your bearing. The reason I did not was to keep the log file small so it would be quicker to email. But if you would like I could add that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by alienmanfc6 View Post
            I dont know if anyone wants this but I going to post it for everyone to have if they want. It is a program I created to log you gps location and email it to you. I have it run all the time just in case my car gets stolen. I am also posting the sorce code, it is in vb .net for those of you who want it. I have created a read me file to explain how is works and how to set it up. If anyone has any idea on impovement to better suite your needs let me know. I will gladly add or change things for you.
            Nice job, thanks for sharing!

            Originally posted by [H]Bugster View Post
            Hey alien, thanks for this! I've been looking for something like this...but a little different. Maybe we can work together and refine to work better.

            My goal was to be able to have an application run in the background which will:
            -automatically log current location from gps (like what you're doing) along with speed and timestamp, at user specified intervals.
            -Look for a internet connection available.
            -if connection exists, connect to it and upload the log file to a server and store the data in a database.
            -else continue to log gps data and try connection again at the next user defined interval.


            Can you add this functionality? And i can do the web base stuff to pull the data from the database and plot it on google maps. People can install this web app and database on their own server and view their own tracking...what do you think? I dont know VB...
            been done before;
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gps/...-internet.html
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks. I've started coding yesterday and hopfully will have a desktop client to handle the logging soon. I will then create a web app to make use of the data from the database. I'll try and keep this post updated....or maybe i'll start my own thread.

              I wanted to create my own solution so i can host it independantly on my own servers, and manage myself. The idea is to minimize the relianze from other services.

              Comment


              • #8
                6+ years between the first and second posts?

                Not really a dead horse, just an old one.

                Edit: Hmmm, he didn't join til 2007, so wtf is up with the post date?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm in the process of doing something similar with a web client.

                  The intention is to add GPS logging to FreeDrive and AccessControl.

                  I will also be making the website part available so that someone can add it to their own server rather than rely on someone else.

                  I have a alpha demo of the website side here :

                  http://www.en4cer.co.uk/tracking.php
                  www.en4cer.co.uk/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by murmur View Post
                    6+ years between the first and second posts?

                    Not really a dead horse, just an old one.

                    Edit: Hmmm, he didn't join til 2007, so wtf is up with the post date?
                    The servers crashed, dates got mixed up and/or lost, don't worry about it, you were asleep through the whole thing!
                    Laidback


                    The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                      I'm in the process of doing something similar with a web client.

                      The intention is to add GPS logging to FreeDrive and AccessControl.

                      I will also be making the website part available so that someone can add it to their own server rather than rely on someone else.

                      I have a alpha demo of the website side here :

                      http://www.en4cer.co.uk/tracking.php
                      www.en4cer.co.uk/
                      Hey that looks good Enforcer!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Update: I have added a few new features. Nothing major just now it also logs speed and bearing. Also added a setup program to add ease of setup. So instead of haveing to change all the values in the .ini file manualy. You can just run the setup program and fill out the form and it does it for you.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          awsome, i'm also working on a different app as well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Do you think, it's possible to make this app to log the whole thing to a textfile instead of a mail?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by seng View Post
                              Do you think, it's possible to make this app to log the whole thing to a textfile instead of a mail?
                              This is what I'm doing. I'll also be writing a webapp to interface with the app so you can have a map display your routes.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X