ALK CoPilot Laptop 11

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALK CoPilot Laptop 11

ALK released new version 11. I haven't seen anyone discussing it at this forum, but in the past I read user comments about previous versions, so I know there are some people using it around here ! Few days ago I received a review copy from ALK, and since then I've spent some time familiarizing myself with it. I noticed map data improvement, and the user interface has changed noticeably, too. I think it is better for a new user now.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar4tP5sUBAI[/media]

I attempted to do a short video clip to show the fast refresh rate of the screen. People used to 1Hz will like the new smooth map movement. (Sorry, this is my first attempt to create a video clip, and there is no sound.)

I agree they have made changes that greatly improve there product I use there laptop 11 truck. But what I noticed is the same problem there map data is still miles behind navteq and tele atlas they need to use one of those to for there map data because theres stinks.

Comment

For their European and Australian versions they actually do use Navteq. It's just only us here in North America who are stuck with ALK's own data. I wonder if one of the reasons for ALK not using Navteq is that ALK's own data is (still) super to Navteq in the area of large vehicle routing.

Comment

I've used copilot laptop 7 and currently using 10. My biggest complaints are the following:

interface doesn't scale well for small screens. At 800x600, I've had POI box pop-up beyond the edge of the screen.

I cannot pick a destination based on a point on the map. Other GPS units call this "Navigate Here". Strangely, one of the navigation option is to enter LAT/LONG coordinates.

copilot has never integrated well with any front end. It prefers to run full screen, and given my first complaint, I think thats best. The program does allow you to show the taskbar, so I've use that as a way to somewhat intergrate it with my frontend.

If you find 1 & 2 is no lnger an issue, let me know and I'll consider upgrading to 11.

Comment

Might definately have to purchase 11.

Comment

Just got a 5Hz GPS bluetooth receiver and it works great in CoPilot Laptop 10. No more jerky once a second static movement. Now I get a nice fluid flow similar to a lot of OEM navigations. Probably won't fork out the $100+ dollar for version 11 just yet.

Comment

I m currently running copilot laptop 8, which worked great for 3 years...with the rikaline 6010 gps...which by the way stopped working last week...I orderd a holux 213u as a replacement and while i wait for that , I m debading if I should go with version 11 or not...I d like to stay with either 9 or 10...because I like that interface better...only issues is the maps are a bit out of date, which is no big deal since i have of my location saved...

Can anyone confirm that traffic updates via internet connection work on version 9 or 10, and what the major differences are between the 2...

As far as version 11 goes, does anyone here who use 8, 9 or 10 have any complaints?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Si_g View Post
                I m currently running copilot laptop 8, which worked great for 3 years...with the rikaline 6010 gps...which by the way stopped working last week...I orderd a holux 213u as a replacement and while i wait for that , I m debading if I should go with version 11 or not...I d like to stay with either 9 or 10...because I like that interface better...only issues is the maps are a bit out of date, which is no big deal since i have of my location saved...

Can anyone confirm that traffic updates via internet connection work on version 9 or 10, and what the major differences are between the 2...

As far as version 11 goes, does anyone here who use 8, 9 or 10 have any complaints?

Thanks.
                I only have Laptop verson 10 and yes, the traffic updates do work.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac View Post
                  ALK released new version 11. I haven't seen anyone discussing it at this forum, but in the past I read user comments about previous versions, so I know there are some people using it around here ! Few days ago I received a review copy from ALK, and since then I've spent some time familiarizing myself with it. I noticed map data improvement, and the user interface has changed noticeably, too. I think it is better for a new user now.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar4tP5sUBAI[/media]

I attempted to do a short video clip to show the fast refresh rate of the screen. People used to 1Hz will like the new smooth map movement. (Sorry, this is my first attempt to create a video clip, and there is no sound.)
                  I think it is a good product.

Comment

Originally posted by CombatCQB View Post
                    I've used copilot laptop 7 and currently using 10. My biggest complaints are the following:

I cannot pick a destination based on a point on the map. Other GPS units call this "Navigate Here". Strangely, one of the navigation option is to enter LAT/LONG coordinates.
                    You can add a destination by choosing a point on the map. I first turn off the "center on location" to browse the map. Right click on the point and a menu comes up that has the "pick stop" choice.
                    '99 F-350 Crew 7.3L~'02 F-350 Crew 7.3L~ '04 Dakota SLT+ 4.7L
                    MII12000opus120~MII12000opus120~MII10000opus150
                    NA~Senao dual 7.4 ant~Orinoco Gold
                    Pioneer~Pioneer~PG Octane-R R5.1MT
                    Xenarc, Rikaline6010, Garmin OEM16 HVS, CoPilot10

Comment

Working...
                    X