Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Garmin Mobile PC GPS 20x USB receiver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HELP! Garmin Mobile PC GPS 20x USB receiver

    I need help here.
    I have just received my Garmin Mobile PC with the USB receiver.
    It keeps on saying "searching for satellites" for several minutes.
    First I was in a house, then I thought I should go outside. Went out for 5 min, still nothing. Then, I decided to drive around town for 15 min, still nothing.
    Last resort, I go to a OPEN area, where I can see the sky no matter where I turn. Yes, the sky is CLEAR with no clouds whatsoever. Still no signal. Then finally, it showed 1 stick of signal then it goes away.
    The GPS unit is a 20x, and I believe it should be very sensitive.
    Am I the only one that's having the problem? Should I call this a defective unit?
    I've tried everything, unplugging, changing usb ports, rebooting, etc. NOTHING works!!!
    Thanks

  • #2
    Check your COM port settings, namely baud rate.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

    Comment


    • #3
      Can you shed more light on that?
      I thought it is connected via USB. How do I get to the COM settings and what should I set it to?
      Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      Check your COM port settings, namely baud rate.

      Comment


      • #4
        it will make an emulated com port

        Comment


        • #5
          USB is a serial port.
          There will be a USB-to-serial converter installed to read informtation from the gPS receiver.
          Look in the device manager.

          Make certain the COM port for the GPS receiver is set to 9600,N,8,1 in Device manager and in your application. (Note: If the manual for the receiver says something different, set the COM port to those settings.)
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?



          Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

          Comment


          • #6
            The only item I see in Device Manager is "Garmin USB GPS".
            I could not find anything about COM port.
            The user's manual did not say anything about it either. Worst of all, it didn't even have a troubleshoot section!
            Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            USB is a serial port.
            There will be a USB-to-serial converter installed to read informtation from the gPS receiver.
            Look in the device manager.

            Make certain the COM port for the GPS receiver is set to 9600,N,8,1 in Device manager and in your application. (Note: If the manual for the receiver says something different, set the COM port to those settings.)

            Comment


            • #7
              drop these guys a question on their forum.
              http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/pc-gps...s-reviews.html

              or email garmin

              Comment


              • #8
                I contacted Garmin tech support earlier today.
                They tell me to install an update, which I did and still nothing.
                There is no such "COM port" setting that needs to be done according to Garmin.
                They conclude that it is a defective unit. I have ordered a new one and returning this one. I will report back once I get the new toy.
                Originally posted by Woofnstuff View Post
                drop these guys a question on their forum.
                http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/pc-gps...s-reviews.html

                or email garmin

                Comment


                • #9
                  I had this exact problem with my system. I ended up putting the Garmin GPS on a powered USB hub, which fixed the problem. I also had some limited success switch USB ports.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am getting the new unit today, so I will report back my findings.
                    I thought the USB port should have sufficient power for that tiny GPS. I don't have a Powered USB hub.
                    Originally posted by White Night View Post
                    I had this exact problem with my system. I ended up putting the Garmin GPS on a powered USB hub, which fixed the problem. I also had some limited success switch USB ports.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I received a NEW unit today, and still NO SIGNAL!!!
                      What is the problem here?
                      I've tried it on HP tx1000 and Asus EEEPC, both no luck.
                      I've also updated the software to 5.00.10, which is the latest one.
                      I installed the software on my desktop and it won't even load.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X