GPS Software, Europe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Software, Europe

Does anyone know of a good GPS software for Europe?

that kinda looks like, or at least have a nice interface, like the Copilot ...

All the mapping software's iwe been trying for europe.. kinda... suck? ..

Any suggestions?
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
    Albert Einstein

Hi ,
    what soft did you try ?
    There isd MAp and Guide's Travelbook (excellent)( but voice output is only in german ) and there's also Route66 ( cheap and ~good]

Felix
    =>> Carpc Version2 -- Epia M 10K based<<=
    ::Epia M10k,7"VGA/40GB2.5",GPS,Opus90W ::
    ::trying to build second low cost carpc::
    ::Automp3.de :: CAR= Renault Clio2 - 2 seats 1.9D

Comment

there is MapPoint 2002 for Europe, same tech as is used for US/Canada. You might want to try that, it has GPS support but no audio

Does anyone know of any good GPS map software for Canada that can read out directions?
      IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

The only software that ive heard of thats got good maps for canada is M$ streets and trips, but i dont know if it speaks directions or not.
        Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
        Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
        '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

Comment

Thanks for all the reply

Felix, iwe been trying out Route66 .. didnt like it that much... was ok, but not GREAT.. Iwe also tried the M$ AutoRoute... touht it look kinda like Route66

anyway... The thing i wanted in a good software is, clean and nice GUI..

Ill have a look at the other proggy's u other ppl talked about, never heard of it

The GPS software I most likely will be using in my car is OziExplorer (http://www.oziexplorer.com) cuz here I can add the map for my self... (isnt any good when it comes to planning trips) Ill show you a detailed map of the lovely city of Stavanger, NORWAY

again, thank for replies! keep em comming

Richard
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

OZI looks good - but where to get maps for it ??

Ok after searching a bit i seem understanding - Is it right that I can for example scan my normal pinted paper route card and fix some GPS points and make a card for ozi ?
            That would be so cool - because there are no maps ( no detailed ones) for a region i'm trveling much .

Any tutorials for ozi? (to make maps )

Thnx

Felix

Comment

Felix:

It's pretty easy really... my region is also in lack of good maps (at least digital ones) I didnt want to take the hassel to scan the maps *urk*

all i did was find the maps on the net. (only Norway, sorry Felix)

now, back to Ozi tutorials? .. ehm.. sure.. but.. why? its so simple anyway the basic, insert a graphical picture (map) and set up 2 points (Longtitude, Latitude) to use as cordinates. Ozi explorer will then automaticly "calibrate" the Map to be used along with an GPS reciever. Quite sweet if you ask me the only bummer would be the lack of "street searching" and to plot a route. (This can be done in Ozi) But its to big a fuzz that I'll ever sit down and make waypoints

So, the only usable GPS softwares for Europe would be the ones you guys have been talking about in this thread? or? ... anyone with a big nice secret?

Regards
              Richard
              NORWAY

ps: probably alot of typos
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Felix:

My setup is like, 70% done or something .. ill post some pics when Im done

I touht maybe you would appreiciate it, we Renault owners got to keep to gether

Richard
                NORWAY
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes !! what type of renault do you have ?

ok for the maps - I will only use it in france - but i think for some destinations i 'll make waypoints.
                  (I hope michelin cards are good enought to get a good mapping )

what did you search to find your norrway maps ??

the only maps i found for france and germany wqhere simple jpe's or gif's in crappy quality

Tnx

Felix

P.S: ozi3d looks coooooool

Comment

This is kinda off topic

I have a Renault excact like this one.

Its an Renault19 93' Phase2 1.8I

Iwe ordered the indash motorized 7" from digitalww and the opus DC/DC psu

My whole setup will be like this
                    Carputer:
                    7" indash Motorized
                    Opus DC/DC PSU
                    Shuttle SV25 (with Gforce4 Mx420/Tv-out PCI)
                    A multi purpose keyboard (smal laptop keyboard with ballmouse integrated)
                    hauppauge tv reciever (usb)
                    GPS reciever Serial
                    Dlink WLAN (usb)

Audio:
                    Rockford Speakers:
                    2x 4" coaxial (dash)
                    2x 6,5" Mid Tone (front door)
                    2x 4" coaxial (rear)
                    and
                    2x 10" Subs
                    1x Rockford 2-channels AMP
                    1x Rockford 4-channels AMP
                    A crappy Panasonic CD/Radio player (good enough for now)

Regards,
                    Richard
                    NORWAY

PS: YEAH ozi3d kicks *** ) and would probably take like, a lifetime to set up a large map .. like the one i will be using

My setup will be finished around new year.... will post some pics then

PPSS: Felix, u got PM
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Check out Mappy.fr or mappy.com or mappy.{country code}

I wrote a program to download maps and paste them together before they switched to their flash interface... however when you go to print it still shows you a jpeg, so you can use that instead... just scan around the area that you're interested in (make sure to use the large viewing area maps) and you can paste together a good quality map pretty easily.

or you can check out mapquest.com they might have stuff too.
                      IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

i drive a renault!

im uk too.

renault megane 1.6RT
                        with via epia board, cubid case, divx/mp3 etc, 5.6" screen, with kenwood KDC8090R and boschman 300watt amp, infinity referance 6*9s. its a half assed sound system basically.

waitin to sell my car, i got a 12" touchscreen to go in it, so imma custom dashboard, and decent amps/speakers in the next car

im thinkin either vectra, toledo, golf, leon, or anythin that catches my eye talkin GTI/GSI this time too need somethin a bit quiker..

anyway i would be interested in some uk gps software.

-mutilator

Comment

InfoMap Navigator

http://www.directions.ltd.uk/index.php

Works well!
                          Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

Comment

Thx ill take a look at it
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

My Haicom 202E does not seem to be as effective as when I first bough it. Don't know why? It could be the mess that XP has got into but it definately takes longer to lock onto satelites!

I think that this is my system though.. I feel a rebuild comming on!
                              Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

Comment

Working...
                              X