New Delorme?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Delorme?

Anyone have any opinion on the new Delorme unit due out in april? Looks like a huge step in accuracy...

http://www.delorme.com/earthmate/default.asp
    1999 voyager pontoon boat
    (soon to be computerized)

I preordered one the other day. Said shipping late march so hopefully that means it will ship out this week. Seems to be a pretty good deal, but we will find out when I actually get it.
    Project K4RPU73R
    ----------------------
    Via Epia-M 9000
    256MB PC2100
    40GB IBM Travelstar
    7" Xenarc
    DeLorme Earthmate GPS

Comment

Not sure I like the idea of a 12V power source...

-Mario

Comment

the USB one is powered by the USB port........
        Project K4RPU73R
        ----------------------
        Via Epia-M 9000
        256MB PC2100
        40GB IBM Travelstar
        7" Xenarc
        DeLorme Earthmate GPS

Comment

Originally posted by Lytheum
          the USB one is powered by the USB port........
          That's what one would think, but I thought I saw lighter for USB and a possible ps2 power source.

Maybe I misread, sorry...

-Mario

Comment

the serial port one requires a seperate power connector since it can't supply power.
            Project K4RPU73R
            ----------------------
            Via Epia-M 9000
            256MB PC2100
            40GB IBM Travelstar
            7" Xenarc
            DeLorme Earthmate GPS

Comment

2-5 meter accuracy looks pretty good.

The Trip Nav TN-200 looks like almost the same device as the Earthmate, but in a different case. The specs are nearly identical in many aspects, but the accuracy rating of the TN-200 appears to be 10-15 meters.

Compared to the other GPS receiver I was considering ( Royaltek ), which has a 5-25 meter accuracy, this 2-5 meter rating looks incredible!!

Makes me wonder why the only place Delorme seems to publish this 2-5 meter spec is on the "What's New" page. I would think this would be boldly placed on the general information page.
              Car: 2003 Nissan 350Z
              Installed: Epia M9000, Casetronics 2699R Case, Crucial 256mb DDR, Maxtor 60gb 3.5" HD, Toshiba Slim DVD, Pioneer 3.5" Slot DVD, Gyration RF Keyboard/Mouse, Deluo GPS Receiver, Windows XP Pro, D-Link 2.4ghz usb wireless adaptor.
              Pending: 6.4" LG Phillips VGA Touchscreen, some type of alternate/additional power supply, Audio Connection

Comment

Originally posted by Lytheum
                I preordered one the other day. Said shipping late march so hopefully that means it will ship out this week. Seems to be a pretty good deal, but we will find out when I actually get it.
                You'll have to let us know how it works, this seems like the best price for performance all in one kit that ive seen.
                -Nick

Comment

They changed the ship date from late march to early april now....Hopefully they will be shipping soon. My screen is dead, so it might be a while before I can test it out on the road.
                  Project K4RPU73R
                  ----------------------
                  Via Epia-M 9000
                  256MB PC2100
                  40GB IBM Travelstar
                  7" Xenarc
                  DeLorme Earthmate GPS

Comment

Well its here and works. Takes a little long to lock satellites(2 min) but that is with it just stuck in the window of my house. I am waiting for my screen to come back and I will let you guys know how well it works.
                    Project K4RPU73R
                    ----------------------
                    Via Epia-M 9000
                    256MB PC2100
                    40GB IBM Travelstar
                    7" Xenarc
                    DeLorme Earthmate GPS

Comment

I like some features about theEarthmate. Bluetooth upgradable with a power pack. But, I dont like the yellow color. The Rayming TN-200 is black, and has a magnetic mount, also look a bit more streamlines, and is waterproof, so Im hoping I can just place it ontop of the car.

About the accuray. I searched for that 2-5 you mentioned, maybe it is only in the Whats New section, but this is from an email they sent out to existing customers

"Typical GPS positional accuracy averages 15 meters.

WAAS-corrected GPS signals can provide accuracy of
                      less than 3 meters 95% of the time!"

The Rayming is also WAAS. So, if typical is 15 meters, it sounds like the Rayming and Earthmate are going to perform the same with WAAS.

Mark

Originally posted by Scafremon
                      2-5 meter accuracy looks pretty good.

The Trip Nav TN-200 looks like almost the same device as the Earthmate, but in a different case. The specs are nearly identical in many aspects, but the accuracy rating of the TN-200 appears to be 10-15 meters.

Compared to the other GPS receiver I was considering ( Royaltek ), which has a 5-25 meter accuracy, this 2-5 meter rating looks incredible!!

Makes me wonder why the only place Delorme seems to publish this 2-5 meter spec is on the "What's New" page. I would think this would be boldly placed on the general information page.

Comment

a can of black spray paint would fix the color

I would be afraid something would happen to it if it was outside my car also......and the earthmate is $15 cheaper
                        Project K4RPU73R
                        ----------------------
                        Via Epia-M 9000
                        256MB PC2100
                        40GB IBM Travelstar
                        7" Xenarc
                        DeLorme Earthmate GPS

Comment

I paid $99 for the Rayming. Thats what Ive seen the Earthmate for as well.

Comment

::shrug:: said msrp was $115.....Same price as delorme one then

let us know how it works when ya get it
                            Project K4RPU73R
                            ----------------------
                            Via Epia-M 9000
                            256MB PC2100
                            40GB IBM Travelstar
                            7" Xenarc
                            DeLorme Earthmate GPS

Comment

hmm this look interesting...not to found of the bright yellow sticking out in my front window with the words GPS on it but for the price i may lookin to painting it and go this route instead of getting a RAND MCNALLY off ebay seeing how they are going for close to the same price...i'd like to hear more of well uu guys are liking it....will it work with streets and trips 2k3?

Comment

Working...
                              X