No announcement yet.

absolute best hardware (external antenna)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• absolute best hardware (external antenna)

I would like to know if anyone has done much research into what some of the best GPS hardware is... everything seems to just be different manufactures using the SiRFstarIII chipset, so does it really matter? is there a more high-end commercial option available?

i don't care if it's all-in-one USB unit, or a USB or PCMCIA base with external antenna, but it needs to be weatherproof (i am mounting on roof for best reception).

also, what's the deal with active antenna's? in what situations do they make a difference?

i was looking at this, but it doesn't seem expensive enough to be high quality, and it's just the standard SiRFstarIII again...

thanks for the help!

Hi theksmith,

There is nothing wrong with that one, (only that you may be able to purchase it even for better price elsewhere).

The reason these units are inexpensive is that they don't have any LCD screen, etc. They are just a receiver/antenna combo.

Here's a picture and feedback from a user who used the above unit on his RV: RV mounting of GPS antenna/receiver