5hz GPS antenna w/USB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5hz GPS antenna w/USB?

I am searching without success for a 5Hz (5 updates per second) roof mount GPS antenna/receiver.

We are currently using the Garmin 18x 5Hz but it has a serial connection and requires a wonky USB adaptor which is causing other problems (like sometimes when you reboot the XP thinks the serial adaptor is some type of ballpoint pointing device!!) Garmin's USB version of this only outputs the proprietary Garmin protocol.

The antenna is being used in a street-level imaging application (like Google Street View) so the more frequent updates are necessary for geocoding the images.

Any suggestions or links appreciated.

Regards,

Bill McMullin

You can disable the "mouse" in device manager. That's what I had to do to for my Onstar GPS to serial mod.

Comment

Originally posted by barnyard View Post
      You can disable the "mouse" in device manager. That's what I had to do to for my Onstar GPS to serial mod.
      Thanks Barnyard,

Yes, we did figure out how to disable the offending device but it seems to mysteriously come back at times on reboot.

I believe I may have found what I was looking for in the Navibe GM720, which claims to emit updates 10 times a second. For only $28 per, I'm a little suspicious. Check it out here http://www.buygpsnow.com/navibe-gm72...abled-779.aspx

Comment

Or try this:
        http://www.pcmaritime.co.uk/leisure/...pingmouse.html
        openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
        - Always Recruiting Developers -
        Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by bmcmullin View Post
          Thanks Barnyard,

Yes, we did figure out how to disable the offending device but it seems to mysteriously come back at times on reboot.

I believe I may have found what I was looking for in the Navibe GM720, which claims to emit updates 10 times a second. For only $28 per, I'm a little suspicious. Check it out here http://www.buygpsnow.com/navibe-gm72...abled-779.aspx
          "It can track up 20 satellites at a time and update data position every 1 second."

its a simple Sirf3 stuff, gives 1Hz only...

i got my Quectel L10 module last week, but i had no time to built the receiver with it - so i did not test it by this time

the documentation says that its update rate is up to 10Hz - but its true only with special firmware from chipset supplier (MTK3329). with default firmware, the 5Hz is guaranteed, but if You need faster, You should get in contact with Quectel...
          "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
          Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

FPeter,

You are right. The folks at BuyGPSNow confirmed that there is/was a typo on the site. It's funny because the same typo was on the manufacturer's site.

Re the Quectel unit, I'd be delighted with 5Hz but unfortunately I'm not an electrical engineer! Correct me if I'm wrong but the module needs an enclosure, cable, antenna etc?

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with the module?

Originally posted by FPeter View Post
            "It can track up 20 satellites at a time and update data position every 1 second."

its a simple Sirf3 stuff, gives 1Hz only...

i got my Quectel L10 module last week, but i had no time to built the receiver with it - so i did not test it by this time

the documentation says that its update rate is up to 10Hz - but its true only with special firmware from chipset supplier (MTK3329). with default firmware, the 5Hz is guaranteed, but if You need faster, You should get in contact with Quectel...

Comment

FPeter,

You are right. The folks at BuyGPSNow confirmed that there is/was a typo on the site. It's funny because the same typo was on the manufacturer's site.

Re the Quectel unit, I'd be delighted with 5Hz but unfortunately I'm not an electrical engineer! Correct me if I'm wrong but the module needs an enclosure, cable, antenna etc?

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with the module?
              yes, as you said, cable, antenna and power supply circuit is required, i will connect them myself. it has native USB support with virtual serial port emulation, so another circuit is not required...

but there are several receiver model on the market with MTK chipset, and most of them can be tweaked to 5Hz (if 1Hz is the factory setting)... You can find more info about modding on this forum: click and click
              Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

I'm not aware of any USB magnet-mount consumer GPS receiver on the market right now that is capable of more than 1Hz. However, if you could use a unit without magnet, then I think there are some Bluetooth, and ever Bluetooth/USB (dual) units that can do 5Hz and even 10Hz. I think they are mostly based on the MTK2 chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac View Post
                  I'm not aware of any USB magnet-mount consumer GPS receiver on the market right now that is capable of more than 1Hz. However, if you could use a unit without magnet, then I think there are some Bluetooth, and ever Bluetooth/USB (dual) units that can do 5Hz and even 10Hz. I think they are mostly based on the MTK2 chipset.
                  hmmmm, what?

how do You mean that? USB vs. Bluetooth... Bluetooth is why better? Magnet is why problem?

USB in case of Sirf3 / other old: serial Rx/Tx from chipset connects to a USB transciever
                  BT in case of Sirf3 / other old: serial Rx/TX from chipset connects to a BT transciever

USB in case of MTK2 / other new: internal USB slave support with virtual serial port
                  BT in case of MTK2 / other new: serial Rx/TX from chipset connects to a BT transciever

its clear, there are no difference between USB and BT connection in case of older stuffs, and if there are any difference between USB and BT in case of newer chips, then the advantage is on the side of USB - might achieve higher speed - but it does not matter, speed of serial is enough for 5-10Hz

so, in case of similar chipset with similar settings, there is no difference! only the annoying BT sync and RF interference against the robust cable installation...

Comment

i finished the pre-alpha version of the receiver with the MTK3329 Quectel L10 module, and its very good. the 5Hz refresh rate is real, gives different datas 5 times in every sec. the reaction of speed measuring (i prefer iGo2008 PC) is much more sensitive than with Sirf3 Royaltek, and its reception is fine with a small 15x15mm antenna...

Comment

I am searching without success for a 5Hz (5 updates per second) roof mount GPS antenna/receiver.

We are currently using the Garmin 18x 5Hz but it has a serial connection and requires a wonky USB adaptor which is causing other problems (like sometimes when you reboot the XP thinks the serial adaptor is some type of ballpoint pointing device!!) Garmin's USB version of this only outputs the proprietary Garmin protocol.

The antenna is being used in a street-level imaging application (like Google Street View) so the more frequent updates are necessary for geocoding the images.

Any suggestions or links appreciated.

Regards,

Bill McMullin
                      Hey Bill are you still around? Where did you find the USB adapter?

I have the garmin 18x 5HZ and was trying to wire it up, but the wiring diagram is strange.

The yellow wiring is shown just dangling and doing nothing. Is that correct?

I was wondering about attaching the red wire to a USB cable to provide 5V input. Is that what you did? Or did you by a cable to do it for you? Thanks for any help. And as to the USB option no I haven't seen one. Alternatively I could get a 5volt battery I guess. That would be the proper way, but then the battery would die often.

BTW I soldered to the 5 volt line from the computer power supply and hooked it up but Windows did not recognize any device connected. Is there something one needs to do with serial port connection to wake windows up to them? (The yellow is still just floating in space for now).

edit: Well I guess I am just ignorant. I got the stuff for the other 18x models and lo and behold I could communicate with my GPS and read it and so on. Do RS232 GPSes not need a driver then? I can't find one on Garmin's site for it. I need to rewire the compute a bit though so I can put a fuse in the connection and make it a proper plug instead of just have a wire sticking out from the case.
                      Attached Files
                      My Install

Comment

Regarding the wiring question, I'll have to ask one of my engineers who rigged it up.

We have since found a much better solution, which is a 5Hz GPS receiver/antenna/puck with a native USB connection. It is from GlobalTop out of Taiwan. Unfortunately they have no distribution for the product in the US, so we had to order samples directly, which they shipped via FedEx, all for a very reasonable fee. Hard to believe, but it appears they have the only roofmount, waterproof, USB GPS receiver that operates at 5Hz. In fact, the change log in the manual suggests they can make it operate at 10Hz!

If you or anyone want the PDF spec sheet please email or PM me with your email address.

Bill McMullin

Comment

Regarding the wiring question, I'll have to ask one of my engineers who rigged it up.

We have since found a much better solution, which is a 5Hz GPS receiver/antenna/puck with a native USB connection. It is from GlobalTop out of Taiwan. Unfortunately they have no distribution for the product in the US, so we had to order samples directly, which they shipped via FedEx, all for a very reasonable fee. Hard to believe, but it appears they have the only roofmount, waterproof, USB GPS receiver that operates at 5Hz. In fact, the change log in the manual suggests they can make it operate at 10Hz!

If you or anyone want the PDF spec sheet please email or PM me with your email address.

Bill McMullin
                          Which chipset use? Venus634LPx which I use can do 10Hz without problems...

Comment

10Hz bluetooth GPS receiver for $60. You can also get a 5Hz GPS receiver for $30.
                            Just make sure that your navigation software allows more than a 1Hz refresh rate.
                            http://www.buygpsnow.com/wintec-g-ra...mount-834.aspx

Comment

I have that Wintec receiver. After using it for a while now, I'm not sure I can really recommend it.

It "usually" works but it can have some issues coming back after hibernation sometimes. The device will be connected and sending data but refuses to get a lock (or even see any satellites, sometimes). A power cycle usually brings it right back. However, this means that I can't mount it under the dash yet as I occasionally need to have physical access to it to hit the power button.

I have it connected via USB but there is no option to disable bluetooth. It does not come on with USB so it has to be left on permanently.

When it does work, it's pretty good, though. 10Hz as advertised and GMPC is able to deal with the high update rate (but doesn't necessarily update the display that fast)

Comment

Working...
                              X