Using Android Phone as GPS receiver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Android Phone as GPS receiver

I was trying to get my pdanet software working and noticed on the Android market an app called "GPS tether" I haven't tried it yet.. I will. For awhile now I tried to decide whether to buy a USB receiver for my car, when my phone already does navigation well. If I can use my phone as a USB receiver that would be a free solution.

I think that depends on what you want out of your carpc. For me, its being able to have it as a completly independant integrated system... no needing to get in the car, start a phone app, plug it in, and deal with all that. I just hop in my car and go. Well worth the 30 or so. But then that's just my opinion, I don't like the idea of my carpc depending on external hardware to operate.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

Its very buggy and unstable but it can be used as a gpsd server over the android debug bridge.
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Yeah, everyone has their own way of doing things. My CarPC is going to be a very economical solution for now. When I get in my car I usually always plug in the usb to charge it, and aux for music. Ill be using a usb tether to share my phones 3G connection with my car.. it automatically tujrns on when I plug the phone in, it can also use bluetooth but I might as well keep it charged. My 3G tether works great, and I hope ill find a way for the gps to tether at the same time, automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
          Its very buggy and unstable but it can be used as a gpsd server over the android debug bridge.
          That is cool. Maybe will help me finish the gps raw plugin for OM since I would not have to go out to the car to test with a receiver. Mounted mine in the dash expecting to never really need it outside the car again.
          openMobile - Download

Comment

Originally posted by heezer7 View Post
            That is cool. Maybe will help me finish the gps raw plugin for OM since I would not have to go out to the car to test with a receiver. Mounted mine in the dash expecting to never really need it outside the car again.
            Just use a standalone GPS simulator program...works just as well and allows you to pick the data reported
            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
            - Always Recruiting Developers -

Comment

yeah, this just sounds like an excuse to screw around with this eventually. Also to add gpsd support.
              openMobile - Download

Comment

Working...
              X