Just ordered this 5hz USB GPS Receiver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ordered this 5hz USB GPS Receiver

As I was getting sick of the the choppiness of GMPC with the BU-353, I set out to find a cheap 5HZ receiver to try out. I didn't want a BT one as this gps unit will always be in my car and BT ones tend to be larger. In my searches I came across this one, which seems to have pretty decent specs and is pretty cheap. Hopefully I will get it in the next few days and let you peeps know how it compares to the BU-353.

http://www.semsons.com/igmusbgpsre6.html

Product Description: GM-2 series is a cabled GPS solution with 55 x 63 x 16 mm in size. Equipped with antenna, back up battery GPS engine and onboard memory, it provides superior navigation performance under dynamic conditions in areas with limited sky view like urban canyons. High sensitivity up to -165dBm for weak signal operation without compromising accuracy. GM-2 is your best choice for cabled GPS applications.

# Lead-Free RoHS/WEEE compliant
    # Tracks 66-Channel of satellites
    # Fast Position Fix
    # Low power consumption
    # USB interface
    # LED indication for GPS status
    # Build-in re-chargeable backup battery
    # IPX7 waterproof

Product Specification:
    # General: L1 frequcney, C/A code (SPS), 66 independent tracking channels
    # Sensitivity: -165dBm /Tracking
    # Update Rate: Up to 5Hz
    # Accuracy: Without aid: 3.0m 2D-RMS <3m CEP (50%) without SA (horizontal)
    # DGPS (WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS, RTCM): 2.5m
    # Acquisition (open sky) (Cold/Warm/Hot) : 35/34/1.5 sec
    # Reacquisition: < 1sec
    # Dynamic: Altitude : 18000m (max.), Velocity : 515m/sec (max.), Acceleration :4G (max.)
    # Supply Voltage: DC 5V
    # Power Consumption: 40mA @ 5V / Tracking
    # Backup Battery: Build-in
    # NMEA Message: NMEA0183 v3.1 baud rate 4800/9600/... /57600, default 115200
    # Selectable Output: GGA, GLL,GSA, GSV, RMC, and VTG
    # Datum: Default WGS-84
    # Antenna: Build-in 25*25*4mm patch antenna, right hand circular polarization, 50ohm
    # Mac support: Yes
    # Connector: USB type A male
    # Dimension:57 x 64 x 16(H) mm max

I never really heard of the I-Blue brand, so hopefully i choose the right thing, as I only used specs to make my decision.

That looks like the 5hz version of the USB puck I have in my carpc. Works flawlessly, picks up all the satellites it can, quick lock, never had a problem with it, even using win7 hybrid sleep.

Comment

Thanks for the info, can't wait to try it out!!!

Comment

Must be a new product, I haven't seen it before. Looks good. I'll likely order one for myself, and a couple more for a couple of friends so we can each test and share info...

I don't think it has a magnetic base, as the BU-353, and also the higher baud rate will be an issue for some applications. But it should work with GMPC fine.

I wonder if it is possible to switch from 5Hz down to 1 Hz via a software utility.\

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac View Post
          Must be a new product, I haven't seen it before. Looks good. I'll likely order one for myself, and a couple more for a couple of friends so we can each test and share info...

I don't think it has a magnetic base, as the BU-353, and also the higher baud rate will be an issue for some applications. But it should work with GMPC fine.

I wonder if it is possible to switch from 5Hz down to 1 Hz via a software utility.
          Reading on some of the forums on people having issues with Street Trips and a 5hz receiver. They are using GPS gate to filter the NEMA information to slow it down somehow. The cool thing about GPSgate is that you select which port to filter only. Since I have GPS Gate I will try it and report back, as I want GMPC and S&T to work.

Comment

Kiru, the software version of GMPC should work with this unit right out of the box, but S&T will require 1. GpsGate to convert the baud rate down to 4,800, and 2. you will have to switch from 5Hz down to 1Hz (else S&T will display your GPS location with a long delay).

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac View Post
              Kiru, the software version of GMPC should work with this unit right out of the box, but S&T will require 1. GpsGate to convert the baud rate down to 4,800, and 2. you will have to switch from 5Hz down to 1Hz (else S&T will display your GPS location with a long delay).
              I finally got the receiver today and installed it in my car. GMPC runs ALOT smoother, and I got Street Trips to work pretty decent with these settings I found:

http://forum.gpsgate.com/topic.asp?T...reet,trips,5hz

I didn't have that much time to test today, so I will report back when I go for a longer drive and see actually how well S&T can work this receiver through filtering with GPS Port. But all I can say, with my limited testing, GMPC is leaps and bounds better with this receiver

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Did GMPC work w/out changing any settings of the receiver, and/or even w/out GPS Gate?

Comment

Does it work with iGuidance 2009?
                  2005 Nissan Altima - Completed 2007
                  2010 Nissan Altima - Coming Soon...

Comment

Okay so further testing on the way home from work, and this is what I noticed:

GMPC
                    - on full zoom, it still moves backwards a little, but is very acceptable compared with BU353.
                    - If I zoom out a notch from full, the backwards movement is virtually gone, but it you really pay attention, you can still notice it a very little bit
                    - Maybe a good excuse to look for a 10HZ receiver
                    - I did not have to change any settings in GMPC for this receiver to work, it just picked it up through the settings and worked right away
                    - Tried using it without GPS Gate, and same thing, worked without a hitch

Street Trips
                    - unfortunately it still has a delay, when I first tried it for a few seconds, it worked great but after using it today for roughly 10 mins, the delay is unacceptable, and unusable.
                    - At first I set GPS Gate wrong and forgot to save the settings to delay the data at 1 burst per second, but after getting this setting right, I actually didn't pick-up any satellites and it doesn't work. So the link I posted DOES NOT WORK (or at least for me) I will keep trying and hopefully with a little trial and error, I might be able to tweak GPS gate to work with S&T

As for Iguidance - I don't have this program so cannot test. But next I will try to see if this receiver works with Destinator (as I use centrafuse for my front end)

This receiver does come with software to change the frequency from 1-5HZ, but I do not want to change it every time to use S&T, as I use gmpc a lot more, and to me S&T is just a nice to have.

More testing to come!

Comment

Quick question....if you have upgraded to the 5hz unit for GMPC, why not leave the old BU-353 in the car as well?

Run the 5hz I-blue for GMPC, and the 1hz BU-353 for S&T?

It would also mean not having to use gpsgate to split the signals, you can just have one for each

Comment

Originally posted by Chester View Post
                        Quick question....if you have upgraded to the 5hz unit for GMPC, why not leave the old BU-353 in the car as well?

Run the 5hz I-blue for GMPC, and the 1hz BU-353 for S&T?

It would also mean not having to use gpsgate to split the signals, you can just have one for each
                        The funny thing is that I actually thought about that.....but then I decided against it, as I didn't want 2 receivers on my dash and give up another USB for it. I enjoy tweaking, even if gets me no where

Comment

Thats a fair call, especially if it involves tweaking!

For me, it would be easy, as I can hide the units under the dashmat, and nothing is visible, but I could see having more than one unit visible would look cluttered.

Comment

After a few more tests on my home from work, I finally got S&T to work!!!....I followed these instructions:

http://forum.gpsgate.com/topic.asp?T...s=5hz,receiver

Theory B Let's assume it is something else that triggers the 5Hz mode, and we simply want to reduce the amount of data.
                            1. Remove the Virtual Port you currently have.
                            2. Add "Virtual COM Port / NMEA Filter"
                            3. Select the COm port number you want to create and click "OK"
                            4. Now a "NMEA Filter" dialog shows up, and here we can filter the data stream.
                            5. Click "block everything but..."
                            6. Select "$GPRMC" in "Command filter". Set "Time interval" to 1 (second)
                            7. Click "Save"
                            8. Repeat 6 & 7 for "$GPGSA" and "$GPGSV".

You should now have a list of filters in the list box under the "Save" button.

9. Click OK on the dialog.
                            I also let $GPGGA though the filter. These settings will make S&T work pretty good, but I think I still notice a minor delay (maybe half a second or less), but is totally usable and the lag is very very small. Hope these findings will help other people trying to make a 5hz receiver work with S&T.

As for Destinator, no matter what I do, I still cannot get it going. But I think some more trial and error is needed

Comment

This is an MTK2 chipset receiver (by the specs). You can use the Qstarz GPS utility to configure it and change the update rate, the port speed, and the messages it sends, no need to do any filtering later on.

I am going to be buying one of these ASAP. I have been looking for an MTK2 usb gps withOUT bluetooth or logging, just a simple gps reciver. (I had an MTK1 based one that worked fantastic but I accidentally broke it)
                              -James
                              Car: 2004 GTI VR6 24v Turbo 2.8L, GT35R, 630cc, Unitronic, Bosch 044, etc, etc..
                              Main PC:i7 [email protected], 6GB DDR3, MSI X-58 Pro-E, Win 7 x64 RTM, Scythe Mugen2, 128GB G.Skill Falcon, 2x ATI4850 512MB Crossfire, Auzentech X-Fi Forte, Grado Labs SR-80

Comment

Working...
                              X