carputer gps vs modding a store bought gps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carputer gps vs modding a store bought gps

I'm new to this site but i've already found lots of helpful info. I'm thinking about installing a gps/carputer in my 2004 mazda 6 like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0qAhdfxInA but I'm not sure if a custom carputer is as accurate and fast as a store bought gps modded to fit in the same place.
    any help will be greatly appreciated.

As Accurate? Sure. As Fast? Probably, depends greatly on the software. Customizable/features? The carpc absolutly blows away turn by turn GPS units. The CarPC isn't just a GPS, it's an entire entertainment center in your dash. You can do pretty much anything you can think of on a computer, on your carputer.

If you JUST want gps, go get a gps. If you want a new hobby and the full power and customization of a car computer, I highly recommend installing one. Store bought GPS's are a waste of money imo.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

If all you want is turn by turn GPS outta this, is an android smartphone out of the question for you? I mean you get free turn by turn powered by google maps with every one of the android smartphones and they work the best out of all the devices i use.
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

^+1

i was originally thinking of including gps into my carpc, but imo, it just isn't worth it.. $100-150 for a license, older maps, large hdd space to store all of that.. but hu's are no better imo-- just look at how much it would cost to upgrade the nav discs..

so i stick with standalone gps's-- i can get a new one for cheaper then i can upgrade the software..
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

I've thought about the android phone option too, and still might get one, but I think the challenge of customizing a carpc would be a thrill. I'll have to do more research and save up but I'll eventually do. Thank you all for you input!

Comment

Working...
          X