earthmate wont lock onto satellite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• earthmate wont lock onto satellite

just got the new usb earthmate (bright yellow one)

im using the test too included with their drivers
    i get data sent and it tries to lock but never does
    i let it sit there for a good 15 minutes and nothing

i initialized it with the correct state, the correct time and had it auto detect

i also have the unit pointed right out my window to the sky (im just testing right now before i put the computer in the car)

i plan on calling delorme tomorrow but maybe i can avoid that

any help is appreciated
    2004 G35 Coupe project

Are you trying to use it with SA2003? or another app? I know when I first got it, I didn't set anything up, I simply pulled the carpc from the car, installed sa2003, and threw the gps out of the (second story ) window and went off and ate dinner . By the time I came back, it had figured out a 2-d lock on its own.
    -Nick

Comment

are you testing it in your house? it won't work indoors... it's gotta be outside!
      aka Kumaneko
      "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
      Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
      mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
      Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Additionally the first time that you use a GPS it'll take 15 or so minutes to obtain a lock, provided that you have a clear view of the sky. From my window I'm lucky if I can get 4 sats, normally not even that. Try it outdoors for a while first, and report back.
        IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

im trying it from my house but pointing it out my window as shown here:

i usually find two satellites that alternate

i cant try it outside since i have no computer to use it outside

after about 3 minutes i get this:

but im 15 minutes in now and still no lock

edit: after about 25 minutes i got 2d fix
          3 satellites turned green
          about a minute later i lost one of the satellites and lost fix
          2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

do you have a laptop or carputer? it would really be best to be out in the open.. it will be hard with the shielding of the building.
            aka Kumaneko
            mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation

Comment

Originally posted by ShinkunoNamida
              do you have a laptop or carputer? it would really be best to be out in the open.. it will be hard with the shielding of the building.
              just a desktop PC, no laptop
              i dont see how having it in my car would be any better
              the thing is right outside my window and pointed directly at the sky
              it should simulate exactly what its like for the unit to be in the back window of the car (or so I think)
              2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

well even though it's dangling out your window.. it is still very close to the building... how much further up does it go?

it can only get a lock on satellites in it's view.. if you were in downtown manahattan you'd probably have a lot of trouble in many neighborhoods. (if not most (if not all))
                aka Kumaneko

Comment

threw the thing out onto my roof and got a lock in about 7 seconds
                  very happy
                  got it to work with sa2003
                  it doesnt get the exact position though, it thinks im further down the street than i really am
                  2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

I'd bet that it is much more likely that sa2003 is incorrect, your GPS will have the exact co-ordinates to within a dozen feet or so.

Strange, everywhere that I have gone it's 100% accurate.

Glad that it works though. How many sats did it lock on to when on the roof?
                    IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

it was around 5-6 satellites, all green
                      it got 3d dgps fix
                      sa2003 is the only program i have to try so i cant confirm that its at fault
                      i wish i had copilot

edit: wtf
                      i just got it working with mappoint fine
                      it finds my exact location too
                      what is wrong with street atlas?? id think it would work properly since the same people who make the receiver make the program
                      :-\

edit2: when i open mappoint up first it will work but when i open street atlas and then close it, mappoint no longer works with gps. gives the message i stated above
                      2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

Working...
                      X