GPS Lock Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Lock Problems

Ive had a carPC with GPS in my truck since 2002, so I am quite experienced in the subject

but recently, my GPS will not lock regularly...sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Im currently using a BU-353 that has been in service for almost 4 years. I thought maybe it was just old, so I got a new one (not a 353, but one a friend bought several years back but never implemented)

same problem...

nothing has changed in my system...same location, same hardware, same everything.....

ideas?
    G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

I was disappointed with my BU-353 when first purchased, it wouldn't lock on, this was in terrible weather however. I found that I needed to drive to a sunny open sky to lock on and I've not had any further problems since.

Comment

Does it happen everywhere, or only at home when you start the vehicle? Maybe something in the immediate environment is causing interference. Also less obvious stuff in the vehicle like a new smartphone or some other portable electronic device.

Comment

Anywhere, really.

Sometimes the GPS locks, then just quits on me....to come back later..

Sometimes the GPS will take HOURS to lock, other times it locks in under 1 minute.

Same cell phone I've use for over a year.

So strange!
        G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

Hmmm...garlic cloves and Holy water perhaps?

Comment

Just a thought, could be a connection or earth has changed in the Car PC installation. You could try checking every ground connection or plug the GPS into a laptop or borrow a stand alone GPS and see what happens to the GPS signal when you power UP/Down the Car PC.
            Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

Is the gps receiver connected to the pc through a hub? if yes, the hub may be the guilty one.
              Zotac Zbox id80
              64Gb Sansdisk SSD
              4Gb Ram, BU-353-S4 Gps
              7" resistive touch screen
              Win7 x86, BS 10.0.470, RR, Reborn,
              KKCanBus, BT Mobilephone, igo8.3, Garmin

Comment

I have this same issue. Worked fine in my last car but here in my new car I have intermittent lock. Two days ago I was on the highway and going to my destination it worked fine. Coming back it kept loosing lock and think i was off the road. I don't know what's going on with this thing. W7 machine.
                CarPc
                Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

Comment

Try having it on a meteal surface if possible.

They have a backup battery, which after a while dies. This is used to store the last location so that when you start again it doesn't have to go search the whole sky again. There should be a thread on this issue. (although it was based on the older BU-3xx)

Comment

Try in the bios if you have the antispread and put they "on" in the cpu, ram and bus, I have had the same problem and now is all ok, when I turn on my pc the gps is ok

Comment

What?? ^^^
                      CarPc
                      Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Comment

look here, so you understand me, my English is not so good

enabled everything you find inside
                        Attached Files

Comment

I don't think my board /bios has that. I have to double check. Thanks for the reply. Pictures always helps.
                          CarPc
                          Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Comment

My GPS has been behaving since a day or two from my original post

I was directly plugged directly into the motherboard, but for the last week Ive been on a non-powered hub. No problems, but Im not so convinced that was the solution.

Comment

well. in my case (BU-353), It has problem getting to lock at all, if i request position Before it has locked.. (I.E if i start a program that asks for position before i have left the garage). but i dont know if it has anything to do with your case..

Comment

Working...
                              X