Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Built help.

Hello,

I need some help, I have a project of a PC integrated in a car which is also part of the system is GPS navigation.

I have two GPS modules with integrated antenna one SIRF3 and another SIRF4 installed inside the car but both have a very weak signal but if i put it on the rooftop the signal it's great, so I'm looking for a solution for my needs, GPS / TMC and also capable to connect to a external antenna (Rooftop GPS/Cellular/PCS/WiFi antenna GPS 2400), but I have the following questions:

- How are the connections made​​?
    - Braker Usb <-> GPS module <-> Aerial
    - Braker Usb <-> GPS module <-> Antenna module <-> Aerial

- What material/modules is needed?

Thanks for your time.
    Mcouto

Personally I would look at the Sure Electronics bluetooth\serial\usb development board for your gps it has an external antenna with a 12' cable on it, plus 48channel. I use it on my all in one board. Here is the link
    http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=99 Also when installing a gps dongle in the car it needs a clear sightline to the sky, it can not go through metal. I usually install my tracking antenna's just under the dash around the speedo as usually only plastic there. In my own vehicle I have my antenna's in the middle of my roof. GPS needs a thing called a ground plane think flat metal surface 3' in diameter with GPS antenna in the middle that is the ideal position. Hope this helps SNO

Comment

Hi SNOtwistR,

thanks for your reply.

I have both of them on the same place on the top of the dash in front were it meet with the windshield so a good clear sight of the sky.
      I think the problem is with the windshield because my older gps receiver the SIRF3 always worked in that place since i installed the carputer but know not even a fix it can get.... so the only change made was the windshield that was replaced and i think i was replaced by a cheaper one (perhaps it has a different compound on the glass it self)..............

BR
      MCouto

Comment

Hi all,

Another question about gps connections:

I'm thinking to build from the scratch but before buying the components i need to understand how it works...

1 -To connect the computer to the GPS Module/receiver i need a usb to serial breakout board right ?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	2287869

2 - Then the GPS module connects to the antenna right ?

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	2287870

OR it can be this way?

Name:	03.jpg
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	2287871

OR this way?

Name:	04.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	2287872

Please fell free to coment and give ideas e just ordered the Rooftop Antenna so the rest still to plan what to buy.....

Thanks
        MCouto

Comment

Working...
        X