GPS & Wireless NIC interference....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS & Wireless NIC interference....

Has anyone else had a problem with their wireless NIC & GPS units not working well at the same time? I noticed when I have the wireless antenna pointed upwards towards the GPS receiver that my signal goes whack & takes FOREVER to lock. When it finally does lock it won't stay or puts me way out in BFE! As soon as I point the antenna away from the receiver I start picking up signals again.

Phil

Car: 1990 White Toyota Celica GT Hatchback, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter, AutoVation Celica Racing Pedals
    PC: Athlon TB 1000, Opus DC-DC Power Supply, 40GB, 8x DVD, 256MB RAM, FM/TV Tuner, 5.1 Audio, 7" Xenarc Touchscreen, GPS w/ CoPilot 2003, 802.11g wireless NIC
    System: Hifonics ZX8000 5ch amp, Sony XS-L101P5 10" Sub, Q-Logic .6 cu ft sealed enclosure
    Coming Soon: Clean install in custom hatch enclosure, USB 2.0 or Firewire hub in front console, Slot DVD in front console, VHF/UHF antenna

Well, civilian GPS is 1.57542GHz . That is considerably below the ISM Band in 2.4GHz where your radio is. It's not on a harmonic either. Maybe the antenna on your NIC is defective (ie it's a little too short or too long) or maybe you have a less sensitive receiver. In any case, antenna isolation seems to fix you, so is there some reason you have to have the antennas pointed right against each other? Can you not get some sort of external antenna for one or the other to mount them apart?

If you still want to do this, you can put shome lead foil shielding in between the two antennas for isolation if they are inside something. Also, make sure your GPS antenna is not on its side. Polarity can make a big difference with GPS.
    MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
    See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
    Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
    Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
    BMW I-Bus Integration
    My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

It's not that big of a deal really...and maybe it's just a coincidence, but the GPS was giving me solid red and the second I moved the wireless antenna away from it the thing went solid green. Eventually I plan on getting an external antenna for the wireless card anyway, so this would solve all of my problems. Currently I have the PC in my hatch with the wireless card attached (antenna pointing towards the sky) & the GPS receiver is sitting on top of a piece that comes down to hide any materials in the hatch. Anyway, thanks for the reply...I didn't think they were in the same range & you confirmed that for me.

Phil

Car: 1990 White Toyota Celica GT Hatchback, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter, AutoVation Celica Racing Pedals
      PC: Athlon TB 1000, Opus DC-DC Power Supply, 40GB, 8x DVD, 256MB RAM, FM/TV Tuner, 5.1 Audio, 7" Xenarc Touchscreen, GPS w/ CoPilot 2003, 802.11g wireless NIC
      System: Hifonics ZX8000 5ch amp, Sony XS-L101P5 10" Sub, Q-Logic .6 cu ft sealed enclosure
      Coming Soon: Clean install in custom hatch enclosure, USB 2.0 or Firewire hub in front console, Slot DVD in front console, VHF/UHF antenna

Comment

Working...
      X