Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS Software with custom maps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GPS Software with custom maps

    Hi,
    I`m willing to start my Carputer project soon, and the first thing I would like to get in consideration is the GPS stuff. I live in Mexico city and I'm not aware of any comercial software that would allow me to navigate with Mexico built in maps. I was wondering if anybody knows of any Windows software that could allow me to insert downloaded maps (from http://comercial.reforma.com/libre/comercial/mapas/ ), so I can insert them into the application and get my navigation maps.

    I found a Linux software named GPSDrive that would pretty much allow me what I'm willing to do (http://www.kraftvoll.at/software/index.shtml) but I just want something for Windows.

    Also it would be nice if you can tell me which GPS to buy, as I was thinking of a USB Earthmate.

    Thanks in advance!


    P.S. Hope I made myself clear
    Peugeot 307 XS
    The Drive of your life

  • #2
    I think the more accurate question to ask is if there even good maps for Mexico as a whole. US has done extensive surveying and stuff so that's why we have a lot of good maps. I'm not knocking Mexico, just that you might be limited by what type of maps you have to begin with.

    I checked out MS Streets and Trips 2004 and it seems to have extensive highway info for Mexico as well as some detailed street level (probably of major artery's) for Mexico city. Small towns and stuff however were only a name on the map. As for GPS unit, I think there is a new USB GPS unit that is pretty good, although I'm not sure who makes it. I'm using the Rand Mcnally Seiral GPS and really don't have much to complain about.

    Comment


    • #3
      Good Maps

      There are good maps for Mexico, just checkout:

      http://galileo.inegi.gob.mx/website/mexico/viewer.htm

      This map is from the National Statistical and Poblation Institute, and they offer the maps on CD. That's why I was womdering about Windows software that would let me use custom maps.


      Originally posted by adamis
      I think the more accurate question to ask is if there even good maps for Mexico as a whole. US has done extensive surveying and stuff so that's why we have a lot of good maps. I'm not knocking Mexico, just that you might be limited by what type of maps you have to begin with.

      I checked out MS Streets and Trips 2004 and it seems to have extensive highway info for Mexico as well as some detailed street level (probably of major artery's) for Mexico city. Small towns and stuff however were only a name on the map. As for GPS unit, I think there is a new USB GPS unit that is pretty good, although I'm not sure who makes it. I'm using the Rand Mcnally Seiral GPS and really don't have much to complain about.
      Peugeot 307 XS
      The Drive of your life

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi!
        My problem (or blessing..) is that I live in northern Finland which is practically periferia looked from any place on the planet. So even if Finland is member of European Union and usually encompassed as western Europe, the commercial map softwares doesnīt cover Finland and even if does, at least, not the area I live in (160 kilometres north from arctic circle).

        For that reason I use a navigation program called Seaclear in my car. Yes, as one can conclude from the name it is build for sea navigation purposes but can be used as superterranean use also. One brilliant feature in it is that one can scan whatever paper map into normal bitmap file and convert it into .wci -file with the calibration tool included with the install. Now one can even draw own maps with pencil on to back of corn flakes packet and scan them to be used with the software! Also if You have some ready digital map files, thereīs a big possibility that the convert tool can convert them (It supports really big list of map file types). It also supports mutiple levels of different scale maps of same area, zooming with the mouse wheel (perfect for Griffin PowerMate) , 4 level dimmer for night use, automatic GPS starting when starting the program and so on. It lacks voice support and automatic route navigation (turn left from next corner etc) but at least I donīt need such features.

        And the best feature of all, it is TOTALLY FREE.

        Hereīs the link:

        http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

        Hope this helped,

        /pete

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by yrga
          (from http://comercial.reforma.com/libre/comercial/mapas/ ), so I can insert them into the application and get my navigation maps.

          I found a Linux software named GPSDrive that would pretty much allow me what I'm willing to do (http://www.kraftvoll.at/software/index.shtml) but I just want something for Windows.
          These maps will be bitmap maps (which is what GPSDrive uses). These will not work with any navigation software, because they need vector-based data to do the navigation calculations.

          GingerPrince

          Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

          Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
          CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

          Comment


          • #6
            Pete,

            Thanks for the info, I'll be checking the software. I guess this software can help me out in my needs; I will buy my GPS this weekend so I'll be testing the software soon!!

            Which car do you own out there in Finland? (just wondering)

            yrga


            Originally posted by Peetu
            Hi!
            My problem (or blessing..) is that I live in northern Finland which is practically periferia looked from any place on the planet. So even if Finland is member of European Union and usually encompassed as western Europe, the commercial map softwares doesnīt cover Finland and even if does, at least, not the area I live in (160 kilometres north from arctic circle).

            For that reason I use a navigation program called Seaclear in my car. Yes, as one can conclude from the name it is build for sea navigation purposes but can be used as superterranean use also. One brilliant feature in it is that one can scan whatever paper map into normal bitmap file and convert it into .wci -file with the calibration tool included with the install. Now one can even draw own maps with pencil on to back of corn flakes packet and scan them to be used with the software! Also if You have some ready digital map files, thereīs a big possibility that the convert tool can convert them (It supports really big list of map file types). It also supports mutiple levels of different scale maps of same area, zooming with the mouse wheel (perfect for Griffin PowerMate) , 4 level dimmer for night use, automatic GPS starting when starting the program and so on. It lacks voice support and automatic route navigation (turn left from next corner etc) but at least I donīt need such features.

            And the best feature of all, it is TOTALLY FREE.

            Hereīs the link:

            http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

            Hope this helped,

            /pete
            Peugeot 307 XS
            The Drive of your life

            Comment


            • #7
              There are a number of software packages that will show your position on a "moving map" display. Most will allow you to put in a route (essentially draw a line between a series of points on the map) so you can follow it. These DO NOT give directions - all you can do is compare the position displayed against the map or your pre-planned route. Be warned though; entering routes can be pretty tedious if you want them to follow a road that makes a lot of turns.

              Here are some that I know of that will work with various formats of maps or satellite photos. Basically, if you can get a digitized graphic image of the map in the right format and can tell the program the latitude and longitude of 3 or more points (typically the corners) of the map, they can track your position. You can visit the sites to get more information.

              Fugawi
              OziExplorer
              ExpertGPS

              There are others. Do a Google search for GPS Moving Map Software and you should find more. Also check out this site for lots of GPS related information.

              Alan

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks so much! I will give a try to the links you told me. I don't really want the software to tell me how to get to any given place, showing my position within a custom map will do for me.




                Originally posted by Alanh
                There are a number of software packages that will show your position on a "moving map" display. Most will allow you to put in a route (essentially draw a line between a series of points on the map) so you can follow it. These DO NOT give directions - all you can do is compare the position displayed against the map or your pre-planned route. Be warned though; entering routes can be pretty tedious if you want them to follow a road that makes a lot of turns.

                Here are some that I know of that will work with various formats of maps or satellite photos. Basically, if you can get a digitized graphic image of the map in the right format and can tell the program the latitude and longitude of 3 or more points (typically the corners) of the map, they can track your position. You can visit the sites to get more information.

                Fugawi
                OziExplorer
                ExpertGPS

                There are others. Do a Google search for GPS Moving Map Software and you should find more. Also check out this site for lots of GPS related information.

                Alan
                Peugeot 307 XS
                The Drive of your life

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi Yrga!
                  You asked me what car i had:

                  -02 Opel Omega STW 2,2

                  It is actually same car as Cadillac Catera but european version and STW.
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006

                    I live in FL but travel to Michoacan in Mexico where I was born. I use Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006 and so far has been the best software I've used in both Mexico and US. I like the accuracy and features the new version has. The only thing I don't like from it is that each time I start the software I have to start the GPS and agree to a pop-up license "Microsoft is not responsible..." when I am driving. I've used DeLorme Street Atlas 2006 but is not as accurate (at least where I live now) but does have more options than MS Streets even automatically starting the GPS when applications starts. But It does NOT have Mexico included. Try Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006. Let me know.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Way to resurrect a three year old thread....
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?



                      Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        DarquePervert, thanks for saying that! I was just about to wase my time creating some screenshots, etc...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Work Around for MS Streets & Trips

                          Originally posted by aelsensato
                          The only thing I don't like from it is that each time I start the software I have to start the GPS and agree to a pop-up license "Microsoft is not responsible..."
                          Use autoIt script to Start Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006; PM me if you need the exe to solve this. Compiled using AutoIt3.
                          Make something idiot proof, and they'll make a better idiot. Car modification is not just a hobby, it is a business.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X