Directions Infomap & USB Haicom 203E, XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directions Infomap & USB Haicom 203E, XP

Directions Infomap & USB Haicom 203E, XP.
    Just tried this combo out on my XP Pro laptop (SP1) - after a couple of minor snags with XP deciding the GPS unit was a "Serial Ballpoint Mouse" it's working handsomely (Downloaded latest XP driver from Haicom website, seems to have done the job ) - fix on 8 satellites straight away (next to a big building too) and a nice refresh rate on the map - good software and the voice guidance wets on Destinator.
    (Although it lacks a few other features that Destinator has) - not bad for a 100quid combo though!
    Nehemiah M10000 board, 512Mb RAM, Win98'lite', 7" TFT DIN in-dash VGA touchscreen. IR keyboard. GPS.

I've seen the pics on the Directions webpage, and it seems that Infomap will be harder to use with a touchscreen than destinator... What do you think? I haven't tryied Infomap, but I've the same GPS receiver, but with serial interface, and here, in my home window, it only locks with 4 satellites. Outside I haven't tested it so much, so I will say more later about this receiver.

Comment

Destinator / infomap

'out of the box' the destinator interface is *much* more at home on the smaller screen than Infomap - I might get the Infomap SDK to play with because there are a number of things I am not happy with in the Destinator SDK (That will be addressed in the next SDK version, I have been told by Powerloc), but the Destinator package scores highly in the small-touchscreen stakes (Seeing as it was primarily designed for handheld devices) - plus the 3d views in Destinator are very nice eye candy.
      Shame the voice guidance in Destinator isn't really up to much (Comes with a handful of pre-recorded wav's that sound a bit iffy stitched together, Infomap's voice guidance is creamy in comparison )

Although I've read that Destinator has some issues with any non-SiRF GPS unit. (EG the Haicom NMEA one)

Originally posted by david_liz
      I've seen the pics on the Directions webpage, and it seems that Infomap will be harder to use with a touchscreen than destinator... What do you think? I haven't tryied Infomap, but I've the same GPS receiver, but with serial interface, and here, in my home window, it only locks with 4 satellites. Outside I haven't tested it so much, so I will say more later about this receiver.
      Nehemiah M10000 board, 512Mb RAM, Win98'lite', 7" TFT DIN in-dash VGA touchscreen. IR keyboard. GPS.

Comment

Yes, destinator HAS problems with my GPS receiver (Haicom NMEA). I miss lot of turns, it gets bloqued, puts me on other street... tomorrow I'll give a try to MapPoint/AGPS, and see what happens. Does info map have 3D View? I haven't see it on the web. Wich version of infomap do you have, professional one?

Comment

Originally posted by david_liz
          Yes, destinator HAS problems with my GPS receiver (Haicom NMEA). I miss lot of turns, it gets bloqued, puts me on other street... tomorrow I'll give a try to MapPoint/AGPS, and see what happens. Does info map have 3D View? I haven't see it on the web. Wich version of infomap do you have, professional one?
          No - I just have the basic one.
          Professional one is practically the same as the basic one anyway - it's just a few features disabled (That I haven't missed) - the biggest difference is the SDK - which if you aren't planning on building your own interface, you'll never need it anyway.
          I think PowerLoc are going to address the NMEA issue in the next release of Destinator.
          Infomap does not have a 3d mode - although I find that to be just a bit of eye-candy anyway - looks nice but not particularly helpful (as it has no labels etc) - it [infomap] *does* have map rotation though (to rotate map to cars travelling direction) or to always point North - also displays car speed, altitude above sea level etc.
          For Laptop use I think Infomap is nicer, you have more control. The interface is far too fussy for small screens, so Destinator wins there.

Comment

Working...
          X