GPS software with directions - Australia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS software with directions - Australia

I need some software to use on a carputer. GPS reciever doesn't matter as it can be purchased accordingly to the softwares requirements.

What I need is something that gives directions and is very easy for someone who doesnt have much experience with it to use (my dad). Voice directions would be good but not necessary.

I was thinking of copilot 2003, or destinator, but im not sure if there are any other programs that do what I want, that don't need subscriptions and have australian maps.

cheers

edit: magellan also have a piece of software called navigator, but its only for NSW and ACT, or VIC & TAS (2 separate packages). Each package is $275AUD

Bump.

I'm looking for the same thing. For me it doesn't have to be that easy to use as only I will be using it (and I'll figure it out), also looking for one for victoria, Australia. Do want directions though, voice or otherwise.

Thanks

Comment

Me and Freeman are actually looking into purchasing that Magellan Navigator software once we get our gps receivers.

I don't think there is much else available in Australia. There may be a few others but they run on Pocket PC as far as I know.

If you find anything else let us know.

Thanks
      CarPC: Currently in progress...

Comment

I was using a highly customisable GPS software called GPSS (regware) where you can place a map while you provide coordinates on every 640x480 res. space. When I moved to Australia I then have to replace map to Aus. map particularly QLD.

Since I need a digital map I bought a UBD CD Brisbane (Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast) It's the same Street Map that you see on the yellow/white pages. As the cover says it has a longtitude/latitude provided but when I tested it with my GPS receiver I found out that it was offset by more that 10 meters. So standing in front of my house, my GPS software will show me that I'm in the toilet , thanks to UBD...

If I have to fix all the coordinates I would need to do around 3,000 maps, because of this I abandoned the project until I found a cheaper alternative. $AU30 wasted.

for a while I'm using a generic Qld. map provided by GPSS.
        [....99.9%]
        [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
        [....99.8%]
        [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
        [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

Comment

http://www.teletype.com/pages/gps/streetaustralia.html
          http://www.maptrax.com.au/memory-map.htm
          http://www.destinator1.com/products.emb

Try this sites courtesy of The Deluo Team. I emailed them and these are the maps that they recommend. I am not sure if they are any good.

Comment

Originally posted by danon
            ...but when I tested it with my GPS receiver I found out that it was offset by more that 10 meters.
            10 meters is the minimum margin of error for a consumer level GPS. Most of the time your GPS is more then 10 meters off the exact location. Unless you have a special permit (or are a member of the US military), you can't get any closer then that.
            A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
            http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy2097
              10 meters is the minimum margin of error for a consumer level GPS. Most of the time your GPS is more then 10 meters off the exact location. Unless you have a special permit (or are a member of the US military), you can't get any closer then that.

I know what your saying, though there are a lot of street by street gps mapping software and it tells you exactly where you are standing. Error in GPS from time to time is acceptable, but not all the time. In my case, all I'm saying is that UBD mapping with their provided long/lat is offset by 10 meters is just constant and the only way I can get it right is that if I adjust the map to the right long/lat according to the gps and then everything works fine, but I can't do that when there are hundred 640x480 maps to fix.
              [....99.9%]
              [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
              [....99.8%]

Comment

Originally posted by nova
                I need some software to use on a carputer. GPS reciever doesn't matter as it can be purchased accordingly to the softwares requirements.

What I need is something that gives directions and is very easy for someone who doesnt have much experience with it to use (my dad). Voice directions would be good but not necessary.

I was thinking of copilot 2003, or destinator, but im not sure if there are any other programs that do what I want, that don't need subscriptions and have australian maps.

cheers

edit: magellan also have a piece of software called navigator, but its only for NSW and ACT, or VIC & TAS (2 separate packages). Each package is $275AUD

At the moment I think Johnny Appleseed GPS "http://www.ja-gps.com.au/" is the best start for GPS stuff for Aussies although they are more into mobile gadgets, I'm pretty sure they have something of a help since they concentrate more on Australian market.

[....99.9%]
                [....99.8%]

Comment

Im going to purchase a USB GPS receiver, and write software to interpret the NMEA sentance information for integration into my own software.

I also found out that whereis.com.au (or, their parent company rather) sell vector based database of all streets & POI for major cities on CD form. So going to use that for the dataset for the app.

i go to a point in sydney (example), i get he GPS location, enter it into the calibration settings of my software, go to another point, get GPS loc, enter it, and thats the calibrations done. from there it will track etc.

thats what i plan.

Comment

Long/Lat GPS loc

Originally posted by Reactor
                    i go to a point in sydney (example), i get he GPS location, enter it into the calibration settings of my software, go to another point, get GPS loc, enter it, and thats the calibrations done. from there it will track etc.

thats what i plan.
                    This is what I have been doing for quite some time now. The thing is, the further you go on both end of your map, the more precise moving map you get. Although I can't afford to drive that far all the way (Sunshine Coast to NSW border, I live in Gold Coast) to lock it's Long/Lat, and I noticed that there are no aussie members living in Gold Coast at the moment (or I may be wrong), What I'm thingking is that all of us Aussies post their Long/Lat location instead, and this will help those who are working on their own GPS software and save time rather than taking a long drive. You may not post your house location if you don't prefer though, but any location that you have been and that you have registered. I will start gathering all the Long/Lat I registered and will post it here as soon as I can.

danon
                    [....99.9%]
                    [....99.8%]

Comment

Originally posted by danon
                      This is what I have been doing for quite some time now. The thing is, the further you go on both end of your map, the more precise moving map you get. Although I can't afford to drive that far all the way (Sunshine Coast to NSW border, I live in Gold Coast) to lock it's Long/Lat, and I noticed that there are no aussie members living in Gold Coast at the moment (or I may be wrong), What I'm thingking is that all of us Aussies post their Long/Lat location instead, and this will help those who are working on their own GPS software and save time rather than taking a long drive. You may not post your house location if you don't prefer though, but any location that you have been and that you have registered. I will start gathering all the Long/Lat I registered and will post it here as soon as I can.

danon
                      Well you wouldn't need to. get the GPS of a location in the CBD, and then say, liverpool, and then Hornsby, and then use those values for the basis for interpolation. I live on the central coast at the moment, and i dont have my equipment yet (apart from a Lilliput 7" Widescreen XGA Touchscreen w/ VGA input & remote which is giving me headaches in testing..).. so i cant verify this working. But from a programming logic point of view (I'm a coder by trade) this would offer the most precise GPS->MAP translation.

Comment

Well you wouldn't need to. get the GPS of a location in the CBD, and then say, liverpool, and then Hornsby, and then use those values for the basis for interpolation. I live on the central coast at the moment, and i dont have my equipment yet (apart from a Lilliput 7" Widescreen XGA Touchscreen w/ VGA input & remote which is giving me headaches in testing..).. so i cant verify this working. But from a programming logic point of view (I'm a coder by trade) this would offer the most precise GPS->MAP translation.
                        are you talking about the CDs, i'm not sure about CBD but here we have and i bought UBD CD just to get the digital version of the street map, later found out that it was offset by several meters (10 meters or so) when i tested it i was driving on a local street but gps shows me driving above houses, not good for a moving street map as in my case i have to cut small sections of map at 640x480 and register their long/lat at 0,0 and 640,480 pixels, if i have to fix it i'm gon'na end up fixing probably hundreds or even thousands of it.

danon
                        [....99.9%]
                        [....99.8%]

Comment

WARNING: Long post.. :P

as mentioned in another post, whereis.com.au have a link to purchasing street level information.

They have 3 types i beleive, only two of which would be usefull from my initial research.

UBD style raster image database.. basically the pages of the UBD scanned in with a small database of streets etc, giving page number and grid reference. basically a digital UBD.. Can be usefull on its own.. but better used in conjuction with #2..

Vector based Street and POI database. Basically its a list of all streets with locations, start, end, etc (not sure on what info is available in the format they provide). This means the custom software would not see hundereds of 640x480 images, but rather each street. It would be handy to know 2D graphics and basic vector operations before coding this type of application.

Something you have to realise is that GPS is NOT accurate for average civilian use. 10 meters is the threshold. ie, get your lcoation via the GPS, and draw a 5m radius circle around that location and you could be anywhere in there. There are supposed GPS receivers using slightly different technolgy called Differentiated GPS (i think, not sure on that name) which claim accuracy up to 2-3 meters. This would be interesting if true.

So, knowing that we are a 10m wide area moving around the streets, and that we have a vector based street database, we can use a basic "closest point on line" check, using the 10m wide circle, and the vector information for the nearest streets.
                          This will force a location on the street, but more processing of information would have to be used in order to stop street "popping" when another street comes too close to the current one and your position appears to "pop" across to the other street. but you can use GPS And/Or ECU information collected to determine if the vehicle has moved streets or not, and prevent too-large a change in position like that.

The only downfall of what i described is usually that vector based maps look like crap, and lack the nicities of the printed & digital raster UBD map segments. So... you could use the raster overlays, aligned with the vector information in memory to accomplish seamless map movement, tracking, routing etc.

as far as having hundereds of map segments to deal with, when drawing the map segments on screen, you could program them to crop & overlay on the fly so that they appear to be one map, and just load the map segments that are around the current one.

I'm sorry if i've gone into too much detail, i'm thinking like a programmer and tend to explain as if i'm talking to other programmers, so if you need me to clarify anything, i'd be happy to.

And as soon as i get the hardware for my carputer i can start on working examples of this technolgy. Though I only really intended the software i develop for my use, i'll consider giving it to the other ppl in AU that are in need of a good street-level GPS solution.

WOW that was long LOL

Jase

Comment

long/lat provided by UBD is wrong.

WARNING: Long post.. :P

Something you have to realise is that GPS is NOT accurate for average civilian use. 10 meters is the threshold. ie, get your lcoation via the GPS, and draw a 5m radius circle around that location and you could be anywhere in there. There are supposed GPS receivers using slightly different technolgy called Differentiated GPS (i think, not sure on that name) which claim accuracy up to 2-3 meters. This would be interesting if true.
                            this has been discussed and settled down in another post but i'll just clarify it again here.

i know what you are saying regarding the 10 m threshold, inaccuracy within 5m radius circle etc. but this is not the problem in my case so to make the story short, what i did is instead of reffering to long/lat provided by UBD, i fixed the long/lat provided by my GPS receiver instead, fixed several 640x480's sections of the map that i'm aware will be covered on my journey and wallah!! everything were fixed smoothly...i can see myself on screen (as an icon) driving on every street exactly where i'm supposed i should be. i'm not talking about theories here, i have been testing GPS accuracy for about a year or more now and if you heard those claims of accuracy within 2-3 m then i'm a living proof to tell you that it is true. the technique is that the more gps sattellites you aquire, the more accurate your location will be so in this case, positioning your gps unit is very important.

i'm glad that someone in the AU's working their hands on custom GPS software now, i have done mine too long and to know that someone fresh working on a different approach is a refreshing thing to me, keep us posted on your achievements, i have worked on bitmap images which is crappy and inefficient, i know i'm a developer who works mainly on digital graphics and should know better, but can't use vector either as my software's limited on bitmap so i'm very interested in your approach.

danon
                            [....99.9%]
                            [....99.8%]

Comment

oh ok.

Well when i finally get my usb GPS receiver and start playing round with it, i'll post some development versions for people to play with..

Comment

Working...
                              X