w00t w00t i just scored this

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• w00t w00t i just scored this

got it yestday at rat shack for 30 usd. . .so i bought two. . overall this pda software is ok. . . .it finds a lock in around 30 sec and it's pretty accurate

now i just gotta get some PC software for it (it's the PDA version) and mod one of the cables to make it work on my carputer

it is nmea compliant so it shoudl work with most software. . .it's not based on the newer chipsets.. but hey. . .for 30 bux it's a good deal
    2003 Mazda Protege5
    Molded Xenarc touch Screen
    Via M10000, seagate 40gb, 16x laptop dvd, RS gps
    EDAC 55w dc/dc
    homebrew shutdown controller
    2 power acoustik 10 FUBR's, A1800DB mono amp, AH600 to power mids and highs, pioneer speakers

dammit, i just paid $40 for the software only
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

I used to have the Laptop version paid 50 bucks over here in NJ , they still have 2 of those PDA ones in my local ratshack for 30 bucks each.

Comment

Do they have those for Palm, or only Pocket PC?

Comment

WOW!!! Good buy...
          Aura MR62 (F and R)
          My Current MP3s
          IamDefiler.com

Comment

I just drove across town to buy mine. If you call one radio shack, they can check store stock for all stores in their region. Just ask for 20-1601 (pda) or 20-1602 (laptop).

I got the pda version, and converted one of the cables to DB25. Also, I am working on making a small 6v regulator that fits in the battery compartment so that I can just apply 12v.

--Tom
            ME-6000, Lilliput 7" vga + touch, generic GPS, RedHat 9, custom mapping software.

Comment

I just finished making the voltage regulator that sits inside the battery compartment. I ended up using an LM7805, an input cap, and some diodes to protect reverse-hookup. Turns out that the GPS is happy with only 5v in.
              ME-6000, Lilliput 7" vga + touch, generic GPS, RedHat 9, custom mapping software.

Comment

Originally posted by ciagon
                I just finished making the voltage regulator that sits inside the battery compartment. I ended up using an LM7805, an input cap, and some diodes to protect reverse-hookup. Turns out that the GPS is happy with only 5v in.
                I don't know if it's that cost effective. For $90 you get a Deluo USB-powered one that doesn't need any custom wiring, it works on the USB port natively and it's NMEA compliant and it's a smaller. The question you have to ask are the time and parts you spend modifying the $30 one worth the extra $60 in the end?

Comment

Originally posted by spectrumzz
                  I don't know if it's that cost effective. For $90 you get a Deluo USB-powered one that doesn't need any custom wiring, it works on the USB port natively and it's NMEA compliant and it's a smaller. The question you have to ask are the time and parts you spend modifying the $30 one worth the extra $60 in the end?
                  What fun would a carputer be if you didn't to do custom wiring and look for the most cost effective solutions?

Also, I much prefer serial for gps's. The usb converter on my earthmate caused problems under linux, and my GPS35 with the usb converter causes my linux kernel to panic. Plus, it is easy to run serial over Cat-5 and still have several wires left for other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ciagon
                    I just drove across town to buy mine. If you call one radio shack, they can check store stock for all stores in their region. Just ask for 20-1601 (pda) or 20-1602 (laptop).

I got the pda version, and converted one of the cables to DB25. Also, I am working on making a small 6v regulator that fits in the battery compartment so that I can just apply 12v.

--Tom
                    i also had to call around town to find mine. . man i thought it was a good deal when it was 100 usd and now it's 30. . hell yea

they didnt' have any of the laptop version. . would've made things easier. . .but so far ive only been using it on my ipaq and it's pretty accurate with the included software. . ive made a serial connector with db9 connector (thanks to pocketpcpassion forums) and havn't been able to test it out yet since i don't have any pc gps software but ill try it when i get rand mcnally free after rebates from amazon. . i plan on just powering it from the 5v on my psu

-rich
                    2003 Mazda Protege5
                    EDAC 55w dc/dc
                    2 power acoustik 10 FUBR's, A1800DB mono amp, AH600 to power mids and highs, pioneer speakers

Comment

Originally posted by cafn8
                      Do they have those for Palm, or only Pocket PC?
                      actually the pda version also comes with palm connectors

on the packageing it says that it comes with cables for iPAQ 31-3700 series

palm m125/m130/m500/m515/i705

of course if you wanted to use it with whatever pda you could just solder on it's respective connector as long as the device has serial support. .. no tosh e740's and whatnot if i remember right
                      2003 Mazda Protege5
                      EDAC 55w dc/dc

Comment

Originally posted by traitorhound
                        i also had to call around town to find mine. . man i thought it was a good deal when it was 100 usd and now it's 30. . hell yea

they didnt' have any of the laptop version. . would've made things easier. . .but so far ive only been using it on my ipaq and it's pretty accurate with the included software. . ive made a serial connector with db9 connector (thanks to pocketpcpassion forums) and havn't been able to test it out yet since i don't have any pc gps software but ill try it when i get rand mcnally free after rebates from amazon. . i plan on just powering it from the 5v on my psu

-rich
                        I use this for testing:

http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/gps/dgps-ip.html

Just select the serial port and view the NMEA output. Also, you can use hyperterm or GPSTrackMaker.

That will atleast test your serial link.

Comment

i used hyperterminal and i saw the data flowing with this garbled stuff ( i know im not supposed to be able to understand it) but when i used that otehr program it couldn' get and NMEA data.. ..would that be because i was not outside and getting sattelite signal? or is that independant?
                          2003 Mazda Protege5
                          EDAC 55w dc/dc

Comment

Originally posted by spectrumzz
                            The question you have to ask are the time and parts you spend modifying the $30 one worth the extra $60 in the end?

$60 for a $1.50 7805 and 5 minutes of soldering? If that's not cost effective you must make more than $700 an hour.

Comment

Working...
                            X