Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I locate a good serial GPS unit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I locate a good serial GPS unit?

Everyone seems to be selling USB GPS units nowadays, and I do not want those. I want a serial GPS unit that will work with programs like Streets and Trips/MapPoint and NetStumbler and the such. Can anyone recommend a fairly decent serial unit, but more importantly, where I can get one (there is one on ebay now, but I also need one for my friend)

thanks
    Mazdaspeed Car Computer
    gotta redo it all

Originally posted by Dexter
    Everyone seems to be selling USB GPS units nowadays, and I do not want those. I want a serial GPS unit that will work with programs like Streets and Trips/MapPoint and NetStumbler and the such. Can anyone recommend a fairly decent serial unit, but more importantly, where I can get one (there is one on ebay now, but I also need one for my friend)

thanks
    Call a radio shack in the area and ask them to look for part number 20-1601 and 20-1602 in their district. They just discontinued it and the price went from $100 to $30. I have been using it and have been happy so far.

--Tom
    ME-6000, Lilliput 7" vga + touch, generic GPS, RedHat 9, custom mapping software.

Comment

I'm using Haicom HI-203E serial version, and I work's fine for me using destinator an d MP/AGPS. And you could use it with any adapter you buy, USB, serial, Pocket PC, Palm...

Comment

Garmin

Originally posted by Dexter

thanks
        Have you looked at Garmin? They still make Serial cables for most of their Outdoor GPS units.

I use the Garmin Etrex Vista for my MapPoint (with the $10 AGPS plugin http://www.techgt.com/agps/ because I must have voice prompts for turn by turn directions) and it works fine with the Serial cable! Check out Garmin!

Comment

If you have the $, the Garmin GPS16 and GPS35 kick some ***. They run about $160 and $200 respectively, but they are worth it. Fast aquire times, high quality antennas, lots of NMEA sentences, and a good update rate.

Oh yeah, and both come in serial.
          ME-6000, Lilliput 7" vga + touch, generic GPS, RedHat 9, custom mapping software.

Comment

Tell you what...You buy me a nice USB one (Delorme) and I'll give you my serial one...

eBay would be the best bet I would think...?
            Aura MR62 (F and R)
            My Current MP3s
            IamDefiler.com

Comment

most of these USB devices are in fact serial with a serial->USB converter. these are seen as /dev/usb/ttyUSB[blah]
              I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
              NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
              http://www.navsys.org/

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations about the Garmin units but they are a little out of my budget. I was looking to spend around ~$100.

I managed to finally find something:
                http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/34...m210pccig.html

How does that unit look?
                Mazdaspeed Car Computer
                gotta redo it all

Comment

deluo has the exact same GPS for cheaper

www.deluo.com

got mine today with adapter cables for my Axim and my laptop (USB)
                  Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                  Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                  I'M DEBT FREE!!
                  I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

awesome, my friend just showed me the deluo link
                    i will probably get that one

thanks!
                    Mazdaspeed Car Computer
                    gotta redo it all

Comment

wizardPC, what software are you using with the deluo? I just got mine in today but haven't tried it yet!
                      EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

Comment

I bought Street atlas 2004 pocket for my pocket PC for $40 at compusa, and I am gonna use the rand mcnally software taht came with the unit for my laptop and eventually in the carputer
                        Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                        Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                        I'M DEBT FREE!!
                        I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

I was just wondering cuz I got the routis software and the rand mcnally software. I installed routis last night and I am not too happy with it.
                          EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

Comment

What's with the stuipid color? The specs and price both look good, but why dont they make it in black?

--Tom

Comment

No kidding. I have to find a different pair of shoes to match it...

'93 Explorer Sport
                              EPIA M10000, 256 MB RAM, 120 GB HD, OPUS 150W PS, 7"TS, slot load DVD, GPS

Comment

Working...
                              X