can someone help???????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can someone help???????

I got an earthmate and cant get my gps working in the carputer. I says that windows cant recognize usb device. then when I*m in street atlas and hit start gps,I get an error"cant open specified USB port. can you help did you .been messing with it for 2 days now,and cant figure it out, tried installing the drivers ,still nada did get it to work in my desktop please help jules

Originally posted by julesbchillin
    I got an earthmate and cant get my gps working in the carputer. I says that windows cant recognize usb device. then when I*m in street atlas and hit start gps,I get an error"cant open specified USB port. can you help did you .been messing with it for 2 days now,and cant figure it out, tried installing the drivers ,still nada did get it to work in my desktop please help jules

Your motherboard's USB drivers are probably not installed or installed incorrectly. Go to the website of your motherboard's manufacturer, and download the latest USB drivers,
    My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
    Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

tried that every thing else seems to work from the usb.man this is killing me.,when I plug the earthmate into my desk top I hear the little ding and Im ready.it shouldbe the same for the carputerbut no dice the gps should show up in device manager in human interface devices but it does not in pops up under universal serial bus controllers,as unknown device, when I plug it in and it says a usb devce malfunctionedchlick here to resolve, but it just shows me device manager/////???????

should I reinstall windows???????

Comment

what mobo?
        Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Intel 815EG Windows XP Home PreIntsalled
          Intel 1.2GHz Celeron Processor
          256MB SDRAM Memory
          40G Hard Disk Drive
          Built-in Audio & Video
          10/100base-T Ethernet
          3-USB, 1 Fire-Wire
          CD-ROM
          Dimension (in): 5.75 x 9.84 x 1.65
          Operating Temperature: 32F ~ 122F
          Weight: 2 lbs
          Intel 815EG Chipset Chipset

Comment

Just out of interest...is it USB powered? or it needs an external supply?

It might be overloading your USB port, try removing some other device make sure it on its own...or plug it in another PC as some USB dont source enough current.

Comment

no it usb powered,but I dont seem to have a problem with anything else, and I just tried to unplugg every thing and i still get the error that one of my usb devices malfunctioned,and windows does not recognize it,

Comment

and in steet atlas i get an error cant open specified usb port.???????

Comment

LOL sounds like you are really stressed...sorry man cant help cracking up.

Anyway...I dont think you can do much until you resolve the "device malfunction" error.

Best next move is try reinstalling your GPS driver or try another PC before rebuilding...did you got it working on your desktop PC and does any other USB works on your carPC did you say?

I had a problem once where XP thinks the GPS is a serial mouse and kept moving the mouse about.

Once you got the device "seen" try hyperterminal to see the NMEA sentences if streetatlast still wont work.

Thats all I can think of...good luck

Comment

desktop im golden. cant seem to figure out why It wont work on the carpc.my desktop reconizes it right away,and yas every thing else seems to work in myusb ports

Comment

dam got it working with a usb hub?????that will do for now.!!!any one know why it works with a powered usb hub. It might not be getten enough power?????any one know of a good usb hub for carputer use???? thanks

Comment

Remember >>> It might be overloading your USB port as on post #6

Well there you have it...your GPS is taking too much power from your onboard USB. Some USB port does not follow the exact specifications...or maybe your device just take too much current. Something like 300mA - 500mA is the typical maximum current.

EDIT >>>

Because powered USB hubs can pump more current...If you intend to run alot of current hungry devices then buy a powered hubs with the most current capabilty...You need to power it by mains adapter though

Comment

do I need an inverter/ or can I wire a usb port to my batt????Im tryin not to use an inverter, any suggestions?????

Comment

You can...but check the power requirement of the hub. You will most likely need a 5V regulator as the USB put out 5V on its pin.

If the hub have a built in regulator...if its powered by 9V lets say then you may be able to connect it directly to the car battery...but check if this can be done safely. The input range is probably from 9-15V.

Comment

thanks ,I got a little usb hub from radio shack with no power adapter and it works.nice !!now I dont have to worry about that. wonder why it works now.??

Comment

Working...
                              X