help w/copilot usb receiver and virtual com port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help w/copilot usb receiver and virtual com port

for the life of me, i can't get my copilot usb receiver to show a com port for it in windows.
    copilot works fine, but when i run their little portfind app, it doesn't find anything on any com ports virtual or not.
    I'm trying to get it so i can use it w/mappoint in mediacar, but it just doesn't wanna track.

I think cproaudio has this working, but i'm not sure... anyone?
    Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
    Mods: Yep
    Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

My Copilot USB GPS receiver is for Copilot only. I have a Garmin GPS16 serial receiver for everything else like Street Atlas, Mappoint, Streets&Trips, MediaCar. I just tried the Copilot receiver with Street Atlas and it worked. You have to change MediaCar's port setting to match the COpilot's GPS receiver. you can see the port setting in device manager under Ports (COM&LPT) Cypress USB-HID-> (COM#)
    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

I don't even use my Copilot GPS anymore. I went with a Serial Garmin GPS35 and hacked it to work with copilot 2003. The round USB Copilot GPS's are really quite bad. They take a long time to lock and the antenna isn't sensitive enough.

Spend a bit of cash and get a Garmin GPS35 or a 16 and it will be worth it in the long run. The difference between the 2 units will astound you.
      A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
      http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Originally posted by cproaudio
        My Copilot USB GPS receiver is for Copilot only. I have a Garmin GPS16 serial receiver for everything else like Street Atlas, Mappoint, Streets&Trips, MediaCar. I just tried the Copilot receiver with Street Atlas and it worked. You have to change MediaCar's port setting to match the COpilot's GPS receiver. you can see the port setting in device manager under Ports (COM&LPT) Cypress USB-HID-> (COM#)
        for some reason i don't see the cypress usb-hid port under my com & lpt ports...

i'd get a garmin, but i'm broke right now
        Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

What ports do you have under (COM&LPT)? One of those gotta be for your Copilot USB receiver. I changed the MediaCar's GPS port setting to my Copilot port and it works so I know it's possible to use Copilot receiver with other GPS software.
          If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

all i have is com1, com2, and lpt1

when i run the portcfg utility on disc 1 of the cp2003 cd's, it scans, and finds nothing

I sent an email to alk, but haven't heard back from them yet

Comment

how did you hack your gps to work with copilot 2003? I have the earthmate and am trying to find a hack to have it work with copilot 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by [H]Bugster
                how did you hack your gps to work with copilot 2003? I have the earthmate and am trying to find a hack to have it work with copilot 2003.

You have to have Configurable sentance output. I don't have the exact combination of sentances you need on me, but I'll look it up as soon as I get home.

Comment

CelicaRuss, do you even have Copilot software installed? I think you need the Copilot software installed in order to configure the Copilot GPS receiver initinally. Once its configured, it should show up as Cypress USB HID (COM #) Then you can go in and change the port setting and map MediaCar to that port for the GPS receiver to work.

Comment

sweet! thanks Fluffy!

Comment

cpro... it's installed... i even brought up my receiver to my desk at work to test it out and still no go
                      no cybress usb hid com#, just the copilot gps receiver that shows up under usb devices

Comment

Is your GPS receiver a true USB? or a serial but with a USB adapter? Mine's serial but with a USB adapter. The receiver has a mini DIN plug. The receiver's mini DIN plug is interchangeable with serial cable or an USB cable. Mine came with the USB cable. The USB cable has a 1 cubic inch black box on the box that does the serial to USB conversion. That's why after I installed the Copilot software and configured the CP receiver I got the "Cypress USB HID (COM 7)" in my device manager. I can goto the advance propority setting and change the COM port number.

Comment

hrm... i believe it is a true usb

I do have a copy of copilot 2000 that has a serial receiver that I have not used, maybe i should just add a 2nd receiver...

my cable is just a simple usb cable that is the same kind of cable that goes to a usb hub, so i guess i might be SOL unless alk/travroute gives me a workaround

Comment

To hack your GPS into working with copilot you need to enable the following sentances, and ONLY the following sentences
                            GGA
                            GSV
                            GPRMC

That should trick copilot into believing that you have a copilot GPS installed. I've had great sucess, but it's not flawless. Sometimes after 2-3 hours it will figure out that it's the wrong GPS. Restart copilot and you're good to go for another 2-3 hours.

Also, It will constantly report "Searching for satilites." on the top screen while in passenger mode, and the detour button won't work.

MODS
                            Do you think this info is worth a sticky? Seems to be a common question.

Comment

from where and how do i modify the "sentences"?

Comment

Working...
                              X