Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep USB Powered to keep GPS alive

Has anyone else tried this?

I plan on taking my USB cable and splitting it open, and runing the +5v and ground leads to an external regulator, in the hopes that it will keep my NAVMAN locked on position, sometimes it takes 3-4 minutes for the thing to get a lock on my location! and in my eyes, that is not acceptable.

I will let you all know if it works.
    My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
    Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Why donīt use a USB HUB with independent power suply?????, would that not work??
    M10000,256 DDR,80 Gb, PCI TV/Radio, D-Link Radio, PCI Audigy 2, Opus 150W, BU-301, Bluetooth, Wifi, Lilliput 7" Touch, Ifree RF Keyborad, USB 2.0 HUB, 2 Amps 600w 4 ch - 620w 2 ch, 6*9" 4-way(rear), 12" Alpine (Sub), 4" 3 way(front), center missing.

Comment

That might work, but the only problem is that my goal is for the GPS to stay alive without having the power inverter on. (so my car battery doesn't drain) and I think external hubs are all 120v powered.
      Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

usb hubs usually have a "pregnant plug" that converts to DC ... just find one that takes 12v in (or something you can convert to easily)
        My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

My USB hub takes 5v in from a wall wart. It also runs unpowered. I think it's a belkin.
          A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
          http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

In case anyone was waiting for my results:

Well, I successfully accomplished my goal. I simply used a 12v to 5v Voltage regulator from Radio Shack, and cut and spliced into the voltage lines running into the gps unit itself.

Now even when the computer is off, the GPS unit stays on, and keeps it's Satellite Fix, so that way when I power up the computer again, my position is immediately displayed in MediaCar, rather than having to wait 5+ minutes for a fix to be established.

Comment

Great job man.
              A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
              http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Good job man, I'm going to have to try that when I get my GPS
                New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

oh yeah,, try this at your own risk .

Comment

Originally posted by MeanGT
                    I simply used a 12v to 5v Voltage regulator from Radio Shack, and cut and spliced into the voltage lines running into the gps unit itself. Now even when the computer is off, the GPS unit stays on, and keeps it's Satellite Fix, so that way when I power up the computer again, my position is immediately displayed in MediaCar, rather than having to wait 5+ minutes for a fix to be established
                    That was a great idea. Is your GPS unit usb powered and is there a 5vdc connector right on the GPS unit itself?
                    Opus case. MB 899 core duo 2.0ghz
                    Dual vga out, 400 gb hard drive, Centrefuse front end
                    zapco 1000.4 for zapco 6.5 componets
                    zapco 1100.1 for 2 13" W6.

Comment

you got a heatsink on that regulator? they can disipate a lot of heat, and it they get too hot they blow, and instead of killing power to your GPS it'll simply pass all 12v to it and fry the GPS too

Originally posted by MeanGT
                      In case anyone was waiting for my results:

Well, I successfully accomplished my goal. I simply used a 12v to 5v Voltage regulator from Radio Shack, and cut and spliced into the voltage lines running into the gps unit itself.

Now even when the computer is off, the GPS unit stays on, and keeps it's Satellite Fix, so that way when I power up the computer again, my position is immediately displayed in MediaCar, rather than having to wait 5+ minutes for a fix to be established.
                      My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

you got a heatsink on that regulator? they can disipate a lot of heat, and it they get too hot they blow, and instead of killing power to your GPS it'll simply pass all 12v to it and fry the GPS too

And set everything on fire...Dont scare him

GPS unit dont take alot of current, they draw maybe 25-50mA so not much heat is generated.

Comment

Originally posted by shakes

Heatsink? Whats a heatsink? I coated it with gunpowder and gasoline in order to disipate the heat! .. Yeah, of course it has a heatsink hehe. Thanks for the concern though

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327

And set everything on fire...Dont scare him

GPS unit dont take alot of current, they draw maybe 25-50mA so not much heat is generated.

It draws 120-135 milliamps depending on what its doing, and the heatsink barely gets warm at that level.

Comment

Wow your one eats alot. Well my mistake as mine eat 65mA.

Comment

Working...
                              X