where is a good place to mount????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where is a good place to mount????

hello guys , happy turkey day!!!!!!my question is where is a good place to mount my earthmate and copilot recievers.can they be put under my dash???

The best place to mount a GPS is on the roof of your car.

The second best place is on top of the dash.

The third best place is the rear window.

GPS does not have a very robust signal. If you put the recever under your dash you'll nevr be able to lock onto any satilites.

You should make sure your GPS units are weatherproof before mounting outside your passenger compartment.
    A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy2097
      GPS does not have a very robust signal. If you put the recever under your dash you'll nevr be able to lock onto any satilites.
      Well mine is under my dash (granted it's plastic ) and I pick up 7 satellites

Garry
      Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
      www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
        Well mine is under my dash (granted it's plastic ) and I pick up 7 satellites

Garry
        And mines under a piece of plastic under the rear window and works fine..
        Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

some of them. especially the cheaper ones recommend a sky view

Comment

Originally posted by swzine
            some of them. especially the cheaper ones recommend a sky view
            All GPS receivers require a sky view - they work only line-of-sight to the satellites.

Comment

The metal of the car roof, or if you have a metal dashboard, will block the signal.

Since the satellites it will be tracking may be on the horizon, it is better to have the antenna up where it can "see" the horizon. The deeper you bury it in the dash, the less satellites it will receive...and the less accurate your system will be.

I say try it a couple of places, take some readings.

Mine are on the dash with a view of the horizon and mostly the roof not blocking.

The one mounted farther from the roof overhang gets 12 satellites...the other usually gets 8 to 10.
              current projects

Comment

Also, none of my GPSes will work in the front dash of my SVX. It has a titanium coated windshield. So if you have metallic coating in your windows, you are in trouble.

Apart from that, mount it anywhere.
                - Lwin M. Maung
                If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

what about having it upside down? would that make a difference?
                  Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
                  Mods: Yep
                  Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Probably not. Try it.
                    A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
                    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Originally posted by 00CericaRuss
                      what about having it upside down? would that make a difference?
                      Nope

Remember, GPS reciever is nothing more than an antenna. If it can recieve a signal, it'll be fine.

I have a buddy who have a bluetooth GPS and that thing will work in the glove compartment of his A4.
                      - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

i've had it upside down for about 6mo or so, but the signal kinda sucks... wasn't sure if i wanted to add velcro to the other side or not
                        Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

00CericaRuss: Which GPS recivar do you have?

Have you guys heard of: Holux GPS Receiver, GM-210 GPS ???

http://www.holux.com.tw/Temp%20web/GM-210.html

I am going to buy GPS in the next week and wanna know if some one have truyed this one?
                          Project done in: [####################] - 85%
                          - Custom center console
                          - Custom trunk
                          Se my project here

Comment

I have seen it on ebay a lot of times before. Should be ok. I use the new Delorme USB Earthmate though
                            - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

i've got a copilot usb receiver...doesn't lock in my office...
                              i also have a copilot serial receiver, which does get lock in my office, and locks within seconds, but whenever i boot up with it, the OS thinks that it's a mouse and the cursor goes nuts all over the screen so i'm not using it at the moment

Comment

Working...
                              X