Not getting lock?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not getting lock?

I've got a Deluo serial GPS, and use MapPoint 2004 with AGPS. I'm having real problems with the GPS getting lock on sattelites. It's definatly disconnected far more than it's connected, and makes it very hard to depend on for getting anywhere. I have it mounted on the rear board under my rear window. It has a clear view of the sky, as the window it tilted in a hatchback style. I modded the power so that it run's off of the car's 12v via a 5v regulator (so that it is on even when the computer is not), but I don't see how that could be a problem. Any suggestions?
    New system under construction

If your rear window had the defogging grid, it may be stopping the signal similar to a Faraday Cage. I mounted my newly gotten device on the front dash where there is no grid on the window.
    2006 Chevy Colorado: VIA M10000 EDEN, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB 2.5" Seagate HDD, USB Slim Slot DVD/RW, Holux GPS, MobileVU 10.4" LCD (touch not working yet), VOOMPC Case (blue), 70W DC-DC supply.

Comment

Welcome to the Club Jackso!

Faraday Cage huh? Sounds like you know a thing or two about electromagnetic theory, hmm? Glad to have yet another tech-level geek on board!
      The ALEXIS Project
      MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
      Color Coding :
      DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

either that or he watched the screensavers last week
        '98 Explorer Sport
        http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
        AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
        80% done

Comment

Originally posted by Jackso
          If your rear window had the defogging grid, it may be stopping the signal similar to a Faraday Cage. I mounted my newly gotten device on the front dash where there is no grid on the window.
          Also, depending on your car, the clear view of the sky may not be as good as intended. Along with the Faraday Cage problem, if your rear windshield is ultra-violet (UV) coated, then the GPS will have problems getting the signal.

I have the Deluo GPS unit also, and it has a magnet built into the bottom. Just for trouble-shooting sake, pop that bad boy on the roof of your car and drive around. It'll stay there nicely as long as you don't pull any Dukes of Hazard maneuvers. Trying it that way will tell you if it's your rear windshield or not.

Another thing that I noticed was that until I sat in my driveway for a couple minutes - sitting still so the GPS could sync up and do it's initial lock, the GPS wouldn't lock on very well. I guess it needs to do this once to find itself, then it's OK. It only takes a few minutes, so resist the urge to pop it in the car and immediately drive around town - like I did. Then I read the directions, and figured out what my problem was. Now it works like a charm.
          So far:
          M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Or spend the money and get a high quality GPS receiver.
            current projects

Comment

Originally posted by deadweasel
              Welcome to the Club Jackso!

Faraday Cage huh? Sounds like you know a thing or two about electromagnetic theory, hmm? Glad to have yet another tech-level geek on board!
              Well thank you for the welcome. I was feeling inspired the other night. I'm actually a Computer Engineering student, but I switched from Elecrical Engineering. I all but have an associates in Electronics (need to transfer back the core classes, already have all the tech credits) from the local community college from when I was in High School. I know a little about electromagnetic theories, Gauss Law all that jazz, but I actually failed my Fields class. Oh well, it was an elective anywho. But I am the engineer for 6 local radio stations, so I have LOTS of hands on experience with real fields, none of the theory crap for me.
              2006 Chevy Colorado: VIA M10000 EDEN, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB 2.5" Seagate HDD, USB Slim Slot DVD/RW, Holux GPS, MobileVU 10.4" LCD (touch not working yet), VOOMPC Case (blue), 70W DC-DC supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackso
                Well thank you for the welcome...
                ...none of the theory crap for me.

Point taken! Nothing like experience to get knowledge hammered home! I have a couple of electronics classes from high school under my belt, but I don't remember half of what I learned actually working as an electrician about seven years ago!
                The ALEXIS Project
                MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
                Color Coding :
                DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeCummins
                  Or spend the money and get a high quality GPS receiver.
                  What do you mean? The Deluo works well and is acurate.
                  So far:
                  M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Turns out it was definatly the defroster on the rear window that was messing it up. I put it up under the windsheild and it works perfect. Very acurate too, I can even notice it on the GPS display when I change lanes. Thanks for the help everyone.

BTW: Doesn't the Faraday Cage effect only work when the cage is grounded? I disconnected the wires to the defroster and it had no effect.
                    New system under construction

Comment

It should only effect it when the cage is grounded, but your defroster grid may be seperated by a fraction of the wavelength of the frequency that the GPS uses. I'm new to the GPS thing so I don't know what freq that is. In any event, if that were the case, the defroster grid would be acting as if it were an antenna and you can get a standing wave on it even without any connections. That would cause enough signal chage to lose data. Or, another possibility is that the wires connecting the grid may not be the only ground. Remember that the whole car is a ground, so if the grid intersects metal anywhere, it is grounded.

Comment

Working...
                      X