Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best GPS software for the UK?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whats the best GPS software for the UK?

    I am about to buy a USB GPS dongle for my carputer running Windows XP.

    Can anyone recommend a some good software to use, that has voice, and a good map.

    I have downloaded Memory Map from E-mule, but i doesnt seem very good.
    (I will definatly buy a full version if it works well, but i wanted to try it first before i spent >100 on something that would be no use to me)

    I am also currently downloading Infomap Navigator to try that aswell...

    Thanks in advance

    Daz

  • #2
    OK, don't discuss pirated software on the boards. But what any of us choose to do in our own cars/homes is our own business

    I'm using Mappoint 2002 with the AGPS addon.
    Mappoint doesn't do voice or directions, but for a few $ (paid by paypal for a serial key delivered by email to unlock it) you get the lot, and works quite well. Really needs a VGA screen to get the best of it though.
    4x4 in a turbo stylee.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Skraggy_uk
      OK, don't discuss pirated software on the boards. But what any of us choose to do in our own cars/homes is our own business

      I'm using Mappoint 2002 with the AGPS addon.
      Mappoint doesn't do voice or directions, but for a few $ (paid by paypal for a serial key delivered by email to unlock it) you get the lot, and works quite well. Really needs a VGA screen to get the best of it though.
      Is it accurate? I've used Infomap and Destinator 2 (have both!) and they've put me off using the Carputer to be honest.. heh. They ain't as good as, say, a VDO Dayton unit.

      Destinator2 ain't bad.. but the update time on it, is pretty bad on corners. It'll sit there for a while. Another annoying thing it does is, just shout out "YARDS!" for no reason.
      I thought it was because I was using an NMEA receiver, so I got a SiRF binary one.. and it's exactly the same, so I dunno..

      Comment


      • #4
        OK. 2002 wasn't bad. I'm looking to get 2004 installed once I get my screen installed. Accuracy was within a few yard/metres. Unfortunatley on a motorway (crossing under a bridge for example) that could mean it thinks you are down a country lane near the motorway and sends you off all over the place on the map to get back to the motorway. Not a real problem but a little annoying. If you are actually on the country lanes though it was ****hot. I've installed the company copy of 2004 on my PC at work, and the postcode DB is much better. Places that didn't exist before (like Wrexham industrial estate, and the Angelsey Motorsport track) are now fully listed under name and postcode. And the map details look cleaner too,
        4x4 in a turbo stylee.

        Comment


        • #5
          I use Route 66 2003 at the moment, it's Ok, a few times the road and map don't seem to agree, and it has no voice. looking to get 2004 version. also have autoroute 2002, but haven't tried it in the car yet. lookming to test out destinator and infomap, but haven't got round to obtaining them yet.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Enforcer
            I use Route 66 2003 at the moment, it's Ok, a few times the road and map don't seem to agree, and it has no voice. looking to get 2004 version. also have autoroute 2002, but haven't tried it in the car yet. lookming to test out destinator and infomap, but haven't got round to obtaining them yet.
            infomap sucks hard, it works but thats it, Copilot is the best software for the Ipaq but dont know if you can get it over here yet for the PC

            Infomap makes me laugh, it randomly chooses which roundabout it will give you directions on, it only knows 3 saying's, either left right or sor straight on lol and it tells you to come off at a junction on the motorway as your passing it

            Classic
            www.fsplanes.net NEW site

            AMD XP 1800+ / 256mb ram ddr / 2 x 60gig hdd / Asus mobo micro ATX / GF-FX5200 / BU 303 GPS reciever / dlink usb radio


            Software:
            Window's XP SP1 / USB Radio / Destinator v2 / Mediacar / 3000 mp3's / 30 movies

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by Sunglassesron
              infomap sucks hard, it works but thats it, Copilot is the best software for the Ipaq but dont know if you can get it over here yet for the PC

              Infomap makes me laugh, it randomly chooses which roundabout it will give you directions on, it only knows 3 saying's, either left right or sor straight on lol and it tells you to come off at a junction on the motorway as your passing it

              Classic
              I've got to ask - Which version? I've sold hundreds of copies of this and it works well. Particularly when you take the price into account AND upgrades to the current version are free for registered licences.
              All of the versions I have used tell which roundabout exit (up to 9) to use. If you are within the shortest voice navigation distance it won't give you a prompt. I have NEVER had it tell me to come off the motorway and back on again. Perhaps you had set the road preferences incorrectly? To be honest it sounds like you had a very early version and didn't learn to use it properly.
              Recently I had to drive to Munich. The directions I had were "the office block opposite the pharmacy on Maxilmillianstrasse". Searched for Max and found Maximillianstrasse. Searched for nearest pharmacy and set that as the destination. It took us non-stop from Venlo to our destination without a problem.
              It has some terrific features as well. My favourite and extensively used is the Find Nearest. Click the icon, click on the map and it will find the nearest one in every single category. You've then got the nearest petrol station, cash point, pub etc and can set that as your navigation destination.
              It's not fault free but every version that comes out brings more features, stability and performance. There are still some annoying features. You have to tell it to start GPS tracking everytime you load the program and the icons are far too small for use on a touchscreen.
              It might not be the best solution out there but voice navigation and street level mapping for the whole of Europe for 50? It has to be the best value.
              I'm so convinced it's a good deal that I'll knock 10 of the price of the Infomap Navigator and Haicom 204E GPS bundle. Just use the voucher B104000101 when buying from the website. www.action-replay.co.uk. Sorry I can't accept this voucher on any other products on the website.

              Comment


              • #9
                can you run pocket pc software on a pc at all? I've seen lots of gps software for those and a lot have integration with speed camera databases etc, which would be nice.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by tekta
                  can you run pocket pc software on a pc at all? I've seen lots of gps software for those and a lot have integration with speed camera databases etc, which would be nice.
                  You cannot because the processors are different.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by Falken
                    I have NEVER had it tell me to come off the motorway and back on again. Perhaps you had set the road preferences incorrectly? To be honest it sounds like you had a very early version and didn't learn to use it properly.
                    Just on this issue.
                    It happened to me recently I'm on 1.3.9. which I believe is the lastest.
                    Looking at my prefernces I have boosted preference for major roads etc. over motorways; maybe that is the reason.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Infomap

                      Hi!
                      I purchased ver. 4 Navigator from Infomap. I used it both under windows and Linux. After I updated to ver. 4.0.7 for Linux, I stick to it: I'm to tired with USB problems (undetected GPS from time to time), problems with Volume levels resuming and BT driver under windows etc...
                      Ok, linux is harder to set up, but when it works, it works.
                      I used Destinator and Navigon. I preferred Navigon (beautiful interface for a "carputer"), but it is discontinuated for windows PC as far as I know. They are PDA oriented now. I did not tried MapSonic yet, I have to admit.
                      Anyway, I made several thousands of KMs with Infomap under LInux, and it is a good software. There's imperfection, but as someone else said, they are working actively at it, and I never had any problem that did mislead me, and it was certainly as good as Navigon and definitely better than destinator. Maps are extremely accurate etc...
                      I just had missatisfaction (can you say that in english?) with the search engine which was to slow on my EPIA M10000 under Linux. But no problem on the P4 laptop I also brought with during last week (Linux as well). I pointed this problem to them anyway. This problem does not take place under window, so I can not exclude I have a problem elsewhere with software under linux. That say, it is the most powerful and flexible search engine. Navigon was lacking such feature.
                      Anyway I don't want to do a review, but this is just to say that I was more than happy with Infomap Navigator, and that finally I can listen to Gig of music, watch DivX in the back of my old VW van and monitor the Volume and the playlist using the BT of my SX1 Phone (kdebluetooth-kbemusedsrv) and talk with my girlfriend while driving without missing an exit!
                      And also for about 80 euros, I have a beautiful green DVD plastic box with 5 CDs on my shelf! That was money well spent!

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        I agree with Sunglassesron that the voice navigation on Navigator V4 is unreliable. I have done extensive drive testing with V4 and find that it continually omits voice advice for random roundabouts. Also I have been routed off and then back on a dual carriageway at the same junction when I wanted to go straight on.

                        It needs speeding up a lot too. Map rendering is really too slow. Easy to see when comparing scrolling speed between Navigator and Autoroute on the same system. This is a big problem on slower PCs like carputers.

                        I do think they're on to a potentially excellent product though. V4's maps are much more colourful and easy to read now they've got direction arrows on one-way roads and street name text is readable at sensible zoom levels. The turn by turn graphics are also much better on V4.
                        The addition of a full-screen mode is encouraging too. I hope they realise the emerging market of carputers and build-in a 7" widescreen 800x480 friendly touchscreen interface option that exposes the majority of the software's functionality.

                        In summary I think the voice navigation is not usable yet but for the price it's a really good solution. I hope they continue to improve it.

                        James

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by jwexqm
                          I agree with Sunglassesron that the voice navigation on Navigator V4 is unreliable. I have done extensive drive testing with V4 and find that it continually omits voice advice for random roundabouts. Also I have been routed off and then back on a dual carriageway at the same junction when I wanted to go straight on.

                          It needs speeding up a lot too. Map rendering is really too slow. Easy to see when comparing scrolling speed between Navigator and Autoroute on the same system. This is a big problem on slower PCs like carputers.

                          I do think they're on to a potentially excellent product though. V4's maps are much more colourful and easy to read now they've got direction arrows on one-way roads and street name text is readable at sensible zoom levels. The turn by turn graphics are also much better on V4.
                          The addition of a full-screen mode is encouraging too. I hope they realise the emerging market of carputers and build-in a 7" widescreen 800x480 friendly touchscreen interface option that exposes the majority of the software's functionality.

                          In summary I think the voice navigation is not usable yet but for the price it's a really good solution. I hope they continue to improve it.

                          James
                          Sunglassron was talking about previous versions. We've tested V4 over 1000's of miles on pcs ranging from a PII 450, AMD Athlon Mobile 1.4 and a Pentium IV 2.6 using laptop screens and Lilliput touchscreens. Everyone who has used it is raving about it. We've seen very few discrepancies between driving directions and roads. Those reported have been on new estates and very new roads. All of our findings are reported back to the authors although we don't bother about road variations, that's the responsibility of Ordnance Survey and Tele-Atlas.
                          I'm a bit surprised you don't get the navigation prompts. One of the major improvements was to give warnings at 2 miles, 1 mile, 500 yards, 100 yards and NOW. Even if the next junction is less than 100 yards away you should still get the NOW warning. Do you get the roundabout shown on the next junction panel? If no, it's the maps that are out of date.
                          The piece of advice I give all my customers is to set the average speeds to match the vehicle they drive. In particular the settings for local and connecting road are far too fast. This might be why yours is exiting a dual carriageway and immediately rejoining.
                          There's a lot of development still to come over the next few months that will make it even better on a carputer. Speed is an issue. Rendering, searches and calculation are all being looked atr.Even so, as it stands there simply isn't a better value voice guided navigation system available.

                          Regards
                          Doug
                          www.action-replay.co.uk

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Hi!
                            On the EPIA, rendering was fast enough, recalculation was good, even when "I was lost". About roundabout (the counter clockwise ones ;-) ) between Basel and Munich (on normal road), I can tell you there's a lot of them, and it did not make any mistake in any of them. On the windows/P4 1600 Mhz and Linux/P4 1600 there's only switzerland maps. On the epia I put the whole 7 gig european maps. I wonder if my search speed concerns is related to that eventhough I applied restriction criteria, of course. I have to test that.
                            Anyway I'm glad to hear improvement is still on the "To do" list. And because I like their "Update" policy, I am more than confident.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X