gps inside engine comp.?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gps inside engine comp.?

is it ok to locate the gps unit inside the engine comp. it is not to hot for it. i want to place it inside the dash comp. i have alot of space there...or inside my glove comp.can anyone help me?
    98.8 complete
    95 chevy blazer s10

If you have a metal bonnet, then there's almost no hope in hell of getting a signal

I have mine in the top part of my dash, next to the vents and the clock

It picks up about 7-9 satellites

However, this may not work if you have any weird tinting or demister elements in the windscreen (i don't)

Garry
    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

If you have a metal bonnet, then there's almost no hope in hell of getting a signal
      'tis a thing someone made called an external antenna.. heck i don't think any is using the stock ones anyway. those are worthless for vehicles.
      Welcome, cdm.
      You last visited: 09-13-2006 at 02:42 AM
      Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Wow.. how things have changed in 4 years. Gone are the days of mcgyver and datalux

Comment

i was thinking of getting the earthmate usb with 2004 from ebay... is like $100 they say is new... are the antenas weather resistan...
        98.8 complete
        95 chevy blazer s10

Comment

I put my mouse gps inside my dash and I get signal from like 8 satellites just fine...
          Aopen i855GMEm-LFS with Dothan 1.8ghz
          512mb DDR333
          Windows XPpro SP2

Comment

Originally posted by kalito
            i was thinking of getting the earthmate usb with 2004 from ebay... is like $100 they say is new... are the antenas weather resistan...
            I don't think the Earthmate is meant to be mounted outside a car, but there are some that are and they have magnetic mounts. You can however mount it somewhere inside with a clear (ie no intervening metal) view of the sky. Like the dash or rear deck.

Comment

An engine compartment is a pretty harsh environment for a gps unit (very hot, and wet when it rains)

Comment

I place my GPS for signal not discreteness... Round where I drive a lot the tree canopy is think enough to kill the signal, let alone a metal hood

err.. does anybody have any GPS antenna reccomendations? I think this is more or less in sync with the topic.
                car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

so ypu guys think is i put it inside my glove comp. it can work or it has to be by a window or something .. i don't want people breaking into my car beacause they see something they can grab and sell...
                  98.8 complete
                  95 chevy blazer s10

Comment

so ypu guys think is i put it inside my glove comp. it can work or it has to be by a window or something .. i don't want people breaking into my car beacause they see something they can grab and sell...
                    I keep mine in the glovebox and it works just fine although I've never seen more than 10 satellites . GPS signals can be picked up through glass, fibreglass, plastics, composites etc without problem. Metal and brick will block the signal though.

Comment

I'd say get one of those GPS mice,(Black and put electrical tape over the led) I was never comfortable leving that yellow POS delome thing in the window for fear of theft...
                      Home Page
                      New '93 R1
                      http://member.newsguy.com/~gfxfctry/...Signiature.jpg

Comment

Hmmm. Well it seems that if you are scared of theft I would be inclined to be more worried about the huge 7" screen sitting in the middle of your dashboard than the little GPS mouse that most theives wouldn't know what it was anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by unsavory
                          Hmmm. Well it seems that if you are scared of theft I would be inclined to be more worried about the huge 7" screen sitting in the middle of your dashboard than the little GPS mouse that most theives wouldn't know what it was anyway.

yup, my car was broken into before. they took a digital camera, a pair of sun glasses and other valuable in the car, but they left the usb delorme gps alone. the gps was left with the other stolen items.

Comment

Screen is going to take a miracle to get out
                            I'm going to bolt and fibreglass it into the dash, and you'd have to dismantle the dash... as all things in theft, it's about time and risk, too much of either and they'll pass...

-RX7
                            Home Page
                            New '93 R1
                            http://member.newsguy.com/~gfxfctry/...Signiature.jpg

Comment

is it ok to locate the gps unit inside the engine comp. it is not to hot for it. i want to place it inside the dash comp. i have alot of space there...or inside my glove comp.can anyone help me?
                              I put my tripmate under the plastic cowl attached with just double face tape.
                              It still works fine after over two years there.
                              Just be sure to pick a spot that clears the wiper linkage.

Comment

Working...
                              X