Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which GPS to buy to use with my laptop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which GPS to buy to use with my laptop?

    I just plan on using this with my laptop sitting in the passenger's seat, nothing fancy. I need a GPS reciever and software. I'd like to see good street level detail as well as get directions, spoken if possible (not absolutely necssary).

    The laptop is an 850mhz Dell with serial and USB ports. I also have built-in Bluetooth, and I'd like to use that if it's not prohibitivly expensive.

    Ideal solution: Directions, street level detail (names, option for addresses, etc), connected via Bluetooth, has the option to run on rechargeable batteries, or via some kind of power cable (mouse port, cig lighter, 5V DC from power supply, or even AC power)

    Also, my maximum budget for software and hardware is about $180

    Some ideas, any opinions on either of these?
    http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...518&pfp=BROWSE
    http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...436&pfp=BROWSE
    Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
    Completion: [*********-] 90%
    Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
    LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

    - 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
    - 128MB RAM
    - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
    - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
    - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
    - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

    http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

  • #2
    I really would recomend a Deluo setup. I have the GPS unit from them and the new Routis 2k4. It is very good for that usage. It also speaks to you. It has a decent POI but double-time makes up for it in the nav functionality that it may be lacking.

    Call 1-800-MY-DELUO and ask for Paul from sales. Paul will answer any questions you have and is very willing to work with you on how the setup works. He spent a lot of time with me without rushing me or anything.

    Call him and tell him Mike H. with the Red-Rx7 sent you. Let me know how it goes!
    1995 Mazda RX-7
    Custom 20B Conversion

    Comment


    • #3
      About how much is a Deluo setup?
      Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
      Completion: [*********-] 90%
      Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
      LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

      - 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
      - 128MB RAM
      - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
      - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
      - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
      - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

      http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

      Comment


      • #4
        How about navigator from www.directions.ltd.uk
        and a Road Angel from PCmediastore.com

        gives great mapping with voice instructions and alerts to speed cameras

        David

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bombboyer
          I just plan on using this with my laptop sitting in the passenger's seat, nothing fancy. I need a GPS reciever and software. I'd like to see good street level detail as well as get directions, spoken if possible (not absolutely necssary).

          The laptop is an 850mhz Dell with serial and USB ports.
          Copilot live 7

          -Jason

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by psyclobe
            Copilot live 7

            -Jason
            At $399, thats out of my price range. Any other recommendations?
            Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
            Completion: [*********-] 90%
            Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
            LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

            - 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
            - 128MB RAM
            - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
            - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
            - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
            - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

            http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

            Comment


            • #7
              Did you call Paul?
              1995 Mazda RX-7
              Custom 20B Conversion

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Red-Rx7
                Did you call Paul?
                I'm not quite ready to give Deluo a call before I've done some more research.
                Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
                Completion: [*********-] 90%
                Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
                LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

                - 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
                - 128MB RAM
                - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
                - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
                - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
                - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

                http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by david brown
                  How about navigator from www.directions.ltd.uk
                  and a Road Angel from PCmediastore.com

                  gives great mapping with voice instructions and alerts to speed cameras

                  David
                  Navigator doesn't have the mapping for USA...yet. As soon as it does we'll let you know.

                  www.action-replay.co.uk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm been using a Delorme GPS and their Street Atlas software for almost 5 years now. all in all, I cant complain one bit about em. dont buy them from compusa.com though. you can get BOTH the software and the GPS unit off ebay for less than $120 including shipping.

                    A Note about the software versions: the last 3 versions have all undergone major changes. 8.0 utilized the classic streetatlas interface and maps that all the ones before it had used. 2003 was basicly a complete rewrite of the program; had a brand new user interface (which I like), and the maps changed a bit. I personally liked 2003, but there were alot of people that complained about it. I dont have 2004, but from people i've talked to, It kept the interface from 2003, and added the old map design from 8.0 back in.

                    If you get 2004, and cant stand the software, I can prolly dig up my old cd's for ya =)
                    2000 Jeep Cherokee
                    -CarPC: [_____]50% complete
                    -planning done, still need a few parts
                    -In-dash motorized VGA is finally out, need $$$
                    -Need to replace factory HU

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by david brown
                      How about navigator from www.directions.ltd.uk
                      and a Road Angel from PCmediastore.com

                      gives great mapping with voice instructions and alerts to speed cameras

                      David
                      Hi, David

                      I am thinking on this software, the version with European maps!
                      Have seen the screenshots, it looks good.
                      I have an in-car pc with touch-screen so I am dependent on on screen keyboard, does InfoMap Navigator come with onscreen keyboard or do you have to use a 'normal keyboard for address input?

                      /L-O

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i've heard very good things about iGuidance (same back end as routis) and that's what i'll be using. whole package is under $200

                        it seems destinator is also great but $300+

                        a guy i used to work with had the earthmate setup and ended up twice on two different trips being led down dirt roads (once a logging trail) which the software reported were paved ... course he does like to stay away from interstates ... so maybe that's his problem.
                        My JeepPC Install

                        "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

                        "it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by loscooby
                          I am thinking on this software, the version with European maps!
                          Have seen the screenshots, it looks good.
                          I have an in-car pc with touch-screen so I am dependent on on screen keyboard, does InfoMap Navigator come with onscreen keyboard or do you have to use a 'normal keyboard for address input?

                          /L-O
                          I sell Navigator so I can probably answer most of your questions. It doesn't have an onscreen keyboard so you'd need to use a 3rd party one. A nice feature of the latest version of Navigator (1.3.9) is the intelligent fill if you use the post code search. For instance as you type in Albert Square it gives you the first matching name. A gives AB Row, AL gives Ala Las, ALB Alba Close and so on. As soon as you've typed enough click enter and it'll give you all of the postcodes that match (40 in this case).
                          Incidentally if anyone has an earlier version they can download the latest from our website www.action-replay.co.uk/drivers.
                          We're still offering a discount for MP3Car members just use voucher B104000101 when checking out.

                          Regards
                          Doug

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Falken
                            I sell Navigator so I can probably answer most of your questions. It doesn't have an onscreen keyboard so you'd need to use a 3rd party one. A nice feature of the latest version of Navigator (1.3.9) is the intelligent fill if you use the post code search. For instance as you type in Albert Square it gives you the first matching name. A gives AB Row, AL gives Ala Las, ALB Alba Close and so on. As soon as you've typed enough click enter and it'll give you all of the postcodes that match (40 in this case).
                            Incidentally if anyone has an earlier version they can download the latest from our website www.action-replay.co.uk/drivers.
                            We're still offering a discount for MP3Car members just use voucher B104000101 when checking out.

                            Regards
                            Doug

                            Thanks !

                            Do you or anybody else know of a good 3rd party on-screen keyboard?
                            I like the screen-shots of the Infomap navigator and the price:-D
                            @Falken
                            How about updates when it comes to the maps, do you offer any subscription or do you post yearly updates on the website?

                            /L-O

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by loscooby
                              Thanks !

                              Do you or anybody else know of a good 3rd party on-screen keyboard?
                              I like the screen-shots of the Infomap navigator and the price:-D
                              @Falken
                              How about updates when it comes to the maps, do you offer any subscription or do you post yearly updates on the website?

                              /L-O
                              I've used Clivk-n-type from Lake Software which I think I saw recommended here as well.
                              Sorry, but like most Sat Nav systems you need to buy new maps periodically. Mind you given this governments record on road building it will be a LONG time before you need a new map!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X