Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb GPS/Media project ideas

Hello, great forum.

I have a 2000 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer with a pretty nice SQ system in it. I really want GPS and find it absurd that manufacturer like Kenwood want $1500 for the GPS unit and thats not including a screen.

Im looking for the best yet easiet however reliable GPS and Media server.
    I have 2 possible avenues that I could take and need to know the viability and resonability of them. Also would like thoughts on cost.

1) Laptop based 1Ghz P3 with 40gig, add touch screen...aux in to either Kenwood HU or Arc Audio in dash EQ
    2) Carputer based system. Have AMD Athlon 1700+ (1.4Ghz??) system that I could raid, tweek, upgrade. Has DVD, CDROM, GFORCE...add touch screen...yada yada

I am a wholesale mortgage rep and a road warrior. Often get lost in the Bay Area and it really ticks me off.

Any thoughts. I am good with puters as I built the Athlon system myself. Willing to look at linux even tho I have never used it before. Can someone break this down for me soup to nuts? I have no clue as to whats involved. Searched and searched the site but never found what i was looking for.

Thanks!
    Strong car audio passion + PC skilz = CARPC. Now disabled, much time on my hands, lets merge my hobbies into a CARPC! Bear with me!
    Planning:
    [||||------] 40%
    Parts Aquisition:
    [||||------] 40%
    Install:
    [----------] 0%
    Car Audio:
    [|||||||||-] 90%

Originally posted by Bilbo99
    Hello, great forum.

I have a 2000 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer with a pretty nice SQ system in it. I really want GPS and find it absurd that manufacturer like Kenwood want $1500 for the GPS unit and thats not including a screen.

Im looking for the best yet easiet however reliable GPS and Media server.
    I have 2 possible avenues that I could take and need to know the viability and resonability of them. Also would like thoughts on cost.

1) Laptop based 1Ghz P3 with 40gig, add touch screen...aux in to either Kenwood HU or Arc Audio in dash EQ
    2) Carputer based system. Have AMD Athlon 1700+ (1.4Ghz??) system that I could raid, tweek, upgrade. Has DVD, CDROM, GFORCE...add touch screen...yada yada

I am a wholesale mortgage rep and a road warrior. Often get lost in the Bay Area and it really ticks me off.

Any thoughts. I am good with puters as I built the Athlon system myself. Willing to look at linux even tho I have never used it before. Can someone break this down for me soup to nuts? I have no clue as to whats involved. Searched and searched the site but never found what i was looking for.

Thanks!
    1. Interfacing with a laptop will be a knighmare - not to mention lack of usb 2.0 possibly?? graphics etc

2. Athlons use about 60 - 80 w JUST THE CPU - and product alot of heat, not really good for automotive use.

Go down the itx mobo route with via epia m motherboard - 1ghz onboard cpu, audio, usb 2, firewire - will be much better to use in the car and the cpu uses about 8w of power.

Regards

john

Comment

Thanks Jon. Thats what I wanted....direction.

Do you have any links to system schematics or diagrams. Pics would be breat too!

thanks again.
      Strong car audio passion + PC skilz = CARPC. Now disabled, much time on my hands, lets merge my hobbies into a CARPC! Bear with me!
      Planning:
      [||||------] 40%
      Parts Aquisition:
      [||||------] 40%
      Install:
      [----------] 0%
      Car Audio:
      [|||||||||-] 90%

Comment

Working...
      X