Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an eval version of Routis 2004 or Destinator 3 for USA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an eval version of Routis 2004 or Destinator 3 for USA?

I started putting together a carputer several months ago to play my MP3's and recently got it up and running thanks to the discovery of this site.
    I made the mistake of upgrading my old Street Atlas from years ago to v. 2004 as it does not serve my needs at all.
    Many appear to be happy with Routis and Destinator on this board and I am wondering if there is an eval. version running around anywhere that I can see if I like it before I spend another $100. I already tried the P2P without any luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

Originally posted by relay700
    I started putting together a carputer several months ago to play my MP3's and recently got it up and running thanks to the discovery of this site.
    I made the mistake of upgrading my old Street Atlas from years ago to v. 2004 as it does not serve my needs at all.
    Many appear to be happy with Routis and Destinator on this board and I am wondering if there is an eval. version running around anywhere that I can see if I like it before I spend another $100. I already tried the P2P without any luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any ideas.

Thanks!
    ditto - I was contemlating moving from MapPoint / Destinator but don't want to keep laying out cash if I'm not going to be satisfied.

Comment

If not a trail version, then maybe a non-functional demo version? I would be interested in getting a feel for it, or maybe some extensive screenshots!
      [ 5-spd 1996 M A X i M A SE ]

Comment

Screen shots of iGuidance (Routis) are here
        MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
          Screen shots of iGuidance (Routis) are here
          Questions about that screen shots.
          How is the current location indicated on the 3D maps?
          Also, can you adjust that area to be displayed? (zoom in and out)

Thanks

Comment

Ok Ok Im going to ask it...
            Hopefully I wont be kicked from the board becuase I do love it here.

But who can hook me up with this software?
            Ive looked for iton the net for download just like every one else, but came up short... Its not that I dont think its stealing but screen shots arent enough for me to pry open my already too thin college wallet. I made the mistake of buying Streets and trips 2004 without demo.... Not a big fan. But back on topic. Please let me know (email only please [email protected]) if you can get / upload / send me a copy... Ill make it worth your time.

Sorry it had to come to this.

Comment

Ryuand...
              How is the current location indicated on the 3D maps?
              Same as in 2-D. There is a small circle with an arrow inside that indicates your position. The arrow is green when the system is locked (on the satellites), and red if not-locked. You can select either "North-up" (map oriented with North at top), or "current-direction up" (your direction of travel dictates map orientation). 3-D is very cool looking, but I find myself using 2-D because, in 2-D you can select a destination by locating it on a map and tap-and-hold to select. This is disabled in 3-D.

Also, can you adjust that area to be displayed? (zoom in and out)
              Yes, you have full zoom capability in 3-D.

This is a great program. It is well designed, and works very well while driving. I'm a big fan.
              MikeH

Comment

It would also be nice if I could see if my Earthmate works with Routis before I buy it. Some say it does, most say it doesn't. It looks like it should but a trial version would tell me that for sure. If I buy and it doesn't work then I would have to buy a new gps, and on and on......

Comment

MikeH: Thanks for the reply! Those pics help a lot. It certainly does look a lot better suited to a 7" touch screen that Street Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by relay700
                    MikeH: Thanks for the reply! Those pics help a lot. It certainly does look a lot better suited to a 7" touch screen that Street Atlas.
                    Yeah, that helps a lot.
                    I like the look of Destinator too, but I don't think street names are not displayed on 3D view so I like Routis better

Now, if I can get my hands on some kind of demo version...

Comment

I have asked iGuidance for permission to post their 30-day trial version. I'll let you know what they say (may be a while, they're on WestCoastTime).
                      MikeH

Comment

Yes, you have full zoom capability in 3-D.
                        Mike, can you easily zoom out to see mor of the route then let it auto-zoom back? With Destinator 2 I gound it frustrating, especially on a small IPaq screen, that the zoomed route was sometime too tight to see further ahead, as fast as you zoomed out it would auto-zoom back in. Auto-zoom could be disabled but then everything is manual and it is a pain.

Also, in Destinator, I don't seem to be able to pan. I quite often like to review the route it has chosen, I can zoom out but it doesn't like changing location and letting me pan the map or view other areas, as I think about this I guess I should switch to the other mode (non-Car?) and that may help.

Chris.

Comment

I have asked iGuidance for permission to post their 30-day trial version. I'll let you know what they say (may be a while, they're on WestCoastTime).

they have a 30-day trial version? How did you get your hands on it? Instead of posting it, maybe we can go to the source!

btw, thanks for tryin! hopefully you can

so iguidance and routis is the same?

Comment

Nadir
                            they have a 30-day trial version? How did you get your hands on it? Instead of posting it, maybe we can go to the source!
                            The trial version came with my GPS receiver (Rayming TripNav-200). I was impressed and bought the commercial version (about $100).

Here's the response (so far) from iNav when I asked if I could post the trial software....
                            I think we have since then deactivated the access to our server by trial version users. So although the software itself may be fine, but users won't be able to access our server to activate the program. The reason we no longer offer that is because we found out the activation module didn't work properly. And our programmers are so busy working on the production of European version right now that they haven't had the time to debug the trial version yet.
                            I have asked them how they intend to support people who are just now buying GPS receivers with their trial software inside. As of yet, no answer.
                            so iguidance and routis is the same?
                            I have been told that they are. I've not personally seen Routis.
                            MikeH

Comment

Nadir

The trial version came with my GPS receiver (Rayming TripNav-200). I was impressed and bought the commercial version (about $100).

Here's the response (so far) from iNav when I asked if I could post the trial software....

I have asked them how they intend to support people who are just now buying GPS receivers with their trial software inside. As of yet, no answer.

I have been told that they are. I've not personally seen Routis.
                              so the trial version is completely junk without activation? no chance to get look/feel of the software?

Comment

Working...
                              X