Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self-build GPS Receiver =>

Hi all,

As I have the knowladge in electronics, more than 150$ to buy a gps receiver,

Id like to ask, can I build a gps receiver myself and connect it to PC ?

please link me,

Thanks,
    Avner Richard
    צילום מוצרים, צילום תכשיטים וצילום תדמית

Originally posted by Avner
    Hi all,

As I have the knowladge in electronics, more than 150$ to buy a gps receiver,

Id like to ask, can I build a gps receiver myself and connect it to PC ?

please link me,

Thanks,
    Avner Richard

Here's one place I've found oem sensors.

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/41...sensorgps.html
    Sometimes, always, never ....

Comment

Originally posted by Harry5150
      Here's one place I've found oem sensors.

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/41...sensorgps.html
      it is still 180$ ((

I meant really build it

Comment

Are you looking for the circuit diagram and build everything yourself? down to component level? Sorry but I dont think you will suceed. And how about the firmware? where you gonna get the parts? how you gonna calibrate?

The best thing you can do is buy the GPS module, the antenna and stick a few wires in. The cost of it all will cost you the same to buy a complete combo unit.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps15h/

Age 14?

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
          Are you looking for the circuit diagram and build everything yourself? down to component level? Sorry but I dont think you will suceed. And how about the firmware? where you gonna get the parts? how you gonna calibrate?

The best thing you can do is buy the GPS module, the antenna and stick a few wires in. The cost of it all will cost you the same to buy a complete combo unit.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps15h/

Age 14?

yes, this is what IOm looking for....
          I can get the components without problem...

yes, 14

Comment

http://www.holux-uk.com/Embedded/index.htm

The above sell parts for GPS devices. The above link is for embedded applications. I have a GM-210TP - it came as part of a 'Road Angel' device and it works reasonably well.
            Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
            Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

No..hes not looking for a module. He want to build it from scratch down to component level.

Hes kidding

Comment

I've read on other post of discounted GPS receivers from radioshack in the US for $30 - maybe the easiest way could be to keep searching the net for any offers on GPS receivers, even if it takes a few months to find something cheap it might be quicker than sourcing all the components for a decent price - my bet is that even if you can buy the actual parts, it will only be cheaper than buying a pre-built unit unless you're buying large quantities of components
                Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

heh,

I've decided to buy the GM-210-USB.....

next month Ill be in France, so Ill buy it for approx 120EUR...

Comment

you can't build industial grade micro electronics in your home garage. no buts and ifs.
                    Welcome, cdm.
                    You last visited: 09-13-2006 at 02:42 AM
                    Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Wow.. how things have changed in 4 years. Gone are the days of mcgyver and datalux

Comment

you can't build industial grade micro electronics in your home garage. no buts and ifs.

Exactly...

Mind you I once planned to build a jet engine for a model plane at home...but then I was only 9 years old

Comment

if you still want to build your own jet engine, google 'pulse jet' for some projects...like this one: http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/
                        MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
                        Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
                        Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

Lol that man is crazy...

Thanks for the link...time to plan how I can fit that on my car

Comment

There was a 'Junkyard Wars' episode where they had to build and implement jet engines on a car. It was an awesome episode. If I remember corectly they used propane as the fuel even.
                            2006 Chevy Colorado: VIA M10000 EDEN, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB 2.5" Seagate HDD, USB Slim Slot DVD/RW, Holux GPS, MobileVU 10.4" LCD (touch not working yet), VOOMPC Case (blue), 70W DC-DC supply.

Comment

The way I look at it, If you dont know how to build a GPS receiver there maybe you shouldnt try to build on. You'll probably end up frying all the component you bought and the computer you're trying to test it on. Don't be a cheap *** and save yourself the hassle and go buy one.

Edit: I re-read your question and it seems like you're asking us if you (personally) can build a GPS receiver. How can we tell you what your abilities are? We dont know.
                              NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                              If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Working...
                              X