useing bilt in cell phone GPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• useing bilt in cell phone GPS

ok so my nokia cell phone has a GPS bilt in... and i can use a data cable for files and pics and installing ****..

but now how do i get the GPS data off it

i hurd its possible but i cant find the right software
    Pete Kastner www.KastNERD.com

Originally posted by beaverpants
    ok so my nokia cell phone has a GPS bilt in... and i can use a data cable for files and pics and installing ****..

but now how do i get the GPS data off it

i hurd its possible but i cant find the right software
    I'm not exactly a cell phone guru, however, my understanding was that the gps enabled cell phones were primarily for 911 use. I didn't think there were any that gave a real time location. Being the xenophob that I am, I turned off this capability on my phone.

Comment

You could try using "HyperTerminal" or any other com port reader.

To see what data your phone is sending, if any.

I don't know the phone but my 6210 acts like a modem, you can send standard

"AT" commands. To control the phone.
      You will need to look at your phones user guide, to see what default, baud settings are i.e. 9600,n,8,1
      There is a Nokia AT command help file. "AT-help.pdf"
      If you cannot find it let me know I have a copy, I can send you.

Hope this helps.

Comment

No, the locator function is only available to fully qualified licensed services, and the only current one is E911

Comment

not entirely true. this varies by model, manufacturer, and carrier. i've got a motorola i88 through nextel that outputs standard NMEA information which my computer reads and i can use microsoft streets and trips software, and any other software that reads NMEA output from the device (phone).

many phones may not show actual locational data but may have the option to output compatible data to a computer or pocket device. check with the manufacturers information when shopping a phone. many phone manufacturers websites have the manual's available online and will show whether can be used for this type of feature or not.

Comment

Working...
          X