Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this GPS mouse good enough?

Hi,
    I found this GPS mouse for selling in the spanish Ebay, do you think is it good? will it work with Mapsonic?
    have a look here:
    http://cgi.es.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI....&category=3666
    Epia M10000
    PW80
    40GB 3,5"
    Touchscreen 7" Lilliput
    Still "housing" it.

I donīt know but it seems cheap and not ugly, but I still donīt have the carputer neither the GPS software
    Epia M10000
    PW80
    40GB 3,5"
    Touchscreen 7" Lilliput
    Still "housing" it.

Comment

I have the same unit and it works great, water proof, with a strong builtin magnet for the roof of the vehicle, drivers weren't a issue. Also, no problems with Routis, nor Street Atlas.

This forum is a big help, thanks.

Comment

how much is that gps in USD I am looking for a new one I had my stolen thay thot is was a xm antena

Comment

Has anyone used this unit, or something very similar (as some are on ebay, unless they are just labeled differently) inside the car, or in the trunk, ect... Basically, not mounted externally.

Or how about even on the bottom of the car, outside of course... possibly in the grill area? It would sort of hide it, especially if inside, but how will it affect reception?

Comment

Having metal between the GPS and the satellites will block their abillity to get signals. The GPS signals are very, very, very weak.
            Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
            http://hallert.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Kupop
              Has anyone used this unit, or something very similar (as some are on ebay, unless they are just labeled differently) inside the car, or in the trunk, ect... Basically, not mounted externally.

Or how about even on the bottom of the car, outside of course... possibly in the grill area? It would sort of hide it, especially if inside, but how will it affect reception?

Mine is mounted internally in the back glass of the car and it works great..havent NOT had a signal yet..

Comment

Originally posted by Chairboy
                Having metal between the GPS and the satellites will block their abillity to get signals. The GPS signals are very, very, very weak.
                I agree metal will block Satelite signals (GPS and XM), well I don't know that for a fact, but it sounds reasonable and have seen it stated many times.....

Now how about Fiberglass? I drive a Corvette and and getting really close to final install of my second carputer.... Will have XM-PCR and this same mouse GPS in the system.... Computer will be completely in the dash so I am planning on running the XM and GPS antenna straight up and mounting on the dash under the windshield.....

They will have a good line of sight most of the time, due to the steep slope of the widshield, until a point when the Sats might be behind the car, then the signals would have to go through the fiberglass roof....

I have heard that fiberglass is invisbale to satellite signals? Can anybody confirm this from first hand experience?

Thanks in adavance.

Comment

For J81Bird 1 Euro is 1.20249 USD just today
                  Check it on http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html
                  That means itīs better to buy in USA for an european that the opposite with this rates.

I donīt know anything about fiberglass, but I donīt trust on leaving the gps unit outside of the car, no no no, my city is not safe enough
                  But I trust on you telling me that this is a good receiver unit.
                  Epia M10000
                  PW80
                  40GB 3,5"
                  Touchscreen 7" Lilliput
                  Still "housing" it.

Comment

So it seems it wouldn't work with metal at all basically. Fiberglass might, any ideas on carbon fiber? I plan on getting one of those hoods for my car, so the GPS receiver would then be under carbon fiber. I guess this would be one of those trial and error situations, before I start mounting the stuff. I have a laptop so I can just hook it up and put the receiver in places and check with the laptop.

If this post or similar are around when I get to that stage I will fill you in on my findings. I do plan on getting a site together with pictures and all of that, so the info would be there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dug1967
                      I agree metal will block Satelite signals (GPS and XM), well I don't know that for a fact, but it sounds reasonable and have seen it stated many times.....

Now how about Fiberglass? I drive a Corvette and and getting really close to final install of my second carputer.... Will have XM-PCR and this same mouse GPS in the system.... Computer will be completely in the dash so I am planning on running the XM and GPS antenna straight up and mounting on the dash under the windshield.....

They will have a good line of sight most of the time, due to the steep slope of the widshield, until a point when the Sats might be behind the car, then the signals would have to go through the fiberglass roof....

I have heard that fiberglass is invisbale to satellite signals? Can anybody confirm this from first hand experience?

Thanks in adavance.
                      Is your roof panel removeable? Otherwise, if it's built like my Fiero, it's got a metal substructure under the fiberglass. Fiberglass isn't very condusive to surviving rollovers.

I'm not sure about Carbon fibre either, I think since it's density is closer to metal than fiberglass, it might act the same way.
                      Only one way to find out.

Don't most people mount them on the dash or rear deck? How's reception mounted by the window? Does it need a clear line of sight?

Cheers,

Kris
                      How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

Comment

Anyone know roughly what the dimensions of this GPS unit are? I'm thinking of putting it under the wiper cowl since people are saying this unit is water resistant.

Comment

How long is the accompanied usb cable?
                          '01 4runner ░ P3 866 ░ 128mb ░ 20gb HD ░ Radeon 9200SE PCI ░ SB PCI ░ Slim DVD/CD-RW ░ USB GPS ░ 7" Lilli vga TS ░ XP Pro ░ MC ░ Routis '04
                          ForemostWebHosting
                          SpeedGuyParts.com

Comment

Originally posted by j81bird
                            how much is that gps in USD I am looking for a new one I had my stolen thay thot is was a xm antena
                            How do you know what they though, hmmmm?

Comment

Working...
                            X