Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Not working on startup

Help!
    I have a Haicom 203 usb (serial bridge) gps reciever with Infomap Navigator and it works great, until I turn off or hibernate the pc.
    When I restart, it boots windows ok and all my other usb devices work fine, remote etc. but my gps doesn't.
    The serial bridge is missing from device manager and when I unplug it it makes no remove device noise. The gps reciever has power cos it's flashing.

When I plug it back in it works fine.

In essence it works, but because my pc is in the boot under a false floor it makes unplugging and plugging back in every time i switch the pc on a bit difficult.

Does anybody have any ideas?
    It's an Epia M10000 with XP professional.
    Thanks
    Mazda 323F
    Lilliput 7in
    Toshiba Tecra, MapMonkey, DVD, EZ Sync, Roadrunner

It's wierd cos the USB bridge vanishes from device manager on both restart and resume from hibernation. I have to unplug it and then plug it back in everytime.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the usb on the motherboard, could be wrong tho.
    Mazda 323F
    Lilliput 7in

Comment

Originally posted by danl
      Help!
      I have a Haicom 203 usb (serial bridge) gps reciever with Infomap Navigator and it works great, until I turn off or hibernate the pc.
      When I restart, it boots windows ok and all my other usb devices work fine, remote etc. but my gps doesn't.
      The serial bridge is missing from device manager and when I unplug it it makes no remove device noise. The gps reciever has power cos it's flashing.

When I plug it back in it works fine.

In essence it works, but because my pc is in the boot under a false floor it makes unplugging and plugging back in every time i switch the pc on a bit difficult.

Does anybody have any ideas?
      It's an Epia M10000 with XP professional.
      Thanks

Hi dani,

I hate to say it, you're not the only one with this problem and up to this date there is no fix (but to install xp service pack rc2).

Here is the originalthread

Tell us if you find a solution

Michael
      "It does not understand, if it does not ride."

M10000, 512 Mb, 2,5" 40G, Slim DVD, Opus 90W, Xenarc 7", Leadtek 9532 GPS,
      RoadRunner, MapMonkey, Pioneer HU, Pioneer 4 ch 400W, Kappa 6.5, Basslink X 200W

Comment

u can download xp Sp2 with any downloader like kazza

or try this page for a download www.kickassamd.com
        View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

If it loses connection on start-up then it doesn't sound like the usual hibernate problems that sp2 is supposed to fix. Is it on a hub or an extended cable? Have you tried with only the GPS connected and no other USB devices?
          Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

I've tried with just the gps plugged in but it's the same. I also tried devcon.exe to rescan and re-enable the device but that don't work either.
            So far only unplugging then plugging back in works.

I'm gonna try something else tho, I'll put a switch in the +5v of the usb cable coming from the gps to the pc and see if cutting the power and then switching it back on does anything. Hopefully it should work like I'm plugging it in again.
            Mazda 323F
            Lilliput 7in

Comment

Originally posted by danl
              I've tried with just the gps plugged in but it's the same. I also tried devcon.exe to rescan and re-enable the device but that don't work either.
              So far only unplugging then plugging back in works.

I'm gonna try something else tho, I'll put a switch in the +5v of the usb cable coming from the gps to the pc and see if cutting the power and then switching it back on does anything. Hopefully it should work like I'm plugging it in again.
              Good idea! Tell us if it works. I tried devcon yesterday, didn't work for me. I ordered a DB9 serial with ps/2 cable for the gps, unplugging is not an option. I also read that Griffin Powermate has the same prob.

@Laidback, this prob shows also with reboot/start as well as hibernate and not only with usb gps. Another symptom is that USB 2.0 devices get recognized as 1.1 devices.

Michael
              "It does not understand, if it does not ride."

M10000, 512 Mb, 2,5" 40G, Slim DVD, Opus 90W, Xenarc 7", Leadtek 9532 GPS,
              RoadRunner, MapMonkey, Pioneer HU, Pioneer 4 ch 400W, Kappa 6.5, Basslink X 200W

Comment

Originally posted by fly_dutchie
                @Laidback, this prob shows also with reboot/start as well as hibernate and not only with usb gps. Another symptom is that USB 2.0 devices get recognized as 1.1 devices.

Michael
                Oh ok, I thought it was just a problem with resuming from standby/hibernate.
                I stand corrected
                Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Sorry for my bad english.

I have the same problem with my gps reciever on Windows 2000 SP4 so Sp4 did not fix the problem.
                  Does XP SP2 fix it?

It seems lite it's the usb-serial driver wich not working after hibernate/stanby in my case. Maybe you have the same drivers for your devices.

I can use devcon most of the time disable and enable it but sometimes an restart is needed.

Comment

Try to upgrade the mobo USB driver. That is how I get my Earthmate USB to function after hibernate. Also I try to "Enable" mobo support for USB keyboard. I am not sure which of the 2 help Earthmate work after hibernate.
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Where do I find the newest mobo USB driver? I have win 2000 sp4 does not the newest drivers been inculded there. I can't find it on microsofts homepage.
                      Enable support for usb keyboard did not fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
                        I had the same mouse, didn't have issues with losing it on hibernate, but my GPS software did.

But all I had to do was restart the GPS part of the software.
                        Maybe my gps is working but the problem is in Destinator. How did you just restart the gps part? or was that in route 66??

Comment

route 66.

with route 66 yo have to tell it to use the GPS each time you run it (it's not automatic) and when you do it initialises it's connection with it. So I just stopped the GPS function and then restarted it.

Destinator I'm having all sorts of problems with when using with MediaCAr, has a tendancy to crash it after I come out of it.

Comment

I have same problem as you with Destinator. It crash very easy.
                            I haven't run it without mediacar is it stable without medicar?
                            have not the possibility to test i now.

Comment

Working...
                            X