Best GPS refresh rate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best GPS refresh rate?

Hi, GPS and navigation is a new venture for me. Making the assumption that different GPS receivers query positioning data at different rates, I am looking for a GPS receiver with a high refresh rate (ie. one that receives data around at least 5 times per second, the higher the better), that would be compatible with Routis 2004 or Copilot 2003. Can the GPS people please share their hardware setups. (Again, I am looking for a GPS receiver with a VERY high refresh rate).

any help is appreciated, thx
    '03 Acura TL PC FINISHED!!
    MP3CAR

Update rate has a range of 1-255 seconds, this is evident in the datasheets covering NMEA, SiRF, and possibly Rockwell. I'm sure there are other protocols, but it seems the lowest update rate is 1 second. It is not so much the update rate as it is the accuracy of the gps device that matters. I would recommend something WAAS enabled. 1 second is perfectly fine for civillian gps usage anyway as it is perfect for speed calculations, etc.

Comment

i think the garmin 16a has it at 5 times a second. Ive been trying to order one but they are currently backordered everywhere.
      I wish i knew how to do fiberglass work...

Comment

Garmin GPS 16A Sensor Features:

WAAS-enabled, 12 parallel channel GPS receiver

GPS accuracy- Position: <15 meters, 95% typical; Velocity: 0.1 kt RMS

DGPS accuracy- Position: 3-5 meters, 95% typical; Velocity: 0.1 kt RMS

WAAS accuracy- Position: <3 meters, 95% typical; Velocity: 0.1 kt RMS

Dynamics: 999 knots, 6g's

Update rate: 1 to 900 seconds between updates; programmable in 1 second increments

Map datums: 108 predefined, 1 user

Serial Interface:
        Port 1: Selectable between NMEA and GarminŽ. NMEA 0183 v2.00 (ASCII), GPALM, GPGGA, GPGSA, GPGSV, GPRMC, GPVTG, GPGLL, PGRME, PGRMF, PGRMT, PGRMV output
        Port 2: RTCM only; RTCM SC-104 differential input message types 1, 2, 3, 7 and 9

Cable: foil-shielded 8 conductor, 28 AWG

Baud rates: 300/600/1200/2400/4800/9600/19200

PPS output: 1 Hz pulse, programmable width, 1 microsecond accuracy

Input voltage: 8-40V DC unregulated

Input current -
        65 mA @ 12 Vdc
        28 mA @ 40 Vdc

Sensitivity- -165 dBW minimum

Temperature range- Operating -30° to 80°C, Storage -40° to 80°C

Physical size- 3.54 (90mm) diameter, 1.65" (42mm) height

Weight: .46 lb (without cable); 1.1 lb (with 5 meter cable)

Waterproof to IEC 529 IPX7 standards

Comment

so im better off just getting the normal garmin 16. I didnt know that that the 200ms is only in the "garmin" format.

Thanks man, just saved me some money
          I wish i knew how to do fiberglass work...

Comment

Thanks for the info....I guess the best i can do now is get an accurate precise GPS (and one with waas enabled). dignome- what are you using?
            MP3CAR

Comment

I'm using a USB Earthmate... however I do not recommend buying this. DeLorme's Stree Atlas 2004 has had many complaints about inaccuracy in the maps, along with their shotty windows usbserial driver. Personally, I would have saved myself a headache and gone with another gps mouse.

Comment

I would be using routis 2004, if i'm sorrect, it works with any NMEA 2.0 GPS? I would prefer not to get a mouse-GPS, but just the receiver....is there anything else
                MP3CAR

Comment

so im better off just getting the normal garmin 16. I didnt know that that the 200ms is only in the "garmin" format.

I also thought the 5Hz update works on NMEA mode. I really wanted to buy this too now a have a reason not to as I already got the GPS16.

Comment

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/66_GPS...cification.pdf

According to 3.2.1.2 which states "Sentences are transmitted at a fixed 200-millisecond interval."... it looks like it can do this with NMEA sentences.

1.4.3.3 Sentence Rate

(GPS 16A only) 1 second independent update rate, propagated every 200 milliseconds.

The one pulse per second nonsense kind of threw me off, this just means that the full sentence routine must go through once per second (this could mean that each individual line in the sentence is sent every 200ms... then again I thought most gps devices do this?). On a side note, I've just taken over Iraq's new Minister of Information position.

Comment

I have the GPS 16A, and it sends NMEA sentences at 19200 bit/s with 200ms per cycle
                      I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
                      NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
                      http://www.navsys.org/

Comment

I have the GPS 16A, and it does NMEA at 200ms

Cool, which software that support that much update?

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
                          I have the GPS 16A, and it does NMEA at 200ms

Cool, which software that support that much update?
                          my soft, http://www.navsys.org will
                          I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...

Comment

I don't think anything less than 1 second would be practical for the normal driving purpose, unless you're riding a rocket or airplane @ high speed & want to see a "visually cosmetic" smooth trail plotting on your mapping software ...

Comment

depends what you're doing. it helps to have more points for mapping, as that helps smoothing the curves out, and detecting the gps receiver going haywire when you're stopped

Comment

Working...
                              X