GPS/Navigation Newbie Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS/Navigation Newbie Questions

I'm new to this site but i always wanted to put my laptop into my car and used it as my radio/music/movies/gps/navigation system.....As of now i have a sony viao laptop
    I have plans on getting a Datalux touchscreen monitor lmv10r and hooking my laptop to taht...and installing the touchscreen into my dash. How would i install this gps/navigational system?
    What is needed to make this happen? do i need some kind of gps software for the computer and a reciever to track my position? Please inform me and i am new to this board so take it easy if i didnt post something right or said something wrong....Thankz
    -David
    2000 Silver Mustang GT Convertible
    10.4" Touchscreen Monitor Custom Fabricated in Center Console, 2.0ghz Intel P4 , 120gb, 128 DDR Ram, Nothing Special.....

There's nothing wrong with putting up a touch screen for GPS laptop. The only problem is that many GPS software written for laptop do not support touch screen interface - at least not yet, until the GPS industry is becoming more mature .... Unless your touch screen has some sort of driver that can be reprogrammed/remapped to match the touch area with the software display ...

For the receiver, there're plenty out there. I suggest you may want to try the TN-200 USB receiver from Rayming (www.rayming.com) as I found it to be solid built for in/outside of your car & weather resistant. The one from Delorme can be used ONLY inside your car .... Rayming also has a list of software that can be used with its receiver, anything that supports the NMEA 0183 protocol ... Microsoft Streets & Trips or MapPoint is a good choice for beginner ... You may drive around with it for a while to get the look & feel of driving with a GPS system before eventually you will upgrade to a more sophisticated software that fits your need ...

For power, a 12V-to-110V inverter would be fine. Many laptop power supplies do have voltage regulator to prevent power fluctuation from your car battery ...

Good luck !!!

Comment

what u mean? dosent the touchscreen monitor makes your fingers your mouse? I will also hav a wireless keyboard too would that help? for typing inmy destination? is this software windows based? because if its is wouldnt it work?
      10.4" Touchscreen Monitor Custom Fabricated in Center Console, 2.0ghz Intel P4 , 120gb, 128 DDR Ram, Nothing Special.....

Comment

sure ... destinator sdk 2.0 works fine with touch ...

look at mediaengine.org ....

the buttons are pretty big ... (look in the gps pic ... you can see the menu icon etc) ...

if not convinced ill post a pic of the destinator sdk 2.0 (pc) menu

ohh ... also .. no real need for wireless keyboard ... you could use a onscreen keyboard .. (that might not work for everyone ... maybe if you use stylus etc)

Comment

o i c so no need for the keyboard? and i can dl the onscreen keyboard with stylus? is that the program?

Comment

Working...
          X