Garmin nRoute Software for Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin nRoute Software for Laptop

I saw this today and thought it might be of interest. Garmin is releasing a pc version of their nRoute software. Don't know anything about the software, but I've seen alot of people singing the praises of their GPS units on this page. Here's a link to the Garmin page:
    http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/

At $162.49 for the software and a bundled GPS mouse seemed like a decent deal if the software is good.
    '03 Sierra Denali

I am also curious about this. Before finding out that the Garmin USB 18 is only compatible with the Garmin Software i ordered it. My thought was that if the nroute software isn't good, then i can just use something else. I guessed wrong, now I am wondering if i should not even open the USB18 and return it or give it a try if it's good.

It should be here in a couple days, so i'm just wondering what to do. I think i'd like to go with something that has more software compatibility

Comment

Originally posted by Dracord
      I am also curious about this. Before finding out that the Garmin USB 18 is only compatible with the Garmin Software i ordered it. My thought was that if the nroute software isn't good, then i can just use something else. I guessed wrong, now I am wondering if i should not even open the USB18 and return it or give it a try if it's good.

It should be here in a couple days, so i'm just wondering what to do. I think i'd like to go with something that has more software compatibility
      Email them and ask if its NMEA compatable.
      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
      GammaControl v2.4
      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
        Email them and ask if its NMEA compatable.
        From their page

GPS 18 FAQ
        Q: "Can I use the GPS 18 USB with other non-Garmin software?"
        A: "No. The GPS 18 USB produces data ONLY in the Garmin proprietary format and so is compatible ONLY with Garmin mapping products, or other software products that can decipher Garmin protocol such as FUGAWI software. It CANNOT be used with non-Garmin software which requires NMEA input."

However the Serial connection and bare wire one can use other software, i don't know why.

Comment

the USB version you can't use with any other software other than Garmin.
          I have the Garmin 18 USB and IT was the reason to install a carputer.
          since I don't know any other GPS and this was my first, I have nothing to compare it to.
          but so far so good, I'm happy with it and the only thing I could think of that I would like is a 3D picture of the roads.
          other than that I haven't found anything wrong with it so far.

Found this site and discovered carputers on 11/25/04
          Working carputer installed on 12/07/04

Tview 7" VGA Touch Screen
          VIA EPIA 800C3 motherboard
          256mb RAM
          30gig HD
          60Watt DC-DC Molex & ITPS
          Garmin GPS18
          OBD-II on Serial port
          Frodoplayer

Comment

Is it compatible with touchscreen software? Or do you input data with a keyboard

Comment

I use touch screen and for waypoint input or smaller stuff the mouse.
              but yes, everything works with touch screen.

256mb RAM
              30gig HD
              Garmin GPS18
              OBD-II on Serial port
              Frodoplayer

Comment

what's waypoint input?

Comment

Originally posted by Dracord
                  what's waypoint input?
                  If you stand in front of your favorite strip club, you can set this place as a waypoint and name it whatever you want (e.g. "grocery store" ).
                  to name it I use the keyboard.

256mb RAM
                  30gig HD
                  Garmin GPS18
                  OBD-II on Serial port
                  Frodoplayer

Comment

I use the Garmin GPS 18USB with NRoute on my laptop (I'm in the process of building a carputer) and I really like it. Talks you through turns, finds nearest places (grocery stores, gas stations, pretty much anything). I like it.

Comment

nRoute is a very good program. I really liked it. I took it back though for the microsoft street's and trips which comes with a NMEA compatiable GPS mouse. Although I do not like the software as much as nRoute, it does work with my other GPS software (Destonator and Netstumbler) and it was $15 cheaper than my Garmin USB18 (~$140 w/ tax). nRoute had auto reroute features, voice announcing, a comprehesive satellite information center, and much more. The POI's seemed to be minimal, but once I switched to other GPS applications I realized that nRoute wasn't that bad. Aside from it not finding 1 of the 7 gas stations within 5 miles of my house, it did not find any fast food restruatants we have (Sonic, Taco Mayo, and Pizza Hut) or the local hospital. Still, I was much more pleased with nRoute than I am with Streets and Trips. I think I'm going to settle with Destonator 3 (by NinjaMonkey) once I get my USA maps in the mail.

Have fun.
                      -z0rz
                      Car PC Status: [XX|xxxxxxxx] 20% Done
                      Waiting on Lilliput to come in
                      My Worklog Site My Worklog Post

Comment

I'm getting this with my GPS18 PC, it will come with the city select v6 and the nRoute unlocked. Price is good at ~$120 shipped from gpscity.com I've heard a lot of good things about this one.

Comment

I'm completely new to the carputer thing but the one thing I know I want to use is Garmin's nRoute. I am already familiar with the Garmin interface and have a collection of their Canadian maps that I need to use. So my main concern becomes how well does this software work on a 7" touchscreen? I assume some type of touchscreen software must be used. What would be recommended? Thanks.

Comment

i just set my stuff up, and nroute looks great... in the info/help, it says optimized/created for 1024x728
                            [4Runna]

next - wifi

Comment

mine's at 800x600, but it's not too bad. words are small, but that voice is loud like thunder. anyway to turn down just the voice nav volume? without turning down main, or wave or something?

Comment

Working...
                              X