GPS underneath the dash - it might work for ya

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS underneath the dash - it might work for ya

Just thought I'd throw out another installation option for gps devices.

I have the delorme earthmate usb gps running street atlas 2004. I originally tested in the front dash and it worked great, rarely ever had less than 4 satelites to pick up from. I wanted to put it in the back window but for some reason it just barely worked sometimes. Maybe it's the rear defroster or the window, I don't know but I knew I had to put it in the front windshield.

So I decided to install it underneath the dashboard right in the center. I have a 2004 accord and you can pull off the top center piece in the dashboard and intall it underneath that and it will work fine(at least for me). I didn't notice any difference between being on top and underneath.

So if you have a dahboard with a panel that can be removed it might be an option for you. It's better than letting it sit out with the ever so attracting "steal me yellow" color.

- Kyle

It pains me when I read about you lucky people who can put your GPS units inside your cars. My Ford F150 has something in the glass because inside the truck I get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Not one bird locks on. As soon as it goes out the window, I get 10-11 within 30 seconds. Very frustrating...
    "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b@$#*??!!"

Comment

That's where I have mine...right inside the dash where the OEM navigation antenna is supposed to go. It's not quite as good as sitting it on top of the dash, but still good.
      2004 4runner

Comment

inside the tundra my earthmate locks onto 8+ sats. In the jeep.... i'm lucky to get 3.
        car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Originally posted by gubon13
          It pains me when I read about you lucky people who can put your GPS units inside your cars. My Ford F150 has something in the glass because inside the truck I get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Not one bird locks on. As soon as it goes out the window, I get 10-11 within 30 seconds. Very frustrating...
          2003 GMC Sierra 8-9 satellites sitting on the dash ...
          '03 Sierra Denali

Comment

I'd definately say that different types of windshields and rear windows seem to come into play. I have know idea what sets them apart but it's something.

- Kyle

Comment

This is exactly where I was planning on putting my GPS mouse, in the dash. I tried it the other day by simply putting the mouse in the glove compartment and I still had a signal, although I may have lost one sat. Well hidden.
              Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

The reason some of you guys are having trouble is some car manufactures are experimenting with 'metalic' glass as far as i know. And metalic glass is deadly for an type of radio signal, especially such a weak one like a gps signal.
                Mark

Car'Puter Project
                - Xenarc 700TSV
                - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
                - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
                - M2-ATX
                - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
                - Garmin 15H GPS
                - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

So if I have a GTP with the heads up display, am I going to have a weak signal because of the special glass?
                  12.1 kiosk (screen separated), 99 gtp

Comment

Originally posted by gibsonian
                    So if I have a GTP with the heads up display, am I going to have a weak signal because of the special glass?
                    I always that that 'special' glass was for the defrosting of windows. Not because of the HUD. If I remember right, the HUD windshield has a special reflective layer that keeps the HUD from producing a double image and makes it more visable in daylight.

There are several members in here with HUD that would probably know for certain.
                    Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

Would tint affect it at all?

Comment

there's another topic on problems with GPS from inside the car, couldn't name it off the top of my head. A Daimler etc mechanic had some interesting stuff to say about possible causes, which he did not think included metalic windshields...
                        car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

I have a dashcover on my supra. Stick the GPS under the cover have the same affect as put on top. On open sky, it was able to pickup 10 sat or 11 the highest sometime but mostly 5 or 6.
                          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

MoniraInc - Yes, certain types of tint can also degrade the signal or even make it very hard to read, but most of the standard tints don't do any harm. i know myself i have my delorme receiver going thru tint without any problem.
                            Mark

Car'Puter Project
                            - Xenarc 700TSV
                            - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
                            - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
                            - M2-ATX
                            - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
                            - Garmin 15H GPS
                            - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

Oh those metallic tin really affect the signal. My GPS will NOT work (wifi very week) if I put it in the back. Move to the front, works wonder.
                              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Working...
                              X