Map Point 2004

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Point 2004

Hey guys...long time browser..never post on here, i used to WAY back in the day, 5-6 years ago....anyways I've got Map Point 2004 software, i was wondering if its worth it (its free) or if i would be better off purchasing a different GPS program. i currently have no GPS unit, and am in the market for one. is there a USB unit that will work best with map point 2004...or even better, one that works with multiple programs without a hitch? anything i should stay away from? as of now its strictly for on my laptop...since my carputer is out for an overhaul.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Not to piggy-back, but I was just about to ask the same question I also have access to Mappoint, but I haven't heard much about it yet. I'm also looking at Routis, which one is better?

As for the USB units, Mellman, I just ordered the generic one off eBay. AFAIK (from reading these boards among other things), the USB GPS "mouse" should work with all GPS Software without much problem.

Comment

MP2K4 is OK - great if it's free. I actually prefer it because it give me what I need (data/waypoint integration). What it doesn't give you is directional routing (turn right here), it also does not recalculate a route from your current position - in case you drive past your exit/turn off. If it had a Goto function that would be cool - but it's not in there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by cw95403
        MP2K4 is OK - great if it's free. I actually prefer it because it give me what I need (data/waypoint integration). What it doesn't give you is directional routing (turn right here), it also does not recalculate a route from your current position - in case you drive past your exit/turn off. If it had a Goto function that would be cool - but it's not in there yet.
        For routing in MapPoint you either need the AGPS add-on or search this forum for 'Voices'. Even then, it's not fantastic as it wasn't built for it.
        Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

I thought Mappoint was a replacement for Streets and Trips? I also thought that streets and trips did give you directional routing, at least on paper it did. I don't know....I'm just a newbie with no gps experience so I'll just back out now.

Comment

well upon my quick run for food supplies to costco i stumbled upon streets and trips 2004...for $13. and i sortof answered my own questions...now , is there somewhere i can read to figure out which is the "best" program, i do like the "turn right here" stuff...oh well, I see all these other programs...but see nowhere a "general review" of their pro's con's and features...anyone?

Comment

Map Point 2004 LOVE IT!

I love Microsoft Mappoint, with the AGPS add on at http://www.techgt.com/agps/ for $10 it makes Microsoft Map Point one of the better ones, not only are you supporting a great programmer who took the time to make this add on. You have amazing up to date maps from Microsoft Map Point 2004, it is hard to find good mapping software to Canada. The amount of NEW data from 2002 to 2004 is amazing.

Spending $10 on the AGPS add on is worth it for sure if you are getting Mappoint free from somewhere. The add-on even says the street name! "Turn right on 1st Avenue".

Comment

I have MapPoint 2004 and the maps are excellent. However I have a few gripes with it and I eventually stopped using it because I got my hands on Street Atlas 2004.

MP doesnt recieve data from my GPS automatically on startup. MP's GUI isnt touch-screen friendly (too small) and when I resume from a hybernate MP gets mad at me because it doesnt recieve GPS data while the PC is off and gives me an error when I resume the GPS.

If anybody has any free tools to make MP a little better I'm all for it hehe
                1994 Toyota Celica
                Dual Battery Tank System
                Intel Mobo/Celery 2.2GHz + & 160gb HDD (w/ 12v power supply)
                Cat5 ports and 120v AC power plugs in console (600 watt inverter in trunk)
                Underbody and Interior lighting

LAN Party on wheels!

Comment

See Above!

See above AGPS, free to try $10 to register to get the Turn by Turn features.

Comment

I am using MP 2004 with AGPS pluggin and Delorme USB GPS and liking it alot. However, it would be great if MP have the option to rotates map so that your heading is always up.

Comment

Map Point... hmmm nope... Streets And Trips is much better... using it with a Magellan GPS via NEMA... works like a charm... easy to read on a 7" screen... when fonts are adjusted... and great with a wireless keyboard for hot keys... only wish it did auto routing and re-routing when you go off course... could also be helpful to have turn by turn voice comands... Just used it for a trip to York, PA for a car show... directions were 95% accurate from Niagara Falls down...
                      65 Mustang (Black on Black), 289 V8 Done up...
                      Purple Neon (Chassis and Engine)
                      Lilliput 7" Touch Screen, P3 Laptop (DVD, MP3, GPS)
                      Pioneer Audio (Two 6x9's, Two 5 1/4's, Two 3 1/2's and a 10" Sub)