Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• epia m10k + lilliput => gps blocker?

(PROBLEM SLOVED, see last post)

alright guys, I need some RF expert to help me out here.

I have a EPIA m10k mobo (laptop hd, dvd rom) + lilliput screen regulated by itps to a morex 60w psu. Here's what I discover:

My usb gps mouse will see the satellites under my front windshield, but it would never be able to get a lock. My lilliput is mounted on top of my dash. All the cables and wires are routed inside the dash to the computer under my glove box. I found out that if I turn the lilliput off, the gps was able to get a lock in seconds. So I thought the lcd was producing interference with the gps when on. However, if I connect Lilliput to a laptop instead of the mini-itx box, the gps locks the satellite too.

I figure that it gotta be the combination of m10k's onboard video device + lilliput resulted the problem. If I put the gps on the roof, I could get inconsistent lockings (I guess the metal roofing shields some interference). I have tested both the ebay gps mouse unit and delorme's earthmate unit, and they yield the same result.

I tried to tin foil the lilliput cable and the mini-itx box, but there was no difference. (however, I didn't ground the tin foil either. would that make any difference?)

Does anyone have similar experience or has any idea on how to fix this problem? You would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

will it still lock with the liliput connected to the laptop AND leaving the mini-itx powered on?

Tom
    VIA EPIA M9000/120 GB/Xenarc 700TSV/Opus 90W DC-DC
    Haicom GPS/3Com 11g Wi-Fi/D-Link BT
    WinXP/myHTPC/InfoMap Navigator Eu/PhoneControl w/T68i
    Blaupunkt HU & speakers/Velocity active subs/Alpine amps

Progress: removed while waiting for nano-itx

Comment

I have the same setup (ebay mouse), I have had the same problem as you. But I don't have it anymore. Don't know what I did. But it may have something to do with that I now have the mouse connected to the extra USB-port. The one connected to the MB by a cable. Before I had it connected to the MB usb.
      I have mine on the inside of the windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by TommieG
        will it still lock with the liliput connected to the laptop AND leaving the mini-itx powered on?

Tom
        Yes, it will lock. As long as the lilliput is not connected to the mini-itx, the gps locks.

Comment

Originally posted by storm
          I have the same setup (ebay mouse), I have had the same problem as you. But I don't have it anymore. Don't know what I did. But it may have something to do with that I now have the mouse connected to the extra USB-port. The one connected to the MB by a cable. Before I had it connected to the MB usb.
          I have mine on the inside of the windshield.
          storm do you connect it with a usb extension? or a usb hub? Is your mobo M10k?

Comment

did you try STORM's suggestion to try another USB port?

Comment

Originally posted by TommieG
              did you try STORM's suggestion to try another USB port?
              I used an extension cable => no difference.
              I switched it to a different usb port on the mobo => no difference.
              I have not tried an usb hub, but why would it make any difference in terms of interference?

Comment

Originally posted by NaFooEsi
                I used an extension cable => no difference.
                I switched it to a different usb port on the mobo => no difference.
                I have not tried an usb hub, but why would it make any difference in terms of interference?
                Maybe a power issue?
                Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
                  Maybe a power issue?
                  I know that it's not a power issue, because I had my friend in the car with a laptop connected to an independent gps to test the issue. When my lcd is on, he would lose lock on his gps. When the lcd is off, he would get the lock back.

It's very strange, and frustrating!!

The one scenario I have not test is to connect the mini-itx to a crt monitor to see if same thing happens...

Comment

Have you tested it without touchpanel, just connecting vga to lilliput. It could be a conflict between gps and touchpanel.

Hope you can sort it out...

Comment

I found out from a couple member that their m10k + lilliput works fine with the gps.....

I'm starting to wonder whether if it's the psu that I'm using. I have the ITPS with morex box, which comes with a 60w psu.

Would it be possible that the psu generates interferences when the lcd is turned on (draws more power?) but my lcd is powered by ignition tho....

Comment

Originally posted by vvog
                        Have you tested it without touchpanel, just connecting vga to lilliput. It could be a conflict between gps and touchpanel.

Hope you can sort it out...
                        Yes, I disconnected the usb touch screen cable, and it didn't make any difference.
                        If I disconnect the vga cable, the lcd loses signal and the gps locks fine.
                        If I connect the vga cable to a laptop instead of the mini-itx, the gps locks fine.

Anyone have the setup like mine?
                        m10k (512mb,40gb,dvd) + morex 60w psu + ITPS + lilliput

Ignition powers the lilliput and also triggers the ITPS.

Comment

I see from another thread that the liliput causes trouble to radios, too.
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=28749

It seems that your concern about interference was right......
                          Hope that you eventually will sort it out.

Tom

Comment

I have a similar problem with GPS. I could not get a lock no matter what. Right now I can tho. I have it pluged into the front of the morex case and used a USB extension and ran it to the back of my car, top corner of window. Now I can get a lock.

I am having the problem with the radio!! Heres a picture of my unshielded ribbon cable. I think that might be the cause but not sure.
                            Attached Files
                            Remember AllAdvantage From 7 years ago? IT IS BACK! Now under a new name Agloco
                            GET PAID TO SURF THE INTERNET

Comment

running the usb extension is not a true solution tho. I got tint on the back window, so that doesn't help the reception either...

Comment

Working...
                              X