Window Tint's effect on GPS signal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Tint's effect on GPS signal

It would appear that the degradation of GPS signal into my car was not caused by the defroster lines, but instead caused by elements within the factory tint on the rear window.

For many weeks I was experiencing low GPS signal stength and temporary losses of satellite lock. About ten days ago I replaced my factory tint (35%) with a new darker limo tint (5%). After testing the GPS with the new tint I found that performance of the GPS receiver had increased significantly. The GPS can now lock quickly (5-15 seconds) even while initializing at high speeds.

I'm assuming the factory tint was composed of a more metallic film than that of the aftermarket tint.

I hope this information is useful.

Vehicle: 97 Lexus SC300
    GPS receiver: Delorme Earthmate USB w/ latest drivers
    GPS software: Routis 2004
    GPS reciever location: passenger side of rear deck
    Attached Files
    Mercedes Benz CLK 430

cool. that's good to know i will try to mount the gps receiver in the front dash or something now

Comment

Originally posted by ombastic
      cool. that's good to know i will try to mount the gps receiver in the front dash or something now
      if you dont have metallic tint on the rear window, you should be ok back there
      Mercedes Benz CLK 430

Comment

thats really strange, I have metallic quantum silver tint on my car, and I only lose one satelite in routis when I place the reciever back there. I drop from like eight to seven satelites. that is quite strange you have this issue

edit: I should mention its a 2001 civic with 19% quantum tint on the rear windshield using an earthmate zUSB gps reciever in routis as well.

wierd!

Comment

Working...
        X