Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PocketPC software emulated on desktop PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PocketPC software emulated on desktop PC?

I STF and found this: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ketpc+emulator .... but I wasnt very happy with the lack of response from those threads. I tried the links and they arent what I was hoping for. So this question again.... does anyone know of a Pocket PC emulatore that can be used on a desktop PC (or in this case, a car PC). I would like to run Destinator 3 this way.

Cheers.

EDIT: I actually own a pocket pc also, but I cant plug my USB GPS receiver into it.

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
    DOS 6.22 - MPXF - 2x16 LCD - 6.4GB
    Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - Tank batt relay - 100GB
    Car PC v3 - 2008
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - 802.11g - FM/XM - OBDII - WWW

[||||||||||||||----] 80% complete

google "virtualCE"
    Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

I have been looking for something like that for some time now. I haven't found one yet. I checked Virtual CE but that is to control your PDA, not emulate the OS. Any other suggestions?
      Peter
      Stop Buying New Music CD's.
      Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

I had been looking for a pocket pc emulator also.. I want to get a project going to emulate the Garmin StreetPilot 26x0 series gps, and the hardware is very very similar to the hardware in a pocketpc.

Unfortunately, I don't think any emulators exist :-/ Emulating the Xscale architecture is no small feat (Probably on par with emulating powerpc, which has only recently gotten decent emulation)
        MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
        See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
        Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
        Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
        BMW I-Bus Integration
        My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

I've been able to us the PC as a Palm Emulator, of course, it's only for the palm operating system rather than PocketPC. Have you tried the development tools from Microsoft? I've heard that this works as an emulator, but I haven't tried it myself.

Microsoft® eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 tool?

Comment

I downloaded the tools but didnt really figure out what to do with it. It runs some sort of command line interface.

Does anyone know if there are plans to make a proper emulator for the ppc? or will this never happen?

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
            DOS 6.22 - MPXF - 2x16 LCD - 6.4GB
            Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
            XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - Tank batt relay - 100GB
            Car PC v3 - 2008
            XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - 802.11g - FM/XM - OBDII - WWW

[||||||||||||||----] 80% complete

Comment

Emulating an Xscale cpu and the rest of the architecture to go with it at a decent speed is a hard problem -- it's as hard as emulating a powerpc based macintosh, which has only recently been done to a somewhat satisfactory degree (sheepshaver, pearpc)

I have found some resources on emulating an ARM4; fewer on ARM7.. and about 0 on ARM9.. On top of the problem of no code existing, the speed would mandate a JIT recompiler So get cracking!
              MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
              See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
              Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
              Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
              BMW I-Bus Integration
              My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

Microsoft offers PocketPC 2003se and Windows Mobile 5.0 device emulator images for developers to test software they are developing.

As long as you have a Valid copy of Windows you can download these for free from microsoft's website.

I think this may be what you guys have been looking for. If someone takes a stab at it, please do post a reply on how it goes.

PocketPC 2003se Emulator - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Windows Mobile 5.0 Emulator - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                X