GPS RX with a serial DB9 to USB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS RX with a serial DB9 to USB

I have a GPS RX with a Serial DB9 connector and my CarPC only has an available USB port. I do have an available PCMCIA slot but I can't find the correct card. Can I use a USB to Serial DB9 cable adapter or do I also need software to make this work? I have been reading about virtual port and have read the thread with the USB GPS but I am still unsure. Any help will be appriciated.
    Man who stands on toilet is high on pot

The USB to Serial converter does exactly what you want. It adds a serial port to your computer. The converter requires a driver and it should be included with the converter. After that, your serial GPS software will not even know that USB is involved. The only caveat to this is if you unplug the converter while your software is running. Depending on the driver, this may cause the serial port to completely disappear from the system. Many serial software designers don't anticipate this happening and thus it can sometimes produce unexpected results in your software (i.e. crash or hang).
    2004 4runner

Comment

You may have compatibility problem with USB-Serial converter.

I read somewhere that some serial device dont like them too well. I dont know if its just a poorly designed converter or what...but do a search before buying one

Comment

I'd recommend an FTDI based serial converter. It's a damn good unit compared to the belkin and cypress based converters I'm also using.

Comment

Originally posted by dignome
          I'd recommend an FTDI based serial converter. It's a damn good unit compared to the belkin and cypress based converters I'm also using.
          Are any of these on ebay FTDI based?

http://search.ebay.com/usb-to-serial...ectZ1QQfromZR8
          Man who stands on toilet is high on pot

Comment

Here a few, not buy it now though.

http://search-desc.ebay.com/ftdi_W0Q...QsosortorderZ1

On the link you provided... the items marked as " *** Garmin GPS Cable USB to serial RS232 Converter ***" look a lot like the ftdi based unit I bought a while back. If that picture is of the actual item, I recognize it by the long cable and the db25/db9 adapter they provide as well. Don't quote me on this though.

Comment

Working...
            X